Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

45 minutes ago, Twilish said:

Down Bad SMASHING :jonny4: the crowd needs a music video queen

what word would she use to replace the F BOMB? YouTube allows the explicit version?

i remember she used "go straight to hell" in its place for "Betty"

• Replies 50.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

55 minutes ago, PurrKaty said:

This is an interesting take, cause in my opinion her writing is better than ever before, and her songs are more melodically mature than they used to be. I see a ton of growth on the new album even compared to Midnights. Maybe you just don't like Jack's production style and synth-pop, which is totally up to you to decide. But I really don't see Midnights or TTPD as her in a comfort zone and not pushing herself. Imo she's pushed harder each era.

I actually love Synth pop and I for one, don't mind Jack's production but here is an example of synth-pop done well, with powerful lyrics and a catchy melody 

We know the capacity of Taylor's talent but TTPD is an album created with the same tempo and structure that gets repetitive to the point when it's hard to tell when one song ends and the other one starts. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Arrows said:

I really think the title track is responsible for at least 10 negative points on Metacritic.

It's by far the most Jack-sounding song on the album, it's the title track which automatically makes emblematic of the album, it's track 2 and sets the tone early on, following a pretty similar-sounding track 1.

It also contains the Charlie Puth lyric, the off-putting Matty references and is just a pretty weak track, which the poor streaming updates reflect. 

It's okay, but my least favorite on the album, which imo would've been better off without it.

I agree. It's easily 31/31. I get why she had to do it since it's a Joe reference (group chat name) but mocks Matthew (his career / personality).

But imagine if the album had been called The Prophecy. And she leaned into the witchy / prophetess vibe for an aesthetic. Oh Taylor. Why didn't you ask to borrow my brain for 5 minutes. 

lady-gaga-nurtec.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

And I sound like an infant
Feeling like the very last drops of an ink pen
A greater woman stays cool
But I howl like a wolf at the moon
And I look unstable
Gathered with a coven 'round a sorceress' table
A greater woman has faith
But even statues crumble if they're made to wait
I'm so afraid I sealed my fate
No sign of soulmates
I'm just a paperweight in shades of greige
Spending my last coin so someone will tell me it'll be okay

Such a MOMENT, the delivery :jonny5:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived is the Dear John of TTPD. She scalped with every line and with so much quiet anger. No follicles survived the evisceration :jonny4:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

this town is fake, but you're the real thing

breath of fresh air through smoke rings

take the glory, give everything

promise to be 

dazzling

spacer.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NEX said:

The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived is the Dear John of TTPD. She scalped with every line and with so much quiet anger. No follicles survived the evisceration :jonny4:

The way I felt like she legit wants him to die after I heard the song for the first time. :deadbanana4:

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Maroon legacy said:

yes for sure :ryan3:

More like THE best, actually :ryan3:

• Like 1

I'm hooked to different song each time I wake up. :skull: First it was, ICDIWABH. Then, WAOLOM?, then it was MBOBHFT, and now it's TTPD (title track). The chokehold this album have on me :deadbanana2:

Spoiler

These long AF abbreviations :toofunny3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Taylor fanboy said:

Oh honey you should write a book. Rob Sheffield is shaking.

Her ET. :WAP:

spacer.png

Ugh as I said I wish I had the time. I would love to do Guilty as Sin? next. Sadly, journalism is pretty dead, and the reviewers are too dumb to understand the dense lyricism at play here which resulted in some messy reviews. I never read music reviews thankfully, but I'm back on my Youtube grind. This hugeass breakdown is going to keep me fed for now.

Edited by Walk_Away21
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

I agree. It's easily 31/31. I get why she had to do it since it's a Joe reference (group chat name) but mocks Matthew (his career / personality).

But imagine if the album had been called The Prophecy. And she leaned into the witchy / prophetess vibe for an aesthetic. Oh Taylor. Why didn't you ask to borrow my brain for 5 minutes. 

lady-gaga-nurtec.gif

Plus there's a lot of religious and Greek mythology going on for the album. :jonny5:

1 minute ago, aesthetic bih said:

I'm hooked to different song each time I wake up. :skull: First it was, ICDIWABH. Then, WAOLOM?, then it was MBOBHFT, and now it's TTPD (title track). The chokehold this album have on me :deadbanana2:

Reveal hidden contents

These long AF abbreviations :toofunny3:

ATW10MVTVFTVSGAV is SHAKING 

stephm.png

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, SinnerCity said:

I actually love Synth pop and I for one, don't mind Jack's production but here is an example of synth-pop done well, with powerful lyrics and a catchy melody 

We know the capacity of Taylor's talent but TTPD is an album created with the same tempo and structure that gets repetitive to the point when it's hard to tell when one song ends and the other one starts. 

