Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

1 minute ago, Achilles. said:

Yeah, I don't relate to the vast majority of her songs because I've never really done the relationship thing but her songs where she branches out tend to hit pretty hard. It was I Hate It Here for me right on first listen. That delulu I hate my life so I just go to other places in my mind. Yeah, that's my whole life. 

katy-perry-the-tortured-poets-department

and now you know Taylor feels that way too sometimes

• Replies 50.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

13 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Oh sweetie let me get on my soap box. TLDR version @Taylor fanboy:

• Both Down Bad meanings are used simultaneously. She's Down Bad sad about it ending, BUT still Down Bad for that experience and wants it back. Emily Dickinson is shaking.
  • The alien theme is GIVING the whole song. Beam me up, sparkling dust, experiments on me, chosen one, cosmic love, etc are the obvious ones.
  • "Staring at the sky, come back and pick me up" aka she wants her UFO back.
  • "Just to leave me here naked and alone? In a field in my same old town that somehow seems so hollow now" is giving Signs crop circles.
  • "They'll say I'm nuts if I talk about the existence of you" alien conspiracy theorists
  • "hostile takeovers" is a common alien theme where they abduct you and mind control you
  • "Encounters" Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • She echos "waving at the ship" at the end aka waving goodbye to the UFO and accepting it

She ******* ate this extraterrestrial concept down. Chats and Reacts you are bones.

And to add for the uneducated Letterboxers, Close Encounters of the Third Kind plot summary: It is the story of Roy Neary, an everyday blue-collar worker in Indiana, whose life changes after an encounter with a UFO. I think there's also a double meaning to the entire song based on her "Tell me I was the chosen one?" line and some others. It's giving random girl from Pennsylvania being the world's fixation. It's a theme she talks about on But Daddy I Love Him, Guilty as Sin, and Clara Bow mainly. That she's the chosen pop star but being on top is fleeting. And people can't wait to tear you down after they put you up there. Oh Taylor Allison Swift you will always be famous. Bitchfork just doesn't GET IT.

Edited by Walk_Away21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mocha said:

imgonnagetyouback is the Dress of this album and i'm totally obsessed with it :WAP:

Truth!  I 100% agree.

• Like 1

Good morning.

Cant wait to streams a certain billionaire's album again so they can earn more money and commit crimes against nature. 

:suburban:

Edited by greeneyedsoul
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Magickarp said:

How was the review cuz im not giving that man a view:khalyan: 

I only skipped to the ending :fan: the tracks he liked were Guilty as Sin, loml and Smallest Man

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mocha said:

imgonnagetyouback is the Dress of this album and i'm totally obsessed with it :WAP:

Dress is one of her best songs of all time. The taste is really LEAPING tonight :jonnycat:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

Maybe you need to be a bit of a stoner/benzo/depressed/soft grunge/dreamcore girlie to get this album idk :jonny5:

No wonder it's been an immediate fan favorite 

Spoiler

:jonny5:

• Like 1

Just now, 1989 said:

No wonder it's been an immediate fan favorite 

Hide contents

:jonny5:

no truly like I need to know her secret soft grunge Tumblr account 

• Like 1

I know this is a reach but the synthy bass line in So Long London makes me think of a heartbeat... Like in You're Losing Me.... Oh god 

Also this song is f****** amazing, the arrangement of the bridge goD

Please. The title track just came on shuffle and as soon as the first note played I thought "jumpscare!"

Spoiler

I love the "who's gonna hold you" hook but basically everything else about this song is a CHOP. 

19 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

I'm convinced people claiming these lyrics are "bad" and "juvenile" don't understand sarcasm and irony like....she's making fun of herself in so many of these songs and the wordplay is way more clever than so many reviewers are noticing on initial listens. It took me a bit to "get" the alien sound (like the glittering creepy beginning and ending, OHHH) and metaphors in Down Bad, but once I did, HOLY ISH. I was like OHHHHH.

