Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

2 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

After a few days...I'm genuinely in love with this album and it's lowkey in her Top 5 or 6 for me.  It feels way more essential to her canon than Midnights did (which i think is a good album, but outside of a handful of highlights and most of the 3 AM tracks, it kinda felt like Taylor by the numbers?).  This has more heart and grit to it, which I really love.  

Its competing for top 3 for me. But rep TV could push that out once it comes out.

1. evermore
2. speak now
3. red
4. tortured poet's
5. rep 
6. Midnights
7. folklore 
8. fearless
9. 1989
10. lover

unranked:  taylor swift; need new vocals to rank. estimating it will be 7 or 8.

Edited by Gladiator

• Replies 50.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

Just had dinner at my parents' and before I left I told their Alexa to play TTPD on repeat at volume 1 :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

between broken heart and down bad, aside from feeling that broken heart has more hit potential,

down bad's content makes me think of a certain awful smash single by two people with whom taylor's had bad blood.

I just looked through all my TTPD vinyls and CDs and WOW. Her best photoshoot?! Not a bad photo in sight. That each booklet has their own photos is divine. Every GAS? page is a GAG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, every1blinks said:

I just looked through all my TTPD vinyls and CDs and WOW. Her best photoshoot?! Not a bad photo in sight. That each booklet has their own photos is divine. Every GAS? page is a GAG

She is SERVING in visuals this era.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Fortune said:

How are you guys getting yourself to listen to the whole album? It feels really hard to appreciate it as if you start at the beginning, you are a bit fatigued. Shuffle it?! Start at random points?! ANy ideas?

I break it up into chunks of 4-5 songs -- either sequences I already enjoy or sequences I haven't listened to much. If I start from the beginning I usually get distracted / pulled away around the halfway mark.

2 minutes ago, every1blinks said:

I got the signed Manuscript vinyl, the Black Dog vinyl, and the collector's edition The Bolter cd. This is hands-down her best album packaging. So much thought was put into it.

24 minutes ago, RihannaStan4LIFE said:

So like…did anyone else catch that holy ground and but daddy I love him are essentially the same song👀

Sorry I keep getting confused reactions and I realize I probs should've explained more☠️ Basically if you replace holy ground's instrumental w BDILH (and vice versa), they both fit together extremely well.

I made this on some AI mashup editor to show what I'm talking about lol, I'm kinda shook tbh

Edited by RihannaStan4LIFE

2 minutes ago, Goaty said:

I break it up into chunks of 4-5 songs -- either sequences I already enjoy or sequences I haven't listened to much. If I start from the beginning I usually get distracted / pulled away around the halfway mark.

I think I will have to give this a go because I'm finding it quite tough to actually explore all of the tracks.

Or I get obsessed with some of the god-tier tracks :WAP:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

Yeah TBD is unambiguously a Joever song

The Best Day is a Joever song???

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952xdn1h21j9xor4a7n5r

• Haha 1

So Long, London be hitting today. Being in love with someone so deeply that when it's over, the city itself becomes a memory you're caged in and forced to face in your day to day grief :chick3:

And I'm just getting color back into my face
I'm just mad as hell 'cause I loved this place for so long

Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT' - Page 1305 - Music - ATRL

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Miss Fortune said:

How are you guys getting yourself to listen to the whole album? It feels really hard to appreciate it as if you start at the beginning, you are a bit fatigued. Shuffle it?! Start at random points?! ANy ideas?

I used to shuffle it the first few days. Now I just listen to one half or the other, in its entirety. Most of the day I was listening to the standard, but I've had anthology on repeat for the past two hours. I think I prefer it this way since they are two different kinds of sounds and it is refreshing to return to the other... though I really, really hope she adds The Anthology as a standalone album in a few months for my own organization purposes for Spotify.

13 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

After a few days...I'm genuinely in love with this album and it's lowkey in her Top 5 or 6 for me.  It feels way more essential to her canon than Midnights did (which i think is a good album, but outside of a handful of highlights and most of the 3 AM tracks, it kinda felt like Taylor by the numbers?).  This has more heart and grit to it, which I really love.  

Yeah. My initial reaction was that it was only like #8 or so but it's pretty easily shot up to replace Fearless at #5. I still think that the original 13 track Fearless is her most flawless, best-sequenced work, but 31 tracks with no skips and only a few weak spots is just an undeniable serve. And I am above all else a wordy Taylor Swift songs stan so I'm afraid it was inevitable that it would move up my rankings… surprised how quickly it happened though!

13 minutes ago, Miss Fortune said:

When I was first getting into it, I found it easiest to just put one song on loop and listen to it several times in a row. Now I just shuffle the whole album.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Miss Fortune said:

Okay. I was very late to the album cos of personal reasons but I have now listened thru 4 times.

Here are my current low-tier tracks. 

• My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys
  • Fresh Out Of The Slammer
  • I Can Fix Him 
  • Chloe / Sam / Sophia
  • Peter 

I do feel as if 31 songs was v. long and I actually wish she'd released them 1 week separately from each other as they are very clearly 2 different halves and need their own time to digest. 

Personally I'm just listening to them as two separate experiences but I've heard a lot of people say put it on shuffle

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

The Best Day is a Joever song???

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952xdn1h21j9xor4a7n5r

I fear we're going to encounter the same issues we did with the initials of Saint Cornelia and Christian Salvation. I tried CS and CSt. for a while to try and differentiate, but that sucked ass, so I fear we're gonna be stuck with context clues. One is the skip on Fearless when I don't want to think about Scott's prostate vacuuming, and one is one of the greatest piano ballads ever made, lets pray the context never gets toooo confusing

:suburban:

Just now, Gladiator said:

The way they don't know any of the words but are still so confident? They just like me frfr

• Haha 2

The Anthology is clicking finally :loud: it's truly folklore 3.0 which is cute and all but it shouldn't have been associated with TTPD when it sounds so different :biblionny: she kinda prioritized TTPD's sales over cohesiveness and accessibility

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

between broken heart and down bad, aside from feeling that broken heart has more hit potential,

down bad's content makes me think of a certain awful smash single by two people with whom taylor's had bad blood.

Which song?

2 minutes ago, Gladiator said:

:ryan3:

Glad they're having a good time

• Like 1

Just now, Saintlor said:

Which song?

ET for sure lmao :gaycat7:

• Like 1

This album is definitely for stans-only and not casual fans.

And definitely, people who care enough to play it a lot of times to get into the tracks. It really took me a few listens to start getting into this album a lot

The lyrical content is so personal to Taylor and not the listener (unlike her other music too) so anyone listening for relatability won't get that... it seems more for stans to get to know Taylor more and how she's been feeling.

Edited by Saintlor
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

One is the skip on Fearless

Oh. Someone is asking for down votes. 

Every listen through the album just reveals new earworms. imgonnagetyouback that chorus is just

4 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

Oh. Someone is asking for down votes. 

Please finish the sentence beloved :heart2:

I was listening to The Blessed Day whilst reading the text of Scott's email, and now whenever I hear "I have an excellent father, his strength is making me stronger" I can't help but think about his ED :gaycat6:

Sonically, it's one of my favorites on the album, though :gaycat4:

• Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.