I would've never expected Florrie to be brought up in a Taylor thread, but I feel like she does synth-pop so well.

Makes me wonder what a Taylor album produced by Xenomania would sound (think Call The Shots/Untouchable and not Love Machine/Biology) like.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

lady-gaga-nurtec.gif

Oh your mind :clap3:

22 minutes ago, sammyk said:

what word would she use to replace the F BOMB? YouTube allows the explicit version?

i remember she used "go straight to hell" in its place for "Betty"

Damn it, if I can't have him

Screw it, if I can't have him

Idk, those are the only substitutes I can think of😅

EDIT: The official clean version has it as "WHAT IF I can't have him" and she also sings it in a slightly modified melody - it's kinda cool!

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ZppTs30quQk&si=FzBKforHRake7nzb

Edited by aesthetic bih
  • Thanks 1

Is it time to admit Clara Bow is the best song on the album? It's ironic how such a minimalistic song best encapsulates how gargantuan she is right now. 

I was almost brought to tears when I first heard it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Squall said:

ATW10MVTVFTVSGAV is SHAKING 

stephm.png

That abbreviation will never fail to make me cackle, especially if anyone bothers to even spell it out letter-by-letter! :bibliahh:

Also, the way our fave has always been inadvertently training us for moments like this, a proactive queen - WHEW!

stephm.png

Sometimes the censored version kinda eats. I still prefer "your contrarian wit" to "your contrarian sh*t" :dies: Haven't checked out the censored version of ttpd yet

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 4

Clara Bow kinda her best album closer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

Is it time to admit Clara Bow is the best song on the album? It's ironic how such a minimalistic song best encapsulates how gargantuan she is right now. 

I was almost brought to tears when I first heard it.

You look like Taylor Swift

sqHNzkX.gif

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Squall said:

And I sound like an infant
Feeling like the very last drops of an ink pen
A greater woman stays cool
But I howl like a wolf at the moon
And I look unstable
Gathered with a coven 'round a sorceress' table
A greater woman has faith
But even statues crumble if they're made to wait
I'm so afraid I sealed my fate
No sign of soulmates
I'm just a paperweight in shades of greige
Spending my last coin so someone will tell me it'll be okay

Such a MOMENT, the delivery :jonny5:

The song I keep coming back to! 😭

38 minutes ago, Arrows said:

My Mom is as GP'ed as they come (her favorite songs are Shallow and Shape Of You:rip:) and she LOVED this album. She was blown away and it was really just so cute: "this has to be the best thing she's EVER done!". She ended up lying in my sofa, eyes closed, taking in every song. And she's never really been that into Taylor before, so I was really surprised. She even said the word "genius" when WAOLOM ended, and brought up Bob Dylan as an artist Taylor reminded her of:heart2:

Thanks for all the magical moments your music brings, Taylor

what a cute post, wish my mom cared this much about what I listen to. That's so special :heart2:

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

I can fix him is pure evermore. I love It. Especially the part where She plagiarizes Cindy Lauper time after time. 

I caught this on first listen and was so giddy because that's one of my fave songs of all time omg

Spoiler

She kinda already plagiarized it on The Archer but she did it much better this time :ryan3: 

I don't get what's the problem with the title tortured poet.

Doesn't She actually mock the concept with the Song lyrics? It's very smart.

I read the article of the new yorker about the album (yes our girl releases take also culture think from The new yorker) and while the article is black and white, It's negative for some aspects but at the sams time says It's fascinating etc... It writes the "modern idiots" line is great.

9 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

I would've never expected Florrie to be brought up in a Taylor thread, but I feel like she does synth-pop so well.

Makes me wonder what a Taylor album produced by Xenomania would sound (think Call The Shots/Untouchable and not Love Machine/Biology) like.

I see the kind of vision Taylor saw in Guilty as Success?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.