It's kind of crazy-making how critics are trying to gaslight us into thinking we have poor or limited reading comprehension  :khalyan2:

Drag Mr.S

:khalyan:

4 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

no truly like I need to know her secret soft grunge Tumblr account 

She definitely reblogged a black and white aesthetic photo set with quotes from Just Kids in 2011, now we just have to find it 

Edited by 1989
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AnitaFalafel said:

I know this is a reach but the synthy bass line in So Long London makes me think of a heartbeat... Like in You're Losing Me.... Oh god 

The urgency in the song makes me think she running through the airport to catch her flight out of London and once she is breathless on the plane, she can finally remember 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm so happy I have you all here because the rest of the internet is making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

okay now I think you need to be kind of stoned or high to fully "get" this album because I'm fully hearing all kinds of subtle stuff I didn't notice before. she is a genius.

:clap3:

Well no wonder now... :suburban:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

The lyric "but she's too young to know this song that was intertwined in the magic fabric of our dreaming" in The Black Dog kills me especially if you frame it against the lyric "and I'm pissed off you let me give you all that youth for free" in So Long, London. The recurring theme of time wasted / fleeting youth / nature of men and the media to replace women with the shinier new upgrade that's been interwoven into her work lately is so brutally honest. :khalyan: But then there's an even more sinister parallel of that The Black Dog lyric to the one in The Manuscript where she says "she thought how he said since she was so wise beyond her years everything had been above board, she wasn't sure." Speaking to the character of the subject in TBD, preying upon the youth of a young woman like had been done to her years ago and knowing what a piece of **** that makes him.

And not to be all red threads all over a board connecting the dots but the lyric "if you wanna break my cold, cold heart just say 'I loved you the way that you were'" on CoSoSoM paints an even clearer picture of this because it calls into question if he preferred the more naive, younger version of her from when the flames of their romance were first stoked all those years ago and that the more fully formed version of her doesn't live up to the fantasy

The Proposals | Page 11 | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World  discussion forums

• Like 1

Just say when, I'd play again
He was my best friend down at the sandlot
I felt more when we played pretend
Than with all the Kens
'Cause he took me out of my box
Stole my tortured heart
Left all these broken parts
Told me I'm better off
But I'm not
I'm not, I'm not

:weeps:

GLp47vjXkAA8Qg9?format=jpg&name=largeGKgaatNXsAAw4lp?format=jpg&name=900x900GKNnfIwagAAc_zC?format=jpg&name=large

3 minutes ago, AnitaFalafel said:

So Long, London is the depressing conclusion to You're Losing Me, so 

• Like 2

WHERE'S THE TROPHY?

HE JUST COMES RUNNING TO OVER TO ME

GUYS

WE MADE IT.  

WE HAVE A FULL DEEP LYRICAL ALBUM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

you know how people are like "SHE WROTE THIS FOR ME!!!" and I never quite got that like I would relate and imagine my own life listening to her lyrics but mostly I just love listening to her tell a story

well... she ******* wrote The Prophecy for me like... its the first time I felt like she looked in my brain and made a song for me lmao I love it so much

100% same. 

I always felt a little sad not being able to fully relate to her lyrics bc I've never actually had a relationship or a breakup and then the Prophecy came and for the first time in my life a song has explained exactly how I feel and I am not ready to process it at all

• Like 2

This album release is such a HUGE event whether positive or negative. Midnights had nothing on this and y'all thought there was no hype. Pretty much everyone has something to say about it. 

:khalyan2:

We're so lucky to be stanning such a relevant artist that moves cultural conversations that's not just in internet bubble

I changed into goddesses, villains, and fools

Changed plans and lovers

And outfits and rules

All to outrun my desertion of you

And you just watched it

how is So High School real and not a figment of my fever dream??

she really gave us one of the best instantly nostalgic songs of all time, huh?

Sixpence None the Richer, Donna Lewis, The Cardigans and The La's are shaking

and how are people not realizing her "wrinkle in time" line is a nod to A Wrinkle in Time book many of us read as kids

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a crazy to me how she is the only artist left that everybody cares about. you either adore her or you despise her, but one thing is for sure - you have an opinion on her (and you're going to be very loud about it). 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.