Best 2012 "indie" album influenced by Britney Spears

Jeremiah

2012 albums  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Out of these albums, which one do you prefer?

• "Visions" by Grimes
    • "Electra Heart" by Marina and The Diamonds
    • "Lonerism" by Tame Impala

All three of these albums were released in 2012, by artists that fall under the "alt" or "indie" side of the more pop sound, and all three happen to be influenced by Britney Spears, according to the artists themselves (who are also declared big fans of the legendary singer).

Which one is more of your preference?

"Visions" by Grimes

"Electra Heart" by Marina and The Diamonds

"Lonerism" by Tame Impala

Grimes_-_Visions_album_cover.png Marina_and_the_Diamonds_-_Electra_Heart.png Tame_Impala_-_Lonerism.png

Electra Heart. 

Trivia: Marina said she listened to E-Mail My Heart on tour

Edited by Josh

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Electra Heart. 

Trivia: Marina said she listened to E-Mail My Heart on tour

Literally obsessed

• Like 2

'Electra Heart', since I haven't listened to the other two yet.

MgXIqOV.gif

• Thanks 1

Visions, but the other two are cute, too.

visions. the other two are so overrated

This one

Marina_and_the_Diamonds_-_Electra_Heart.

visions 

Marina since it's probably the only one that's actually influenced by Britney. Not just marketing gimmictry. 

Born to die at times seems like a soundtrack of Britney's life.

3 hours ago, Mean Trees said:

Marina since it's probably the only one that's actually influenced by Britney. Not just marketing gimmictry. 

Yea, because Tame Impala's type of fans would deffo be thrilled of a Britney inspo :rip:

Visions > Electra Heart > Lonerism

All great! I think Visions gets the edge though because it's my favorite Grimes album and I prefer TFJ & FROOT over EH and prefer Currents over Lonerism.

4 hours ago, Rev8 said:

Yea, because Tame Impala's type of fans would deffo be thrilled of a Britney inspo :rip:

You act like bands and celebrities don't say things for attention. 

11 hours ago, Mean Trees said:

Grimes on Visions:

"When I made 'Visions'," she laughs, "I thought it was my sell-out Britney pop moment! I didn't think it would succeed, either. I remember A/B-ing [comparing sound quality] with a Britney song, and being like, 'this is just totally as good as this Britney song, I'm so great!'" she remembers, visibly amused.

Source: DIY Magazine (2016)

'Visions' was sci-fi," she says, recorded under the influence of high-tech pop stars like Beyoncé and Britney Spears.

Source: The New Yorker (2015)

She also referenced "I'm A Slave 4 U" on the music video for "Genesis":

Pitchfork: It looks just like the snake from Britney Spears' performance of "I'm a Slave 4 U" video at the 2001 Video Music Awards. Could it be the same one?

CB: It's actually a different python. I wish it was the same python. I was specifically referencing her performance in this video. That was one of Britney's best moments.

Source: Pitchfork (2012)

Slider_1_-_Snakes_in_a_Limo__New_Grimes?

And has shown overall fascination with Britney and her music:

"When I hear 'Toxic' by Britney Spears… people say that **** is vapid but you can hear that the people who made that song were having a great ******* time. I would love to do that. That's the thing I think is really beautiful about pop music. I try and mix that up with other **** because I like music that can be really challenging but, at the end of the day, Grimes is about what feels best."

Source: Dazed (2012)

"I like the idea of how pop music functions by taking these basic evolutionary facts about humans and just exploiting them. People love sex, people love bass, probably because it mirrors the heartbeat. So you take these things that go back a long way, deep in our evolutionary core, and then turn that into, like, Britney Spears. I find that so fascinating!"

Source: The Music (2012)

____

Kevin Parker on Lonerism:

Because the sounds are very different than InnerSpeaker?

Kevin: In some way, this album sounds like a different project. With InnerSpeaker I tried to make an album that comfortably audible, easily enjoyed, but still smart. Meanwhile in the second album, I surrendered to temptation and desire to make an album that is really ****** up. But I also have a desire to sound like Britney Spears, I love pop music and bad plastics. On the one hand this album is weird and ****** up, but on the other hand are very pop.

