Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

2 minutes ago, Klein said:

Pretty much the same here. 

I'm not really fond of it being the track 5, merely because there's something else on the album that fits the bill a thousand times better: The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived. loml would be my second choice. So Long London only comes third when I think of track 5s (on the standard edition). 

I agree! I'd put loml as the first contender though. 

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

So Long, London has emerged as the best track on TTPDTA... would have preferred it as the opener though...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Klein said:

Pretty much the same here. 

I'm not really fond of it being the track 5, merely because there's something else on the album that fits the bill a thousand times better: The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived. loml would be my second choice. So Long London only comes third when I think of track 5s (on the standard edition). 

I guess I really like it as the start of the core of the album narrative. The first four tracks are setting the premise, but then from SLL all the way through to The Alchemy it really feels like we get the entire story from the Joe breakup all the way through to Travis. Sonically/lyrically, I agree there were stronger candidates, but narratively it's perfect. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wastedpotential said:

I guess I really like it as the start of the core of the album narrative. The first four tracks are setting the premise, but then from SLL all the way through to The Alchemy it really feels like we get the entire story from the Joe breakup all the way through to Travis. Sonically/lyrically, I agree there were stronger candidates, but narratively it's perfect. 

A lot would need to be improved for a great tracklist narratively speaking tbh. TTPD's is decent, and probably one of her strongest effort on that aspect, but it's still a bit weird (like BDILH before FOTS, GAS after we closed the Joe portion of the album, WAOLOM in the middle of all this?, Down Bad right before SLL...). 

Spoiler

I'm gonna put this in spoiler because I actually have a lot to say on that matter. Despite loving 29/31 track on the album (everything but Fortnight and Robin), from my point of view, she could have handled the tracklisting (and track selection) a lot better for the album. 

I think she should have kept the standard album strictly about the relationships (and remove the Travis songs because they don't fit in the general mood and ambiance of the album) and have the second part be the songs about her fame. Both aspects (relationships and fame) are essential for the album and for the time that was 2023 for her, but separating them in the two sides would make for a much more cohesive story on the standard. 

I would remove the songs that have nothing to do with both aspects, and therefore have these ones be chopped from the tracklist:

- thanK you aIMee

- Cassandra

- Peter (this one is debatable if you want, but I'm not sure it's really fitting)

- Robin

As I said I would also remove the songs about Travis:

- The Alchemy

- So High School

And I would finally remove the songs that fit the two main themes of the album but that don't really add anything to the narrative:

- The Tortured Poets Department

- Florida!!!

- imgonnagetyouback

- The Bolter

So yeah, that would be quite the chop. But it would then go:

Standard (Joe+Ratty): 

1. My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys

2. Guilty As Sin?

3. So Long London

4. The Black Dog

5. How Did It End?

6. Fresh Out The Slammer

7. Fortnight

8. But Daddy I Love Him

9. I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)

10. Down Bad

11. Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus

12. The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived

13. loml

14. I Look In People's Windows

15. The Prophecy

16. I Can Do It With A Broken Heart

Deluxe (fame, celebrity):

17. The Albatross

18. Who's Afraid Of Little Old Me?

19. I Hate It Here

20. Clara Bow

21. The Manuscript

The 6 other tracks (The Alchemy until The Bolter) that I removed would be cool as vault tracks though, just not on the main project of the album. The other 4 (TYA until Robin) could be droplets if she really wanted to release them. 

Edited by Klein

12 hours ago, Kyle-x said:

This one is fanmade but the official one on CD has shipped so should be available soon!

I'm such a Clown Fad stan.:bibliahh:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Great Username said:

Someone give Her a billion more dollars NOW 

Classic GU. :clap3:

Back to back flawless stanning only to end with a punchline. 

:ahh:

Have you guys noticed that there's a group of pick me swifties that love to criticize her/us in every thread filled with OTH just to get some sympathy? That's so funny lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badgalbriel said:

Have you guys noticed that there's a group of pick me swifties that love to criticize her/us in every thread filled with OTH just to get some sympathy? That's so funny lol

I noticed it too and those people are the absolute worst, i don't think any other fanbase has people like that :sick:

14 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

I know at least two that do this and it's so embarrassing :rip:

2 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

I know at least two that do this and it's so embarrassing :rip:

Can we name them? I really wanna know of it we're talking about the same people 

1 minute ago, Badgalbriel said:

Can we name them? I really wanna know of it we're talking about the same people 

I'd rather not cause then they'll cry and play the victim like it has happened before. I can DM you who I'm talking about though :bird:

OT: TTPD is a Taylor Swift album that came out April 19th and has 31 tracks :clap3:

Edited by Dear Reader

Just now, Dear Reader said:

I'd rather not cause then they'll cry and play the victim like it has happened before. I can DM you who I'm talking about though :bird:

Yeah let's do that 

Peter is seriously one of the best songs I've ever heard. cardigan's little sister :jonny5:

• Like 5

Do you guys think she's releasing a music video for ICDIWABH?

I think it's possible but I'm not very positive :suburban:

1 minute ago, MidnightsAtPeace said:

Do you guys think she's releasing a music video for ICDIWABH?

I think it's possible but I'm not very positive :suburban:

If she is, it will be your footage. I wouldn't get my hopes up for new visuals while she's touring Europe 

:suburban:

So Long, London is track 5 over The Smallest Man because while there are several track 5s about sh*tty relationships across her discography, there was no track 5 that touched the quiet acceptance (and kinda melancholic one) of a relationship running its course... I find it very elegant and it's definitely in my Top 3 of the album

• Like 5

I like SLL as track 5 because it's about the relationship that set the stage for the events of all of the songs surrounding it. And I feel like the emotional core of that song is about a deeper wound than any of the other songs are

How Did It End? > So Long, London 

I love SLL, but sometimes I think it's a touch too obvious as a track 5. Plus, it's actually quite surface level as far as that relationship + it ending goes. How Did It End? is actually devastating when you think of not only the relationship and the end of it, but Taylor's love life up to that point. :weeps: 

• Like 3

Been away from this thread for a minute, have we accepted TTPD:TA is her best album ever no skips? 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 12:24 PM, mael said:

So Long, London has emerged as the best track on TTPDTA... would have preferred it as the opener though...

Yep it would have ushered the album into the TTPD vibe beautifully. I would have chosen My boy as the second and Down bad as then prob fresh out the slammer... as track 4...

3 hours ago, AnitaFalafel said:

Been away from this thread for a minute, have we accepted TTPD:TA is her best album ever no skips? 

No. It's a great album, but too much filler. 60% of the Anthology is just bad BAD, while the standard album is of course much more polished but still lacks some editing. TTPD is no folklore. 

• Confused 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.