Are critics afraid to give some artists an "honest review"?

Papi Juancho

It doesn't matter if the music is MID, repetitive, boring or has no artistic growth, many Big names in the industry always receive acclaim from critics.

Do you think critics don't give an honest review for fear of being attacked by fans or being blacklisted by the media? knowing the power of those big names

:suburban:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Screenshot-38.png

Screenshot-39.png

I'd say no :bam:

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

NME who are known to review almost anything with a 100 score just dragged Taylor. And while I disagree with their review I think it shows that the critics aren't being held at gunpoint like some think.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

Critics were once unbiased listening reviewers. But stan culture took over and now critics themselves are stans and use extreme bias for or against other artists. 

• Like 11

But for the most part it's all click bait. A good review gets clickbait a bad review gets clickbait. It depends on the author

I was just thinking this too. I'm seeing a lot of negative commentary surrounding TTPD with tens of thousands of likes, but I didn't see anything like the same amount of popular criticism for Midnights. 

I've made my way through 14 of the songs and it's not a terrible album, but what I've heard so far doesn't justify 5* or "instant classic" reviews. The truth is we're all influenced by others and critics will probably provide a more measured assessment of her next album, though if she takes some time off and comes back recharged then the reviews will be deservedly glowing.

Most of them yes. I honestly dont really think every new main pop girl album is necessarily a 90 on metacritic. But most journalists want clicks and ad revenue so. Its the only way these music publications can survive.

Cameltoe Chariot

The big ones are, absolutely. There is incentive to over-praise certain artists because their gargantuan fanbases will then in turn click, support and promote said publications.

It's like how Fox News bends over for Trump no matter what - because it sells into a perpetual cycle that keeps them making money.

• Like 1

You have to be in denial at this point to think the reviews are honest

But I think they will lose more and more respect until no one checks critics anymore and they will go back to being honest. 

It is what happened with Disney and Marvel movies.

• Like 2

Most of them yes but some still will give a negative review despite popularity and fan base. Doesn't mean a negative review is unbiased though. Critics have never been objective. They just get more engagement for positivity surrounding big artists today because stans are the only people who care about music reviews. Compared to the 90's/2000's when it was beneficial for them to trash pop artists to sell magazines. 

• Like 1

they're scared of saying anything bad of Taylor AND Beyoncé.

yes, I know Taylor will always get the " she's white " privilege but the media can't say anything about these two that their fanbases will attack 

• Like 2

Music critics nowadays are a joke. They went from being unfair to pop artists in general to now over-inflate their scores to ****** up levels. Poptimism during the worst time in pop music history. Oh, the irony of it all. 

• Like 2

Well duh. Famous critics have come out and said they have received death threats from stans even for being mildly critical. Swifities are notorious in that regard, people fear them more than Isis. That needs to stop

• Like 1

Yes. No one will drag the big big people like Taylor, Bey or Adele. It's a nightmare waiting to happen from psycho stans.

Yes, it is transparent when it comes to Beyonce :suburban:

• Like 1

Of course, many of them are, and they are no longer reviewers anyway. Calling an album a classic on the day or week of its release is a fatal mistake that devalues the work.

But the problem isn't limited to music. Just look at the number of movies that are called masterpieces on the weekend of their release.

The problem, apart from the subjectivity inherent in this work, is the lack of hindsight on the artist's entire oeuvre, but also on the genre and the era.

• Like 1

Yes, it is transparent when it comes to Taylor

:suburban:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Beyonce albums improved after the I Am Sasha Fierce album. She really became an album artist and reinvented herself. People were calling Bey cookie cutter and then self titled dropped and everything changed. Bey deserve her high numbers because she reinvents after every album. I can't say the same for you know who. Beyonce became a critics darling in 2013. Don't forget it lol

• Thumbs Down 2

Just keep in mind they have their names out there, they ought to be afraid of mental fans living in parasocial relationships with their favorite artists. You'll never read a non-anonymous BTS or Taylor Swift review that's negative for this reason.

I believe Frank Sinatra once had a review of his Trilogy album changed, so it's very possible.

It's undeniable at this point. With music websites/magazines laying off staff and relying increasingly on freelancers, as well as stans becoming more and more agressive, poptimism has become poplacency. Even as late as 2016, getting a 90+ on Metacritic was an event, now it happens every fortnight.

Music journalism is nothing more than a mouthpiece for major labels at this point. Even P4K, once revered for how edgy and harsh they could be, has softened up in recent years. I'm not arguing for a return to 20th century rockism, but this stan-pandering wave has to end.

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 2

Yeah, just like these generic BTS albums having over 80 on Metacritic :rip:

Most of them are just trying to avoid attacks and death threats 

10 minutes ago, Lady Claire said:

Yeah, just like these generic BTS albums having over 80 on Metacritic :rip:

Most of them are just trying to avoid attacks and death threats 

OMG I never knew that. shocking. 

I think the most known sites give good because they are biased or they don't want the hassle. Taylor just got a nasty review so that's a surprise. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.