Tupac Estate threatening to sue Drake over AI-generated use of rapper's voice

ariesgroove

"Tupac Shakur's estate is threatening to sue Drake over the Kendrick Lamar diss track that featured an AI-generated version of the late rapper's voice, calling it a "a flagrant violation" of the law and a "blatant abuse" of his legacy"

https://www.billboard.com/pro/tupac-shakur-estate-drake-diss-track-ai-generated-voice/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He's always in some legal mess. :dies:

Just because he didn't like this AI Cover of himself:

doesn't mean he can do the same with other people's voices :gaycattel:What goes around comes around

Edited by Princess Aurora
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good. Bankrupt his bbl s

oop-

IMG_4742.thumb.gif.98fad0a0f203731fd4a507e7d60331d8.gif 

Get him again for me

yoncegif300contrast.gif.207c7b759ff7fd80

he still has three more payments left on his bbl they can't do this :biblio:

• Haha 1

Get him for us! 

• Like 1

How are they going to sue him for something he didn't release or make money from. It's not like the Nicki Minaj situation where she dropped the song on queen radio and got ad dollars from fast car. 

hope it messes up his pockets big time 

3 hours ago, Mtjjproducer said:

How are they going to sue him for something he didn't release or make money from. It's not like the Nicki Minaj situation where she dropped the song on queen radio and got ad dollars from fast car. 

I have the same question. The article mentions that the estate will most likely sue on grounds that the track's existence violates the rights to Tupac's "likeness" that his estate has, but it's kind of a gray area of the law, as it's really only been used to go after advertisements or commercials, not songs. 

They can't sue because of a copyright infringement because neither the music nor the lyrics are a part of any musical property that is owned by Tupac's estate. 

It sounds like the difficulty and ambiguity of how to enforce legal protections for something like this is probably why Drake and his legal team thought he could get away with it. 

Edited by Goaty

I think these types of cases are going to be popping up fairly often, with the rise of AI to mimic voices. I don't like or support that technology at all, when it comes to music. Now, that's what I call "fake" music. Drake needs to humble himself just a tad, though. Yes, he's had a glowing career—but there are just some lines you don't cross, when it comes to pulling voices from the grave.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Batsy Armada said:

I think these types of cases are going to be popping up fairly often, with the rise of AI to mimic voices. I don't like or support that technology at all, when it comes to music. Now, that's what I call "fake" music. Drake needs to humble himself just a tad, though. Yes, he's had a glowing career—but there are just some lines you don't cross, when it comes to pulling voices from the grave.

Exactly! and this goes for any company or living artist doing this. I even feel weird about posthumous releases featuring the living. It's kinda creepy. They are literally disembodied voices on a track. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.