Pet Shop Boys shade Taylor "Where are the famous songs?"

Shelter

4 hours ago, Raiden said:

Not really.

There's no evidence those two songs are in any significant way more famous than, say,  "You belong with me" or "Bad Blood" and a couple more others. All you did is just mention major singles of different albums. So Pet Shop Boys and other critics are spot on — there has not been even one stand out Taylor Swift song that can be objectively described as a mass pop-cultural phenomenon or even the favorite of smaller but elite, refined music aficionados. And no, that doesn't mean she is an album artist. Album artists have ionic albums but nevertheless also have iconic songs, songs that individually stood out regardless of whether they were album headliners or not. Bob Dylan, Beatles, Queen, you name it — they all had songs that are jumping out from the rest of their repertoire, some were instant hits, others became classics as time went by. But when I think of Taylor Swift I think of not one song which seems grander than the rest. She keeps churning out new hits year after year, all of which seem to perform similar on the charts (relatively successful) but it has a short shelf/lifespan — cuz the next one comes and grabs all the attention so whichever one is old will instantly fade away — melt into the same mushy plain vanilla background where all her past songs are buried.

I don't like Shake It Off, but there's really no disputing that it's a cultural staple that will be heard in supermarkets, radio and weddings for years to come. And your claim about Taylor's hits not having longevity are interestingly timed, when she's in the midst of a multi-year smash song that will likely finish 2nd on the year-end Hot 100 (5 years after release) and is one of the five longest-running top 10s of all time.

• Like 1

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thequeenofpopmadonna

• WildHeart

• LIDDOATIN

• Shelter

He kinda ate. Who remembers any of the BTS songs, and they were all smashes when you just look at chart position and numbers.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

Girl i could write a thesis on Taylor's media manipulation pre-dating her debut. You're probably too far gone to last past a dissertation title judging by your cheap strawman to slick off tangent to another artist. 

Go Girl, Write it, perhaps that helps you with your frustation. :bibliahh:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well they didn't lie. She is very successful chart-wise, but her hits lack that "classic" component. If you put her hits next to, for example, Madonna's hits, the comparison is just laughable. 

To be fair though, I don't think "classic hits" are produced anymore. The hits from 2010s and 2020s are nowhere near close the classic hits of the 70s, 80s, 90s. 

• Thanks 9
  • Thumbs Down 1

My thread is a hit. Thank you Neil 

spacer.png

• Haha 7

you know, Taylor have a LOT of great songs but i do feel like she doesn't have a MASSIVE timeless classic like Billie Jean, Bohemian Rhapsody or Toxic 

like her discography is very linear, a lot of good albumes but very few highs 

maybe blank space is her thriller? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ger.vaz said:

Go Girl, Write it, perhaps that helps you with your frustation. :bibliahh:

I'm on a music forum doing music forum things.

Leave the dramatics for the victimhood subtext peppered in between the lines of your fav's lyrics. :michael:

• Thanks 1

Nobody genuinely believes this and anyone claiming to the contrary does not like her. Which is more than fine, but you don't need to lie in order to express that.

Edited by mxoonlight
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

oh so he released a new album that's why Taylor's name was brought up :ahh:

no Taylor, no clout :monkey:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

9 minutes ago, Sabrina Carpenter said:

• Haha 1

Okay but who the f*ck are the Pet Shop Boys

what-real-housewives-of-atlanta.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 15

he did not lie

where are the HITS

gretchen-gifs.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, KBax said:

Okay but who the f*ck are the Pet Shop Boys

what-real-housewives-of-atlanta.gif

I'm embarrassed for you. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sabrina Carpenter said:

They and the Pet Shop Boys don't need anyone in order to sell records. They are legends. 

• Thumbs Down 2

Taylor absolutely has remembered songs and I'm not even a fan. You Belong With Me is the first one that comes to mind

• Thumbs Down 3

4 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

I'm embarrassed for you. 

Oh..? I didn't realize it was a requirement to know who they are

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Just now, KBax said:

Oh..? I didn't realize it was a requirement to know who they are

If you want to be taken seriously in a music discussion, then yes, you are required to know who they are. You're completely ignorant otherwise. 

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

If you want to be taken seriously in a music discussion, then yes, you are required to know who they are. You're completely ignorant otherwise. 

Not knowing who an artist is, is not ignorant.

You need to chill and not be so butt hurt over it. 

• Thumbs Down 3

I love their music but they are SO delusional right there it's not even funny :bibliahh:

• Thumbs Down 1

16 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

Right. Everyone around her treats her like a deity. Her fanbase has spun into a daylight-operating cult. No surprise she has the maturity bandwidth of a petulant child with a pram full of sailor dolls. 

Not a BEYONCE stan saying that :rip:

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Broken said:

Gaga is a fan of the pet shop boys. They even offered for her to perform with them. I guess they saw that she wasn't another blonde who can't hold a note 

the-pet-shop-boys-brandon-flowers-and-la

Edited by Marry The Gods
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

This is basically what everyone outside of her fanbase thinks and I don't mean it as a shade. Streams are not what makes songs classics and popular around the world among the general public. Taylor does not have a classic unlike other artists despite all of her tracks having 50 billion plays on Spotify.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

4 hours ago, PoisonPill said:

The way we'll all just say anything at this point in the name of stan wars :rip: :clap3:

Ask the Pet Shop Boys :giraffe:

1 hour ago, KBax said:

Not knowing who an artist is, is not ignorant.

You need to chill and not be so butt hurt over it. 

The definition of ignorant is "lacking knowledge or awareness." So it is quite literally "ignorant."

• Thanks 1

Some points were made

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.