Who did children's music better: Katy Perry or Taylor Swift?

Monday Night Messiah

Who did children's music better: Katy Perry or Taylor Swift?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who did children's music better: Katy Perry or Taylor Swift?

When it comes to making children's music, two pop stars come to mind: Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. For Katy Perry, the seeds were planted with her debut, One of the Boys, but the turning point was Teenage Dream which saw her sport colorful wigs, beach and candy-themed visuals, among others. That image stays true today. Her recent Las Vegas residency, Play, sees her in her own fantasy land, wearing outlandish kid-friendly costumes and singing sugary sweet numbers from her catalog. However, despite this, Katy Perry still manages to be sexy and it doesn't come off tacky. Her sense of humor and confidence sells the image she's trying to portray.

Katy Perry's Top 10 Music Videos: Critic's Picks | Billboard

Pick of the Day: "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" by Katy Perry (2010)

Katy Perry -- wide awake music video | Katy perry costume, Katy perry, Katy

Roar' Video: Katy Perry, Tiger Tamer

Copyright Chaos? 'Dark Horse' Verdict Could Lead to New Wave of Lawsuits

Watch Katy Perry's Futuristic 'Chained to the Rhythm' Video | Us Weekly

For Taylor Swift, being childish has always been in her DNA. From her debut up to her latest album, she manages to make music fit for children—even with the occasional cursing (for the teenagers who think doing so makes them sound cool and edgy). Admittedly, she has taken breaks from making kid-friendly songs, such as in the albums ReputationFolklore and Evermore. But those breaks are very short-lived and those more artistic endeavors are often undermined by her propensity to write songs for the lowest common denominator. Can't knock the hustle. I would too if I was making the same kind of money.

Google Patents 'Heart-Shaped Hand Gesture,' But Taylor Swift Shouldn't  Worry - SPIN

Taylor Swift: 22 (Music Video 2013) - IMDb

Shake It Off" | Know Your Meme

delicate GIF by Taylor Swift | Taylor swift delicate, Taylor swift music  videos, Taylor swift

Taylor Swift Unveils Empowering New Single, 'ME!' Featuring Brendon Urie |  Billboard

Celebrities in Taylor Swift's You Need to Calm Down music video

What do you think about the Lover photoshoot? : r/TaylorSwift

Bejeweled,' Taylor Swift's Second Video from 'Midnights' Is Here!

All of Taylor Swift's Midnights Music Videos Easter Eggs

In your opinion, who did it better? Katy or Taylor?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

OOTB - the album with "I kissed a girl and I liked it" and "I hope you hang yourself with your H&M scarf", please be serious

The "house Britney build" doesn't put Britney in this? :laugh:

• Haha 1

Taylor has never really made children's music, so Katy wins by default.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Anyways madonna with her bubble gum pop music from the 80s listened also by 13 years old, as for any pop girl in her peak. 

Edited by vale9001

Just now, vale9001 said:

Anyways madonna with her bubble gum pop music from the 80s

vale9001

Taylors music will always trump Katy even in the "kid genre". The good thing about Taylor is she has captured the young girl demographic but it hasn't pigeon holed her into it. She also has a hold on the millennial young woman demographic and even a lot of gen x women. I guess that's why she's the biggest artist.

"Mommy, Taylor's using that bad word again you told me not to say".

Taylor does everything better than Katy I fear

All of Taylor's childish music is terrible (We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Shake It Off, Me!, etc). Teenage Dream singles are superior pop songs imo. However, Roar might be my most least liked song of all time. I absolutely hate it. 

Taylor makes better music overall but I've always hated her attempts at pop/kid music. I'll die on this hill that those Taylor songs I mentioned are some of the worst mega hits to ever be spammed on the radio. But she also has amazing songs on all of those albums, which Katy doesn't have much outside of her catchy pop songs. 

Edited by WhateverYouWant

Be real for one second. Taylor dabbles INTO it occasionally; Katy dabbles out of it occasionally. 

Edited by ahauntingnearu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ahauntingnearu said:

Be real for one second. Taylor dabbles INTO it occasionally; Katy dabbles out of it occasionally. 

100% agree. But Katy does that sound better. But Taylor makes better music overall. 

• Like 1

better music for 5-7 year olds: katy

better music for 14 year old losers who think they're deep: taylor

• Thumbs Down 1

Katy Perry. Taylor's music is more for 14-year-old girls who feel like they've suffered more than anyone else in the world because their parents took their phone away for mouthing off to them.  

2 hours ago, Ethereal said:

Taylor has never really made children's music, so Katy 

• Haha 1

I know the OP and others are here for shade BUT Roar had everyone on a chokehold. Universal Max x Katy excellence.

Edited by Taylor fanboy

Katy Perry has the best kid bops :-* Children are still singing Firework to this day

Edited by Princess Aurora

Katy was obviously more marketed towards children

Taylor was more about teenage girls or ones that were almost that age , not that much of children

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

The "house Britney build" doesn't put Britney in this? :laugh:

?
She isn't even their peer?

oh katherine was fabulous for a kids bop moment back in the day so her 

2 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

I know the OP and others are here for shade BUT Roar had everyone on a chokehold. Universal Max x Katy excellence.

Roar!? It was big cause it was her lead after a super successful album. Roar had nobody on chokehold expect the children and most basic of gays. Katy had great pop music. Roar isn't part of that. It was just successful. Her worst single. 

Edited by WhateverYouWant

What Katy did had class to it. 

Katy, by far. She (and Bonnie McKee) brought catchy, memorable melodies and colorful camp. It never seemed forced because that's apparently who she is, even if it isn't marketable anymore 

Kid friendly ≠ actual songs that are played at Claire's

Katy makes kid friendly music, but Taylor makes Claire's playlist music :ahh:Taylor's ability to make disgusting sparkly childish ass songs like Me!, Bejeweled, You Need to Calm Down, Stay Stay Stay, Cruel Summer, Karma etc is unmatched :ahh: her instrumentals by themselves sound like YouTube tutorial music :ahh:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Twizzy said:

Kid friendly ≠ actual songs that are played at Claire's

Katy makes kid friendly music, but Taylor makes Claire's playlist music :ahh:Taylor's ability to make disgusting sparkly childish ass songs like Me!, Bejeweled, You Need to Calm Down, Stay Stay Stay, Cruel Summer, Karma etc is unmatched :ahh: her instrumentals by themselves sound like YouTube tutorial music :ahh:

I couldn't say it better myself. Katy wins because what she does has class to it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.