Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

I wrote out album rankings yesterday and decided that my top 5 from each album is my overall top 10… just did the sorter and those exact 10 songs were my top 10. I know my taste too well. 

Spoiler
1 Clara Bow
2 I Hate It Here
3 Guilty as Sin?
4 I Look in People's Windows
5 I Can Do It With a Broken Heart
6 Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus
7 The Prophecy
8 How Did It End?
9 So Long, London
10 Fresh Out the Slammer
11 I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)
12 Peter
13 The Manuscript
14 Cassandra
15 Florida!!!
16 The Alchemy
17 Down Bad
18 The Albatross
19 loml
20 Fortnight
21 The Bolter
22 The Black Dog
23 Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?
24 So High School
25 Robin
26 The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived
27 But Daddy I Love Him
28 My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys
29 imgonnagetyouback
30 thanK you aIMee
31 The Tortured Poets Department

katy-perry-the-tortured-poets-department

• Like 1

• Replies 50.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

oh and the alien metaphor COMES BACK in the second verse when she's left "naked in a field and alone in a field of her hometown"

god this song is good

Spoiler

I don't really like the alien metaphor. 

2 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

I wrote out album rankings yesterday and decided that my top 5 from each album is my overall top 10… just did the sorter and those exact 10 songs were my top 10. I know my taste too well. 

Reveal hidden contents
1 Clara Bow
2 I Hate It Here
3 Guilty as Sin?
7 The Prophecy
8 How Did It End?
9 So Long, London
10 Fresh Out the Slammer
12 Peter
13 The Manuscript
14 Cassandra
15 Florida!!!
16 The Alchemy
17 Down Bad
18 The Albatross
19 loml
20 Fortnight
21 The Bolter
22 The Black Dog
24 So High School
25 Robin
27 But Daddy I Love Him
29 imgonnagetyouback
30 thanK you aIMee

both of us having Clara Bow at number 1 ooooh the taste the taste

:ryan3:

2 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

Reveal hidden contents
1 Clara Bow
2 I Hate It Here
3 Guilty as Sin?
7 The Prophecy
8 How Did It End?
9 So Long, London
10 Fresh Out the Slammer
12 Peter
13 The Manuscript
14 Cassandra
15 Florida!!!
16 The Alchemy
17 Down Bad
18 The Albatross
19 loml
20 Fortnight
21 The Bolter
22 The Black Dog
24 So High School
25 Robin
27 But Daddy I Love Him
29 imgonnagetyouback
30 thanK you aIMee

Clara and ICDIWABH being in your top 5 :clap3: 

You look like Taylor Swift is probably her best line ever to me

I'm convinced people claiming these lyrics are "bad" and "juvenile" don't understand sarcasm and irony like....she's making fun of herself in so many of these songs and the wordplay is way more clever than so many reviewers are noticing on initial listens. It took me a bit to "get" the alien sound (like the glittering creepy beginning and ending, OHHH) and metaphors in Down Bad, but once I did, HOLY ISH. I was like OHHHHH.

It's kind of crazy-making how critics are trying to gaslight us into thinking we have poor or limited reading comprehension  :khalyan2:

• Like 4

How Did It End. Now THAT is a Track 5.

katy-perry-the-tortured-poets-department.gif

• Like 3

1. The Black Dog

2. So Long, London

3. loml

4. Fortnight

5. Fresh Out the Slammer

Ranking so far; I Can Do It With a Broken Heart has fell a little... :jonny5:

YOU HAD STOPPED AND TILTED YOUR HEAD

I STILL PONDER WHAT IT MEANT

NOW NOW

NOW NOW

NOW NOW!!!

I TRIED SEARCHING FACES ON STREETS

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES YOU'D BE

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN

DOWNTOWN!!!

DOES IT FEEL ALRIGHT TO NOT KNOW ME

IM ADDICTED TO THE "IF ONLY"!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

can we show a little love for the super clever wordplay in the first verse of Down Bad where she experiences "cosmic love" after being beamed up by metaphorical aliens and experimented on...only to be sent DOWN back to earth. to the mundane gym. it's too good.

Oh sweetie let me get on my soap box. TLDR version @Taylor fanboy:

• Both Down Bad meanings are used simultaneously. She's Down Bad sad about it ending, BUT still Down Bad for that experience and wants it back. Emily Dickinson is shaking.
  • The alien theme is GIVING the whole song. Beam me up, sparkling dust, experiments on me, chosen one, cosmic love, etc are the obvious ones.
  • "Staring at the sky, come back and pick me up" aka she wants her UFO back.
  • "Just to leave me here naked and alone? In a field in my same old town that somehow seems so hollow now" is giving Signs crop circles.
  • "They'll say I'm nuts if I talk about the existence of you" alien conspiracy theorists
  • "hostile takeovers" is a common alien theme where they abduct you and mind control you
  • "Encounters" Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • She echos "waving at the ship" at the end aka waving goodbye to the UFO and accepting it

She ******* ate this extraterrestrial concept down. Chats and Reacts you are bones.

