The Tortured Poets Department Review Thread | MC - 76

Cloröx

Ouch 84 despite all the violent threats and fear of her status and cult base. That means the real score is like 64

• Like 14
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• DLW

• Cloröx

• Sugden

20 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

I can see Pitchfork reviewing the two records separately. They would hand a lower score for the Jack side (high 6s) and a higher score for the Aaron side (high 7s). I don't think they will pan it. They seemed to have enjoyed it more than Midnights, so definitely in the 7.2-7.9 range at least imo

Yeah I don't think P4K will give this below 7 but who knows.

Sylvia Plath did not stick her head in an oven for this!

Oh my f***ing GOD :deadvision: :deadvision:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DLW said:

Here sis for you to update yourself. Read very carefully:

Paste Magazine 3.6/10

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/taylor-swift/taylor-swift-strikes-out-looking-on-the-tortured-poets-department

yeah I know that's what I was responding to

I'm confused by why you're saying some sh*t like open the schools 

3 hours ago, OrgVisual said:

Classic Swifties behaviors. Counter any criticism with sales.

No wonder they are called success stans

Yes, the "criticism" in here is so level headed and objective :suburban:

2 hours ago, Goaty said:

But isn't the song all about moving on? Sure there's some overtly petty sentiment throughout, but I personally don't see that taking away from what she's trying to say. 

I'm sorry, but hiding KIM in the song title doesn't demonstrate she has moved on at all. It's a petty and childish move that she knows will get her fans to commit the abuse for her while she tries to claim maturity and growth.

:ryan3:

• Like 6

now why is this the same score as ES

Spoiler

it deserves lower

terrorblade

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

25 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

I'm sorry, but hiding KIM in the song title doesn't demonstrate she has moved on at all. It's a petty and childish move that she knows will get her fans to commit the abuse for her while she tries to claim maturity and growth.

Hiding her name in the title isn't even the pettiest part of the song. I don't think she needs to like Kim or even respect her as a person to move on, and I don't think her decision to write a song about the experience and what she's learned from it is evidence that she hasn't moved on. 

Never mind that the concept of "moving on" from something isn't a "you have or you haven't" type of thing. It's a gradience that I think is well reflected in the very song we're discussing. But I understand if others in the thread don't agree with me.

Edited by Goaty
  • Like 2

That school line in the review could have been from me. I think I have used it a lot lately. 

I can feel the -1 from Pitchfork incoming :suburban:

• Haha 3

@Cloröx jinxing PTSD. That's what you get for turning on Taylor's best album. :sistrens:

2 hours ago, AvadaKedavra said:

If the score its goin down hope the critics blame jack antonoff on their reviews.
Thats all we need. For Taylor to realize how he's not good for her anymore.  :giraffe:

Jack helps Taylor release a huge quantity of music in a short time period, which allows her to release multiple albums per year and keeps her name in the spotlight. Just a few bad reviews among the 5/5 reviews won't stop her huge sales and won't stop her winning awards.

Finally got around to listen to the 31 songs, people disliking the album are just tasteless or should come forward and say that they are unable to be objective because the album clears, specially part 2 :clap3:

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

48 minutes ago, Goaty said:

Hiding her name in the title isn't even the pettiest part of the song. I don't think she needs to like Kim or even respect her as a person to move on, and I don't think her decision to write a song about the experience and what she's learned from it is evidence that she hasn't moved on. 

Never mind that the concept of "moving on" from something isn't a "you have or you haven't" type of thing. It's a gradience that I think is well reflected in the very song we're discussing. But I understand if others in the thread don't agree with me.

All I'm going to say to this is if you want to listen to a genuinely healthy "moving on" album, go listen to the masterpiece that is Kacey Musgraves' "Deeper Well".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

her obsession for sales is to blame.

she wants to print millions of copies before finalizing the project.

and she ends up with so many fillers

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Blue. said:

Finally got around to listen to the 31 songs, people disliking the album are just tasteless or should come forward and say that they are unable to be objective because the album clears, specially part 2 :clap3:

How do you feel after this "torture" experiencé

:suburban:

3 hours ago, katara said:

Ouch 84 despite all the violent threats and fear of her status and cult base. That means the real score is like 64

Don't forget the payola inflation scores giving it 100 for no real reason

1 hour ago, JoeAg said:

yeah I know that's what I was responding to

I'm confused by why you're saying some sh*t like open the schools 

They're quoting the review itself:

"I took the miracle move-on drug, the effects were temporary," Swift muses, and it sounds like satire. This is your songwriter of the century? Open the schools.

Also, I'm not sure your dismissal of the critiques over the album's title/title track as people doing the most over it holds much weight when it is literally contradicted by Taylor herself:

I'd written so much tortured poetry in the past 2 years and wanted to share it all with you

https://www.instagram.com/p/C57qcCPucLV/

Edited by AMIT
  • Like 1

It is funny how things have changed and 84 is such a terrible score now.

I remember when Beyoncé's 4 got a 73 and that was an amazing score for a pop girl and nowadays the girls would be dragging. We're truly living in the poptimism era.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

it's going down i'm yelling timber 

This isn't the cc Spotify thread luv

Edited by Redstreak
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wonderland said:

I saw her former classmates go into detail about how she invited the senior class to the 2009 CMAs or something just bc they used to be mean to her. Kim being on her mind does not surprise me, it's in her nature to be petty. Her beating the dead horse by putting her discography back on Spotify during Katy's Witness release. I kinda live!:rip:   

16 minutes ago, AMIT said:

They're quoting the review itself:

Also, I'm not sure your dismissal of the critiques over the album's title/title track as people doing the most over it holds much weight when it is literally contradicted by Taylor herself:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C57qcCPucLV/

oh okay fair

thank you

sorry if i sounded rude to anyone. yeah I've been avoiding my main insta for the most part lately and i don't follow anyone other than my friends on my finsta so yeah I hadn't seen that post. I'm sorry

Edited by JoeAg
  • Like 1

Again why do people want Taylor to "try something new"?

Ya'll are still going to not like her regardless, either going to call her a try hard, call her cringy still, and it's not going to change your perception whatsoever.

So.....

And she dragged Kim?

Where?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.