Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

I don't think this needs any more singles, especially with the last two TVs around the corner.

1 hour ago, liam13 said:

when will she get an instant smash hit that also is a banger again like Blank Space or IKYWT :gaycat6:

Well, never.

That was a specific point in her career, and now she has moved on to other types of music. Her music of the past ~10 years shows that she doesn't want to do the polished, tight pop music that she did in 2012-14 anymore. Especially with how she has never returned to Max Martin, despite being on good terms with him.

• Replies 50.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

2 hours ago, liam13 said:

when will she get an instant smash hit that also is a banger again like Blank Space or IKYWT :gaycat6:

The crazy pattern is that Taylor always gets smash hits in pairs that come just months after

2009/10 - Love Story -> You Belong With Me

2012/13 - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together -> I Knew You Were Trouble

2014/15 Shake It Off -> Blank Space

2022/23 - Anti-Hero -> Cruel Summer

Then she's got another level of smaller hits that are either streaming driven (Look What You Made Me Do, Lover) or radio driven (22, Style/WD, Delicate, You Need To Calm Down, Karma) that are known but aren't playing at the same level, and I think Fortnight will slot somewhere in here. IDWLF and Bad Blood kinda fall in between the groups, but I don't think they've held up well as memorable smash hits)

If we get lucky, TS12 will spawn a hit or two at that level (and then TS13 might get another one) :gaycat4:

• Like 1

Probably the only Taylor song I went out of my way (search on Spotify lol) to play and listen to with intent yesterday and I had a literal epiphany in my sleep.

Wow. 

Spoiler

Purgatory is real.

:ryan3:

Spoiler

No it's not!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

reputa (TV) where are you? I'm calling your name. Can you hear me. Shouting from the rooftops. I need your sexy vault tracks in my life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Taylor fanboy said:

Probably the only Taylor song I went out of my way (search on Spotify lol) to play and listen to with intent yesterday and I had a literal epiphany in my sleep.

Wow. 

Hide contents

Purgatory is real.

:ryan3:

Hide contents

No it's not!

This is my favorite track off of TTPD/Anthology. The bridge + final chorus is haunting and beautiful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wastedpotential said:

The crazy pattern is that Taylor always gets smash hits in pairs that come just months after

2009/10 - Love Story -> You Belong With Me

2012/13 - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together -> I Knew You Were Trouble

2014/15 Shake It Off -> Blank Space

2022/23 - Anti-Hero -> Cruel Summer

Then she's got another level of smaller hits that are either streaming driven (Look What You Made Me Do, Lover) or radio driven (22, Style/WD, Delicate, You Need To Calm Down, Karma) that are known but aren't playing at the same level, and I think Fortnight will slot somewhere in here. IDWLF and Bad Blood kinda fall in between the groups, but I don't think they've held up well as memorable smash hits)

If we get lucky, TS12 will spawn a hit or two at that level (and then TS13 might get another one) :gaycat4:

I think Fortnight will be as big as Anti-Hero in the long run.

5 minutes ago, Enrique523 said:

I think Fortnight will be as big as Anti-Hero in the long run.

On streaming it's shaping up to be just a hair bigger and in 12/18 months we might be having that conversation, but I don't think it's achieved the same degree of cultural permeation. There hasn't been anything quite like the impact of "It's me, hi" from Fortnight yet. I also don't think it'll have nearly as smooth and durable of a radio run (maybe on HAC, but nowhere else), but again, we'll have to see. The people calling it a flop are just ******* stupid, though. 

• Like 1

Fortnight is out of the top 10 when AH had to leave the #1 because of christmas. (Though fortnight > AH)

52 minutes ago, Clauss said:

Fortnight is out of the top 10 when AH had to leave the #1 because of christmas. (Though fortnight > AH)

Competition is just bigger and she's cannibalizing herself.

The streams are speaking for itself.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wastedpotential said:

On streaming it's shaping up to be just a hair bigger and in 12/18 months we might be having that conversation, but I don't think it's achieved the same degree of cultural permeation. There hasn't been anything quite like the impact of "It's me, hi" from Fortnight yet. I also don't think it'll have nearly as smooth and durable of a radio run (maybe on HAC, but nowhere else), but again, we'll have to see. The people calling it a flop are just ******* stupid, though. 

