The Tortured Poets Department Review Thread | MC - 76

Cloröx

I get the good score. The seconf half of the album is great. The non jack antonoff songs. The album is also a very honest album :giraffe:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• DLW

• Cloröx

• Sugden

43 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

For all the obsessed trolls perched in this thread, please dont forget to also visit the other Taylor threads such as this one! :ryan3:

All this proves is that Taylor Swift is probably one of, if not THE most overrated artist of all time. 

• Like 18
  • Thumbs Down 5

1 hour ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

For all the obsessed trolls perched in this thread, please dont forget to also visit the other Taylor threads such as this one! :ryan3:

Are the streams going to make the album not suck? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 minutes ago, ABeyBraith said:

All this proves is that Taylor Swift is probably one of, if not THE most overrated artist of all time. 

1 minute ago, Digitalism said:

Are the streams going to make the album not suck? 

clearly the masses are enjoying the album, yet the sad trolls hide behind a couple of bad reviews to validate their hatred for taylor swift. If it's that bad to you then why are you so invested in it? It's really sad 

:suburban:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Oh, dis where y'all are hiding? Have fun in here…

2 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

clearly the masses are enjoying the album, yet the sad trolls hide behind a couple of bad reviews to validate their hatred for taylor swift. If it's that bad to you then why are you so invested in it? It's really sad 

The album is atrocious. No matter what Swifties says.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The album is bad, she got what she wanted though - to take the momentum and get her fans without much going in their lives to break more records for her. 

• Thanks 8
  • Thumbs Down 1

11 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

Just pointing out you went off topic

Sales don't represent quality

Now you can continue celebrating on the other thread

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Cloröx said:

I'll update it on Monday once P4K gives it a BNM 

:ryan3:

Now mama, this is one of my favorite TS albums, but we know they are going to trash it. And the girls in here will get a 24 hour dopamine rush for the first time in their lives in a long while.

I still need to marinate on the album, but the production, especially on the first half, is very disappointing. I wish she would branch out from Jack. 

She still loves playing the victim which is frustrating. **** you Kim is one of the best songs for having more of a melody than most of the songs, but move on girl!

I will give her this -- even the strongest songwriters (and I consider her one) have cringey lyrics. If twitter was around in 1980, some of the best songwriters then would have cringey lines go viral too.

Right now, I give it a 7/10, but her albums always grow on me. I do miss Cruel Summer or even Cardigan level melodies, though. 

• Like 1

Early favs: TTPD, WAOLOM, I Can do it W/ A Broken Heart, So High School, I Look in Peoples Windows. 

I think Down Bad should be the next single or I can Do it W a Broken Heart. I see singles performing similar to Cardigan or slightly better, but I was wrong about Antihero so who knows. 

Edited by darkfantasy

the album is phoned in trash from both Taylor and Jack but we knew it would average 80+ because of her name alone

• Like 13
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

Classic Swifties behaviors. Counter any criticism with sales.

No wonder they are called success stans

• Like 12
  • Thumbs Down 4

The album is a ******* masterpiece when you really sit down and take the time to digest it all. It's absolutely insane that she was about to make an album of 31 songs and not have one true BAD song on it. Shes a mastermind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 9

18 hours ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

spacer.png

:deadbanana2:

OMFGGGGGG

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Virgos Groove said:

Something that has been crossing my mind is how, to an extent, Taylor is the MCU of pop music. I didn't wanna make this comparison at first since I believe Taylor, even when she misses, has more artistic integrity than the mass-produced schlock Marvel puts out. I mean, Kevin Feige could never make Folkmore, right? But the more I think about it, the more it adds up.

Taylor, since she signed that Republic deal, is effectively a factory, much like the MCU. Is the writing perfect for this release? Does the re-recording accurately capture the original's magic? Could the songs do with better production? "Don't know, don't care!"

In the last two years, it seems like the albums have become lore-delivery machines. How does it sound? What's the overarching concept? Does it tie up as a body of work? "None of that matters. What matters is that this song is about Matt, that one is about Joe, and that little snippet is about Travis." It's the musical equivalent of Marvel inserting "little references" for the sake of it or scheduling ridiculous cameos to generate hype.

I wouldn't say she has entered Drake-level of musical terrorism yet, but she's getting there. Hopefully, the reception to this would wake her up, but who are we kidding? She'll break streaming records and sweep the Grammys, and we'll be doomed to more verbose, barely-melodic, Jack Antonoff-produced first drafts.

To paraphrase Mic The Snare in his video about Midnights, with Folkmore, it seemed like it was finally gonna be about the music. Turns out, it's not. The main priority is and has always been Taylor Swift©®. The music molds itself to that.

I'll be taking most of The Anthology and a couple of songs of TTPD, and I'm sure I'll have the time of my life in the Eras tour. But you can't tell me this is the best she can do. No way.

you kinda summed up the Paste review

6 hours ago, DLW said:

Open the schools!

:ryan3:

idk what you mean by this (i'm sorry i hope i don't sound dumdum i just woke up but i'm about to  go to drag bingo so yass pills legg and such)

1 hour ago, darkfantasy said:

She still loves playing the victim which is frustrating. **** you Kim is one of the best songs for having more of a melody than most of the songs, but move on girl!

But isn't the song all about moving on? Sure there's some overtly petty sentiment throughout, but I personally don't see that taking away from what she's trying to say. 

9 minutes ago, Goaty said:

But isn't the song all about moving on? Sure there's some overtly petty sentiment throughout, but I personally don't see that taking away from what she's trying to say. 

Don't play dumb. The song is literally about a feud from years ago. 

2 minutes ago, darkfantasy said:

Don't play dumb. The song is literally about a feud from years ago. 

I'm not sis. The entire point of the song is reflecting on the ways in which she's grown from the experience. Yes she paints Kim in poor light, and yes she takes a few petty shots at her, but the song climaxes with her moving from "**** you, Aimee" to "thank you, Aimee" and acknowledging how important it all was to getting her where she is today, presumably in a better place. 

Reducing the song to her just "playing the victim" and  "not moving on" when the entire song is about moving on is quite the reductionist take.

33 minutes ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

it's going down i'm yelling timber 

:bibliahh:

If the score its goin down hope the critics blame jack antonoff on their reviews.
Thats all we need. For Taylor to realize how he's not good for her anymore.  :giraffe:

• Like 2

I can see Pitchfork reviewing the two records separately. They would hand a lower score for the Jack side (high 6s) and a higher score for the Aaron side (high 7s). I don't think they will pan it. They seemed to have enjoyed it more than Midnights, so definitely in the 7.2-7.9 range at least imo

1 hour ago, JoeAg said:

idk what you mean by this (i'm sorry i hope i don't sound dumdum i just woke up but i'm about to  go to drag bingo so yass pills legg and such)

Here sis for you to update yourself. Read very carefully:

Paste Magazine 3.6/10

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/taylor-swift/taylor-swift-strikes-out-looking-on-the-tortured-poets-department

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.