Edited by Walk_Away21
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

okay now I think you need to be kind of stoned or high to fully "get" this album because I'm fully hearing all kinds of subtle stuff I didn't notice before. she is a genius.

:clap3:

2 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

Clara and ICDIWABH being in your top 5 :clap3: 

You look like Taylor Swift is probably her best line ever to me

2 minutes ago, ChapelHooker said:

both of us having Clara Bow at number 1 ooooh the taste the taste

The verses of Clara were the first part of the album I memorized so I have a soft spot for it, even without the way the actual subject matter HITS. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Oh sweetie let me get on my soap box. TLDR version:

• Both Down Bad meanings are used simultaneous. She's Down Bad sad, BUT still Down Bad for that experience and wants it back.
  • The alien theme is GIVING the whole song. Beam me up, sparkling dust, experiments on me, chosen one, cosmic love, etc are the obvious ones.
  • "Staring at the sky, come back and pick me up" aka she wants her UFO back.
  • "Just to leave me here naked and alone? In a field in my same old town that somehow seems so hollow now" is giving Signs crop circles.
  • "They'll say I'm nuts if I talk about the existence of you" alien conspiracy theorists
  • "hostile takeovers"
  • "Encounters" Encounters of the Third Kind
  • She echos "waving at the ship" at the end aka waving goodbye to the UFO and accepting it

She ******* ate this extraterrestrial concept down. Chats and Reacts you are bones.

omg you are brilliant.

the way every song has SO MUCH of this stuff and why it's making me kind of MAD AT THE INTERNET that so many reviewers and critics are NOT GETTING IT.

you know how people are like "SHE WROTE THIS FOR ME!!!" and I never quite got that like I would relate and imagine my own life listening to her lyrics but mostly I just love listening to her tell a story

well... she ******* wrote The Prophecy for me like... its the first time I felt like she looked in my brain and made a song for me lmao I love it so much

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I do fear I have a new top 3 in my album rankings, it is true. :jonny5:

3 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

okay now I think you need to be kind of stoned or high to fully "get" this album because I'm fully hearing all kinds of subtle stuff I didn't notice before. she is a genius.

:clap3:

I didn't want to say it before but the album, especially Side A, fully clicked for me when I listened to it stoned for the first time

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChapelHooker said:

you know how people are like "SHE WROTE THIS FOR ME!!!" and I never quite got that like I would relate and imagine my own life listening to her lyrics but mostly I just love listening to her tell a story

well... she ******* wrote The Prophecy for me like... its the first time I felt like she looked in my brain and made a song for me lmao I love it so much

she definitely wrote Guilty as Sin, The Smallest Man and Down Bad for me :jonny5:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pinkbowvintage said:

omg you are brilliant.

the way every song has SO MUCH of this stuff and why it's making me kind of MAD AT THE INTERNET that so many reviewers and critics are NOT GETTING IT.

Guilty as Sin was my other main fathoming tonight. I mean it's kinda obvious what it's about, but the devil is in the details in these new songs. The replay value on these tracks is crazy. It's no wonder the reviewers hate it. They are too dumb to decode the songs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kyoshi said:

But it has a higher score? (not that it matters)

Aaron is now one of her elite employees for evermore

1bd3cc024a3a57ffd584297f95a674e6c91911ac

it still says 69 to me but we move

oh Hack was ENDED

1bd3cc024a3a57ffd584297f95a674e6c91911ac

Oh at Fantano not giving the album a score :deadbanana4: I'm guessing hes gonna review the Anthology too

1 minute ago, ChapelHooker said:

Yeah, I don't relate to the vast majority of her songs because I've never really done the relationship thing but her songs where she branches out tend to hit pretty hard. It was I Hate It Here for me right on first listen. That delulu I hate my life so I just go to other places in my mind. Yeah, that's my whole life. 

• Like 1

The lyric "but she's too young to know this song that was intertwined in the magic fabric of our dreaming" in The Black Dog kills me especially if you frame it against the lyric "and I'm pissed off you let me give you all that youth for free" in So Long, London. The recurring theme of time wasted / fleeting youth / nature of men and the media to replace women with the shinier new upgrade that's been interwoven into her work lately is so brutally honest. :khalyan: But then there's an even more sinister parallel of that The Black Dog lyric to the one in The Manuscript where she says "she thought how he said since she was so wise beyond her years everything had been above board, she wasn't sure." Speaking to the character of the subject in TBD, preying upon the youth of a young woman like had been done to her years ago and knowing what a piece of **** that makes him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ALA said:

Oh at Fantano not giving the album a score :deadbanana4: I'm guessing hes gonna review the Anthology too

How was the review cuz im not giving that man a view:khalyan:

imgonnagetyouback is the Dress of this album and i'm totally obsessed with it :WAP:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Guilty as Sin was my other main fathoming tonight. I mean it's kinda obvious what it's about, but the devil is in the details in these new songs. The replay value on these tracks is crazy. It's no wonder the reviewers hate it. They are too dumb to decode the songs.

When I realized she was talking about masturbating I was like....oh my.

Maybe you need to be a bit of a stoner/benzo/depressed/soft grunge/dreamcore girlie to get this album idk :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.