• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• DLW

• V$.

• Sugden

Rob Sheffield is obviously a Taylor Swift stan. It's biased but oh well. It doesn't do much harm anyways. 

5 minutes ago, peacok said:

Rob is just looking to sell a book about Taylor Swift…

MESS :gaycat7:

• Haha 2

I genuinely don't listen to Taylor's music, but for people who do how does this album stack up to her other ones? How would you feel if (when?) this win an album of the year grammy?

4 minutes ago, New Edition said:

I genuinely don't listen to Taylor's music, but for people who do how does this album stack up to her other ones? How would you feel if (when?) this win an album of the year grammy?

It won't win AOTY, the narrative is against her even the album is solid unless it's ground breaking cultural shift once in a century event 

3 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

It won't win AOTY, the narrative is against her even the album is solid unless it's ground breaking cultural shift once in a century event 

Commercially it is, it will definitely win AOTY after it sells 2M first week and especially if it breaks Adele's record.

They won't say no to that. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

Commercially it is, it will definitely win AOTY after it sells 2M first week and especially if it breaks Adele's record.

They won't say no to that. 

Commercial success does not guarantee an AOTY winning, Jon won AOTY despite being a flop. 

1 minute ago, Cloröx said:

Commercial success does not guarantee an AOTY winning, Jon won AOTY despite being a flop. 

Umm he would've lost against Midnights and TTPD easily.

2 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

Umm he would've lost against Midnights and TTPD easily.

Different Grammy cycle has different competition and narrative. Taylor's chance is bigger if she didn't win for Midnights. Now we have many pop stars releasing music so expect them cannibalize each others and some indie respected will win AOTY instead.

Clash 8/10

1 minute ago, Cloröx said:

Clash 8/10

Same as Midnights. 
No one will re view the second album which is weird I must say…

2 minutes ago, omrimayo said:

Same as Midnights. 
No one will re view the second album which is weird I must say…

Critics usually get the standard album early to write reviews. Likely not the same for the deluxe.

2 minutes ago, cat1867 said:

Critics usually get the standard album early to write reviews. Likely not the same for the deluxe.

Yeah I know but it is a WHOLE album not a deluxe, it needs to get reviewed but I don't think it will in general.

Jdjddk not the lone comment on the Evening Standard review telling them to submit to metacritic

I know it's one of you

:ryan3:

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, bliaz said:

NME: 3/5

Evening Standard: 2/5

The only brave ones who dared to speak the truth without fear of attacks :giraffe:

Hopefully they have a safe house provided, where their music critics can hide away for a few weeks.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

they have become such a joke

• Like 1

So everyone gets good reviews , acclaim omg

Taylor gets decent review : omg she paid

I see how it goes lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

Do even reviews have The Anthology tracks? I guess they will review the original album and that's it. I know she sells it as a double album, but from three months it hasn't been a double album so...

13 hours ago, Cloröx said:

The main commercial success story that year was Olivia with SOUR, so perhaps they didn't want to give it to another teenage girl just two years after Billie.

Not to mention there was probably a lot of vote splitting with other pop and pop adjacent albums from Billie, Taylor, Doja Cat and others when they decided to allow 10 nominees.

Taylor had won the year before and didn't really promote Evermore which was released in 2020, and still got an AOTY nomination for the 2022 awards. She is much bigger now, and TTPD will be a much bigger commercial success than Evermore.

3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

I know some people are gonna turn this into stan war fodder, but there is a very necessary discussion that needs to be had about how music journalism is beyond dead.

We went from a rockist, anti-pop press to a stan-pandering, "poplacent" wave of critics. More and more, websites and newspapers are relying on freelancers, meaning the writers don't have any kind of institutional backing when they give out bad reviews. There's a strong chance they could lose access to events if an artist's team doesn't like their reviews.

This applies to the lady in my avi as well. There is no reason for Pitchfork to be saying "Spirit is bad, but she wants an Oscar, so let her have it" in their reviews, just like it makes no sense for someone writing a book overwhelmingly praiseful of Taylor Swift to be reviewing her newest album.

At the end of the day, what we have here is cultural journalism surrendering to big-label, ultra-rich celebrities.

Damn our pop ladies getting their due but I get what you mean.

42 minutes ago, Tyrion_LMG said:

Do even reviews have The Anthology tracks? I guess they will review the original album and that's it. I know she sells it as a double album, but from three months it hasn't been a double album so...

I think some will review TA seperately like Evermore to Folklore

Edited by Kern

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.