The Tortured Poets Department Review Thread | MC - 76

Cloröx

1 hour ago, Sugden said:

During "I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)," she gloms onto some imaginary bad boy, describing how "his hand, so calloused from his pistol, softly traces hearts on my face" — which must be pretty close to what you get when you ask ChatGPT to compose a Lana Del Rey hook. Attempting to further signal her maturity, Swift deploys profanity with awkward relentlessness across too many of these songs, sounding like a child test-driving her illicit new vocabulary in hopes of convincing the greater populace that she is, in fact, 34 years old.

My god :deadbanana4:

• Haha 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• DLW

• Cloröx

• Sugden

Sh!tpork better spill the tea :coffee:

We can't be gaslit into thinking she's a great lyricist any longer. They need to go IN.

Edited by Miley Cyrus
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 5

TTPD sparks a heavy conversation in music community means the album is destined to be a classic. It's either you hate it or love it but at the end those who hate it will repent and regret how wrong they are. This is the modern OK Computer or Kid A, it needs time to get fully dissected, absorbed. It's beyond some people comprehension. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Cloröx said:

TTPD sparks a heavy conversation in music community means the album is destined to be a classic. It's either you hate it or love it but at the end those who hate it will repent and regret how wrong they are. This is the modern OK Computer or Kid A, it needs time to get fully dissected, absorbed. It's beyond some people comprehension. 

Whew great comparison. I feel like this was how Red was treated back in the day.

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

If they dedicated half the time they give Taylor daily on streaming their faves they wouldn't be selling makeup, thongs and migraine pills :suburban:

as if taylor is only selling cds and vinyl. lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

2 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

Whew great comparison. I feel like this was how Red was treated back in the day.

Omg guys... tell me you're joking.

• Haha 3

Imagine having the delusion to compare this album to Red in any sense

:suburban:

3 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

Born To Die, Discovery also didn't get much love earlier but they gained followers in years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SweetOreosOfHeaven said:

Omg guys... tell me you're joking.

Maybe it won't be as well revered but the idea that it's an album that requires multiple repeat visits and time to dissect the messaging and narrative is still relevant. It will definetly go down as one of her best works. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, stevyy said:

as if taylor is only selling cds and vinyl. lol. 

music and merch, including scarves, hoodies and t-shirts but everything is related to her music. I haven't seen her coming up with a cheap make-up brand like three-quarters of the queens people stan on this forum.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

Maybe it won't be as well revered but the idea that it's an album that requires multiple repeat visits and time to dissect the messaging and narrative is still relevant. It will definetly go down as one of her best works. 

no one should be REQUIRED to listen to anything more than once.  What a waste of life. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, spree said:

no one should be REQUIRED to listen to anything more than once.  What a waste of life. 

If you do not want to listen to something more than once or not even at all that's totally fine. But when discussing music on a critical level, I think it's super shallow to listen to something once and give analysis to it, especially because music has layers that reveal itself on multiple listens. 

Edited by GoatGly
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2024 at 7:26 PM, Sugden said:

i think 36 is too high

this album is embarrassing

is it worse than Artpop? 

11 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

If you do not want to listen to something more than once or not even at all that's totally fine. But when discussing music on a critical level, I think it's super shallow to listen to something once and give analysis to it, especially because music has layers that reveal itself on multiple listens. 

sounds to me like you're forcing yourself to like it even tho you know it sucks. 

• Haha 1

As if the public exposure of the past several years wasn't enough, The Tortured Poets Department ended up being a thirty-one track double album with a runtime in excess of two hours. If that sounds like a nightmare, it's because ninety-nine (point nine) percent of artists could not, and historically have not, effectively pulled this sort of thing off – especially when you factor in that the musical aesthetic is overtly slow and markedly similar across the board. But there's a reason other voices have come and gone while Taylor's has become the defining one of her generation: she's a truly exceptional songwriter and lyricist

Oh wow oh wow

• Like 3

will metacritic even count that review tho? they review the deluxe version

Machete

I have a feeling BITCHfork will p*ssy out and give it a 7.5 or something.

A 90??? And they gave ES a 60…

another paid review I fear :coffee2:

• Thumbs Down 1

54 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

This is the modern OK Computer or Kid A

Now sis... :clack:

I'm actually enjoying how polarizing the reception has been so far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aribiotch. said:

A 90??? And they gave ES a 60…

another paid review I fear :coffee2:

Nah. Sputnik has been all over the place with Taylor. 1989 also got a 4.5, but her highest score since then was a 3.3 for Loser. :rip: 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.