I agree it doesn't seem to be as big in terms of cultural impact, especially since Anti-Hero was her first TRUE big hit since arguably the 1989 era (before the Eras Tour boosted her entire discography) but i would argue the TTPD album as a whole is having a big cultural impact, so it doesn't even truly matter when you think about it. People are consumming the whole album, not just the lead single.

And yeah i just can't take seriously anyone saying it's a flop. Just because a song isn't the biggest hit of the moment doesn't mean it's flopping. Not every hit is gonna be a Cruel Summer, a Flowers or a Espresso :toofunny3:

Edited by Enrique523
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Page 1992 my year :angelo:

Of course Fortnight will be as big or bigger than AH in streams. Streaming is so big now it's already about to hit 400 million. This song will ride out the summer along with whatever she puts out as single number 2. Plus the label will make sure the radio push gets it to number one, but they are playing longevity game it looks like. 

GAS and Broken Heart are so different from Fortnight they should really push a second single tbh. Give the album more life on the charts and will help get the album to 10B much faster with follow up single 

2 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

Competition is just bigger and she's cannibalizing herself.

The streams are speaking for itself.

Radio is not on board this time. That it has more streams might mean that streaming number have increase userwise or that she has more fans but not the GP support

• Confused 1

:jonny5:

Y'all wanna drag me for my repetitive opinions fine BUT 

But Daddy I Love Him is a quote from the Disney movie The Little Mermaid that came out in 1989 and Taylor was born in and has an album called 1989.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Feanor said:

I don't think this needs any more singles, especially with the last two TVs around the corner.

Well, never.

That was a specific point in her career, and now she has moved on to other types of music. Her music of the past ~10 years shows that she doesn't want to do the polished, tight pop music that she did in 2012-14 anymore. Especially with how she has never returned to Max Martin, despite being on good terms with him.

I see it as less of a "never", and more of "when I'm ready to do that in my career again". I think at some point she'll revisit fully. She still has glimpses of those kinds of moments in her music. Loads of Midnights songs I'd still class as shiny pop music and even on TTPD you've got I Can Do It With a Broken Heart. I think she's leaving crumbs to revisit.

Edited by Jack!

1 hour ago, selena_lavigne said:

Y'all wanna drag me for my repetitive opinions fine BUT 

But Daddy I Love Him is a quote from the Disney movie The Little Mermaid that came out in 1989 and Taylor was born in and has an album called 1989.

This isn't an opinion, its a fact we discussed before the album even released...

• Haha 3

I can't believe I saw a fan just say "she doesn't have gP supOrt":mazen: 

The whole album has GP support, it's not like she has just one song taking up all the streams  while the rest of the album flops like most other artists

• Like 1

Fresh Out the Slammer worships are now

• Like 5

TTPD is her best title track! 

TTPD

evermore

Red

Fearless

Speak Now

Lover

5 minutes ago, Tusk said:

TTPD

evermore

Red

Fearless

Speak Now

Lover

Now that is a take no one else has ever said or even thought of before :rip:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tusk said:

TTPD

evermore

Red

Fearless

Speak Now

Lover

well. everyone is allowed to have an opinion. i guess?

7 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Now that is a take no one else has ever said or even thought of before :rip:

Just now, fridayteenage said:

well. everyone is allowed to have an opinion. i guess?

Just wait to hear me scream during the next discography rate when no one of my favs reach the top 100. 

My taste is….queer.  Proud to be queer.  Happy Pride. Stream "7 Bars of Chocolate"!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

Fresh Out the Slammer worships are now

Well see... Faith Of The Scripture worships are always :ryan3:

• Like 4

i never knew she did some stadiums during fearless

edmonton 33,910

foxborough 56,868 / 56,868

No wonder Foxborough was gonna be the host of Loverfest East

7 hours ago, Enrique523 said:

I agree it doesn't seem to be as big in terms of cultural impact, especially since Anti-Hero was her first TRUE big hit since arguably the 1989 era (before the Eras Tour boosted her entire discography) but i would argue the TTPD album as a whole is having a big cultural impact, so it doesn't even truly matter when you think about it. People are consumming the whole album, not just the lead single.

And yeah i just can't take seriously anyone saying it's a flop. Just because a song isn't the biggest hit of the moment doesn't mean it's flopping. Not every hit is gonna be a Cruel Summer, a Flowers or a Espresso :toofunny3:

But if ICDIWABH is the lead single, it would have been as big as Espresso, cruel summer imo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.