Source: Rolling Stone Indonesia (2011), translation: Tumblr fan blog.

There was pop music and non-pop music and stuff that it's good to like and stuff you're not meant to like. I'm talking about your candy-sounding pop, which is one of my fetishes, like really sugary pop. But I could never do it, because I feel like I'm the only one that's going to like it. But at the same time, I have a fetish for really ****** up and confusing and weird music. Letting the two of those run free, I hope that's what people will hear, but I have no idea. For me, it's a combination of nice sugary pop crossed with really ******-up explosive cosmic music. It's like Britney Spears singing with The Flaming Lips."

Source: Under the Radar (2012)

He has also called her an "unaware" inspiration, and expressed his desire to work with her:

Were there bands that got you into the psychedelia that defined your earlier work?

The Flaming Lips are a big one. At first I was a fanboy and then we got to know them and now we're good friends, which is kind of weird to look back on. Air, that French band, was one of my favorites growing up. At the same time everything I've ever heard in my life is equally as influential. Even things that I wasn't aware were influencing me. For example, the Beatles are as much of an inspiration as Britney Spears, at the end of the day, because it's all stuff that just comes in. I don't necessarily, intentionally listen to—I've never listened to a Beatles album the whole way through, I've never listened to a Britney Spears album the whole way through, either. It's just stuff that's around me that happens to enter my brain. It ends up playing a part in my understanding of music.

Source: EW (2015)

If you could work with any artist, who would it be? Quelle serait votre collaboration idéale?
Britney Spears. I have a fetish for extremely sugary pop music. I'd like to try out my most fairy floss choruses on her.
Britney Spears. J'ai développé un fétichisme pour la pop hyper sucrée. J'aimerais essayer mes choeurs les plus guimauves et féériques sur elle.

Source: Wow Magazine (2010)

If you had to pick someone from the pop world, who do you think could bring something to Tame Impala's sound?

Ummm, probably Britney Spears. If you put loads of crazy effects on her voice it could be amazing. She's a good singer and whatever they do to her voice, it sounds really good. If they kept ******* with her voice with some crazy psychedelic effects it would sound even better.

Source: Vice (2012)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Voted Grimes because she's actually always talking about Britney, you can tell she have some sort of deep admiration or fascination with her and that gives me life

She stanned manjobi, spoke on the freebritney movement, and like a week ago she was talking about the circus album again 

i know Marina is a fan but she doesn't mention her all the time, so it makes me think she is NOT A STAN. 

and woow at Kevin Parker! mmm i love him even more now

17 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Grimes on Visions:

She also referenced "I'm A Slave 4 U" on the music video for "Genesis":

Slider_1_-_Snakes_in_a_Limo__New_Grimes?

And has shown overall fascination with Britney and her music:

____

Kevin Parker on Lonerism:

He has also called her an "unaware" inspiration, and expressed his desire to work with her:

:clap3:Congratulations. I'm happy Kevin and Grimes stan Britney('s producers).

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Mean Trees said:

:clap3:Congratulations. I'm happy Kevin and Grimes stan Britney('s producers).

6a00d8341c2ca253ef01b7c7ca5d8a970b-550wi

9 minutes ago, shyboi said:

i know Marina is a fan but she doesn't mention her all the time, so it makes me think she is NOT A STAN.

DON'T make me go on my Marina receipts, they're lengthy.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

6a00d8341c2ca253ef01b7c7ca5d8a970b-550wi

DON'T make me go on my Marina receipts, they're lengthy.

has she mention Britney in the last 5 years? 

2 minutes ago, shyboi said:

has she mention Britney in the last 5 years? 

I just noticed I don't have her section updated lmao but off the top of my head, the past 5 years she namedropped Britney on a song ("Purge the Poison") and rooted hard for her during Free Britney. A quick search with her Twitter handle and "Britney":

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.