The Tortured Poets Department Review Thread | MC - 76

Cloröx

Taylor said she was happy to live in the 1800s without the racism, but note how she made no comment on homophobia?

Get her, critics!

:suburban:

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• DLW

• Cloröx

• Sugden

Not "open the schools." :deadbanana4:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

Taylor said she was happy to live in the 1800s without the racism, but note how she made no comment on homophobia?

Get her, critics!

:suburban:

seeing the gays in here hating on her i totally get it

:ryan3:

• Haha 1

Just now, liam13 said:

seeing the gays in here hating on her i totally get it

Watch her pull a ME! On YNTCD and edit it so only the instrumental is left after all this mess 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Something that has been crossing my mind is how, to an extent, Taylor is the MCU of pop music. I didn't wanna make this comparison at first since I believe Taylor, even when she misses, has more artistic integrity than the mass-produced schlock Marvel puts out. I mean, Kevin Feige could never make Folkmore, right? But the more I think about it, the more it adds up.

Taylor, since she signed that Republic deal, is effectively a factory, much like the MCU. Is the writing perfect for this release? Does the re-recording accurately capture the original's magic? Could the songs do with better production? "Don't know, don't care!"

In the last two years, it seems like the albums have become lore-delivery machines. How does it sound? What's the overarching concept? Does it tie up as a body of work? "None of that matters. What matters is that this song is about Matt, that one is about Joe, and that little snippet is about Travis." It's the musical equivalent of Marvel inserting "little references" for the sake of it or scheduling ridiculous cameos to generate hype.

I wouldn't say she has entered Drake-level of musical terrorism yet, but she's getting there. Hopefully, the reception to this would wake her up, but who are we kidding? She'll break streaming records and sweep the Grammys, and we'll be doomed to more verbose, barely-melodic, Jack Antonoff-produced first drafts.

To paraphrase Mic The Snare in his video about Midnights, with Folkmore, it seemed like it was finally gonna be about the music. Turns out, it's not. The main priority is and has always been Taylor Swift©®. The music molds itself to that.

I'll be taking most of The Anthology and a couple of songs of TTPD, and I'm sure I'll have the time of my life in the Eras tour. But you can't tell me this is the best she can do. No way.

beautifully worded! shes become complacent w what matters: the ARTs. her drive to succeed chart wise is at an all time high though, and good for her, but the music is suffering as a result. 

• Like 7

Good album to bottom too but I'm not a critic 

• Haha 2

The Paste Magazine review seems like the writer just had a personal vendetta against Taylor, and did not want to offer a non-bias opinion. It's fine, but in no way is the album that bad that only a third of it is enjoyable. I understand it's a bit stripped pack and not as catchy as Midnights, but it's definitely not a 38.. :rip: 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 8

This does not deserve a 36 at all but it's kinda refreshing to see a publication actually drag a big pop girl in this era of poptimism.

• Like 4

A score of 36/100 is just ridiculous, even if they don't like the album

1 minute ago, extra_ordinary said:

A score of 36/100 is just ridiculous, even if they don't like the album

Maybe, but it's REALLY funny

yoncegif300contrast.thumb.gif.ec5fe8884d56ed88906a3bd5c508e611.gif

• Like 3

You can't even make a good 10 track album out of it so that score is actually pretty valid.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Something that has been crossing my mind is how, to an extent, Taylor is the MCU of pop music. I didn't wanna make this comparison at first since I believe Taylor, even when she misses, has more artistic integrity than the mass-produced schlock Marvel puts out. I mean, Kevin Feige could never make Folkmore, right? But the more I think about it, the more it adds up.

Taylor, since she signed that Republic deal, is effectively a factory, much like the MCU. Is the writing perfect for this release? Does the re-recording accurately capture the original's magic? Could the songs do with better production? "Don't know, don't care!"

In the last two years, it seems like the albums have become lore-delivery machines. How does it sound? What's the overarching concept? Does it tie up as a body of work? "None of that matters. What matters is that this song is about Matt, that one is about Joe, and that little snippet is about Travis." It's the musical equivalent of Marvel inserting "little references" for the sake of it or scheduling ridiculous cameos to generate hype.

I wouldn't say she has entered Drake-level of musical terrorism yet, but she's getting there. Hopefully, the reception to this would wake her up, but who are we kidding? She'll break streaming records and sweep the Grammys, and we'll be doomed to more verbose, barely-melodic, Jack Antonoff-produced first drafts.

To paraphrase Mic The Snare in his video about Midnights, with Folkmore, it seemed like it was finally gonna be about the music. Turns out, it's not. The main priority is and has always been Taylor Swift©®. The music molds itself to that.

I'll be taking most of The Anthology and a couple of songs of TTPD, and I'm sure I'll have the time of my life in the Eras tour. But you can't tell me this is the best she can do. No way.

I've been making this comparison for years now. The way her music videos quality started drastically decreing so she could cram as many easter eggs as possible was the most obvious sign to me. This album being so bad just solidifies it. It's going to break records, just how Pokémon new games always sell a ton even though they literally put out games that run like sh.t. 

• Like 10

i think 36 is too high

this album is embarrassing

I know I might sound like a OTH on this site, but I've been listening and knowing ALL the words to most of her discography and was stanning down at some points. And I didn't want to post this in the album thread so the stans could have their own space.

But it's just so goddamn frustrating to see her lack of growth and lack of focus, and getting rewarded for it. Like I really tried to give it some space to surprise me and wow me. But everything, every note, every melody, every production choice, is nothing new.mp3  :gaycat7: She's in dire need of a quality control department, cause there's a good album somewhere in here. But instead it's just a thesaurus.com sponsored novel that boils down into nothing, that says nothing, that leaves nothing.

She's resting on her laurels. She could have been so much more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Where is the OP?

• Haha 2

why there is so few reviews these days?

3 minutes ago, ttsmu said:

Where is the OP?

Hiding :bibliahh:

Cameltoe Chariot
1 minute ago, ttsmu said:

Where is the OP?

At The Tortured Poet's Department, obvi

20588991-E6-C9-422-C-8-EDA-E76-D0-B3-B04

• Haha 6

46 minutes ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Ig OTH can't decide if publications are paid by her not 

They celebrate bad reviews and hate on good reviews 

I have never seen this level of obsession but not remotely surprised 

This is the only thing they have, don't ruin it for them :ryan3:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ttsmu said:

Where is the OP?

Watch it drop even lower and then they'll regret not editing it earlier

'Cause Karma is my boyfriend 

Is there a cut off date for metacritic reviews ?

3 minutes ago, scot954 said:

Is there a cut off date for metacritic reviews ?

When Taylor stops sending cheques

• Haha 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.