Is "skinny" as a pop culturally coded "positive" adjective problematic?

Specter

I have a "friend" (read: distant acquaintance who I can only stand in certain contexts), who basically uncritically applies stan twitter lingo irl (yes, he is caucasian). In recent times I have been hanging out with this really sweet girl who I seem to get along with, and I ran into him where we were hanging out. I introduced them, they got talking, and soon he says "oh wow that's very skinny of you. Slay"

Firstly, I disassociated out of the c r i  n g e, but more importantly, the girl I was with is someone who is a larger person. She is also not in-tune with stan culture (nor should she be lol) and she really thought he meant to mock her.

After he left she was a bit down and when I asked, she felt like she had been body shamed and I had to "explain" that he did not mean it that way; mid-explanation though it struck me: how ******* stupid :rip: like yes it's not that serious to discuss the metaphysics of the word skinny but skinny = gay way of saying good is...weird?

Is it just me? This is coming from someone with severe body issues to but in a different context. I think for me I have learned to tune out any stan lingo nonsense when I hear it irl.

Thoughts?

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Well yeah...Skinny is used cause it's considered a positive by society. So yes there is fatphobia underneath it but people don't seem to think that deep. Even those who are bigger or have nothing against bigger people use it without realizing that it stems from a negative root. I don't think your cringy friend meant to body shame or fat shame her but yeah it isn't an innocent phrase. Alot of our language doesnt exist in a vacuum.

some things are to be used on the context of internet only your friend is obviously dumb 

Edited by LittleStarmen
  • Haha 1

I mean technically it's good to be skinny because it's more associated with being healthy 

I think that as long as you don't attack someone for being overweight it's all fine

There is nothing positive about being fat, but it's also not something should be shamed for being.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 3

I don't think anybody uses "skinny" anymore. Other than a few special individuals such as your acquaintance. It was a nonchalant fad. 

• Like 4

• ATRL Moderator

Why is this tagged as “tech”?

• Haha 9

Knowing Stan culture lingo, even if I was a larger person and some queen said that to me still would've seemed shady :deadbanana4:

Edited by Zylo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Why is this tagged as "tech"?

Because my friend is technologically challenged as evinced by his attempt to Quote Tweet in a conversation

• Haha 5

I mean, duh. Yeah it is. But do you know how many obese Trixie fans scream skinny legend at her at a meet & greet? 

I never used it cause it's weird and too cringe and your friend sounds annoying but your other friend should be fine after you've explained it to her. :cm:

don't worry, next month it will mean Song Of The Year thanks to Miss Eilish :bird:

• Like 1

your one friend when walking past the larger one:

skinny-walk-past.gif

• Haha 2

Yes tbh. "Skinny" is seen as a compliment while "Fat" (e.g., Delete it, fat!) is loaded with negative connotations

It's meant as a compliment that is completely separate from someone's weight or appearance.  However, your friend is very insensitive for using it, likely out of habit, while talking to someone who is fat.  The fact that your female friend is unaware of stan lingo means she is wonderful and you must protect her at all costs.

Edited by Archetype

if simply hearing the word 'skinny' is enough to get her down maybe she should address some underlying issues, also you're pretty judgemental with that 'friend' 

• Thumbs Down 2

Yes. I think skinniness is associated with youth too, but that's actually pretty asinine when you really think about it. 

Skinny has positive connotation -> healthy, cute, good looking, not at risk of obesity, Mariah Carey

In contrast to fatty with negative connotation -> poor health, fat, greasy, not appealing to the eye, Demi

I much rather have my name in the same sentence that skinny than fatty

Edited by MasterExpose
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

People are always skinny shaming too so maybe people need to get over it and take a compliment when they get one??

:suburban:

10 hours ago, MasterExpose said:

Skinny has positive connotation -> healthy, cute, good looking, not at risk of obesity, Mariah Carey

In contrast to fatty with negative connotation -> poor health, fat, greasy, not appealing to the eye, Demi

Girl;

:suburban:

10 hours ago, MasterExpose said:

moo.png

I feel like a lot of people who are fat never really chose it. They kinda just fell into it, through their environment for example. Like low income areas where unhealthy fast food is more affordable and more available than healthier foods. And like when people work so long and hard and are too tired to make healthy meals. And Then there's stress/depression/emotional eating. And then some things are associated with obesity that really ought not be, like someone having a bigger bone structure. I have a friend who starves herself because she can't get her waist down to 26 in. Her ribs are 34 in; like, CAN RIBS SHRINK??!! If not then she needs to know that she's not at fault for her size (I try to tell her but social-engineering against everything that's not stick-skinniness has her whipped 😔). Fat-shaming and skinny-shaming are both atrocious.

Edited by HarajukuPrincess
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.