Should Taylor S pull a "Discipline" by Janet?

Kool_Aid_King

With TTPD coming out and the lyrics and production being incredibly one-note and getting dragged by fans & average people, do you think Taylor should switch gears from her singer-songwriter bag and work with new producers & new writers to bring out a new project?

The legend herself Janet Jackson did so for her #1 album Discipline. After writing and producing most of her songs from the 80s, 90s and 00s, Janet decided to take the backseat and take on some songs that people would send her. 

Obviously Taylor Swift has songwriting as the core of her artistry, but given some of these lyrics... :biblio: do you think she could benefit from this sort of approach?

Discuss!

• Thumbs Down 1

Yes. The "self written" flex is so tired. Like gorl, some people should be using writing camps and it wouldn't hurt if someone else sang the songs too

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Only Queen Janet could serve Discipline. :clap3:

She cant pull Janet's first two forgotten albums, let alone anything else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

19 minutes ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

With TTPD coming out and the lyrics and production being incredibly one-note and getting dragged by fans & average people, do you think Taylor should switch gears from her singer-songwriter bag and work with new producers & new writers to bring out a new project?

New producers, absolutely. Jack is clearly starving for ideas now and while her work with Aaron is quite a bit better I still think that sound will get tired if she continues. New writers, not necessarily. I think Taylor is capable of writing much better material when she doesn't write from an autobiographical perspective (see folklore/evermore). I also think she should probably just release less material...I am enjoying TTPD/The Anthology well enough, but if she had selected maybe the 16 best songs from this project, it would have been received better. There's a clear lack of quality control...I know she likes writing and keeping the fans fed, but some of the songs are just not it.

13 minutes ago, pisuke said:

She cant pull Janet's first two forgotten albums, let alone anything else.

excuse you but her debut is underrated and unfairly judged based on the reviews at the time :tsk:

40 minutes ago, Kool_Aid_King said:

With TTPD coming out and the lyrics and production being incredibly one-note and getting dragged by fans & average people

This new album is boring. She hasn't released a great album since Folklore 

• Thanks 1

Yeah she was at an All For You but she's heading to Damita Jo territory at this point 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

janet could do snow on the beach but taylor could never do rock with u :jonnycat:

• Like 5

Interesting question. It could work or she could take part in those songs :-*

I don't think her songwritting is the problem but I want her to experiment with different production and genres.

Rock With U and Feedback alone. Ugh.

Perfect slick bangers that still hit so hard with such style.

Oh Janet you were done so dirty.

• Like 2

She needs to go back to country.

She's an incredible songwriter but some of the songs on this new album sound like a parody of herself if that makes sense? And she desperately needs to work with fresh producers for the next record.

1 hour ago, BoDaToe said:

She needs to go back to country.

The Beyprint. I agree, I can see country being a good switch up for her. 

You want Taylor to make one of the worst albums ever and flop tremendously?

• Haha 1

I can hear it :jamming:

56 minutes ago, Chris said:

You want Taylor to make one of the worst albums ever and flop tremendously?

wellyes-tokyo-toni.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.