Taylor Swift - 'THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT'

Almodusa

1 minute ago, Dear Reader said:

Thank you to whoever reported the ranking I did! I won't take this ranking thing any further so I guess we'll end on Track 7. 

I hope you know you're miserable enough to ruin other people's fun :heart:

OT: TTPD is a Taylor Swift album that will come out in 22 days. 

NOOOOO :chick3: 

Mods take all Dear Reader's pain + WPs and give it to [REDACTED ATRL MEMBER] instead…

• Haha 4

• Replies 50.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastedpotential

• Dear Reader

• Klein

• Magickarp

My favourite number let's go :WAP:
1. So It Goes...
2. seven
3. happiness
4. The Story Of Us
5. Fresh Out The Slammer
6. Miss Americana
7. I Wish You Would
8. I Almost Do
9. Breathe
10. Question...?
11. Tied Together With A Smile

Just now, PoisonedIvy said:

NOOOOO :chick3: 

Mods take all Dear Reader's pain + WPs and give it to [REDACTED ATRL MEMBER] instead…

The fact that I know exactly who it is. Guess I'll start reporting Rep TV and numbers meltdowns too as they're not part of the music discussion. 

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

Thank you to whoever reported the ranking I did! I won't take this ranking thing any further so I guess we'll end on Track 7. 

HUH?? We're predicting where new tracks will fall in our rankings. I don't see a problem here :giraffe:

4 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

What? :biblio: Wasn't a mod literally in this thread a few days ago and said as long as the game/ranking includes TTPD it's fine? I want to say it was Oxygen, but there's far too many pages to go back and through and double check, although I'm nearly positive it was. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Klein said:

If your point is more about greediness rather than the environment then you got it all wrong. You are stanning a mainstream artist. We can say anything we want, but the main goal will always be to be making money, no matter who we're talking about. 

But that is a company vision, not the artist vision. For me its pretty clear that Billie opinion comes from her point of view, and its look tacky because its her team & company that is doing the X variants. So it's a two sided story.
And I strongly disagree. There are many artist in many different artistries that their goal is to do art for the sake of it, and not because of the money.

• Confused 1

the way everyone have seven as they're #2 :ryan3:
Btw ThE tOrTuReD pOeTs DePaRtMeNt is coming in 22 days, what a lovely thing to discuss :isudumblmao:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maroon legacy said:

Btw ThE tOrTuReD pOeTs DePaRtMeNt is coming in 22 days, what a lovely thing to discuss :isudumblmao:

Like what do they want us to talk about :bibliahh: ridiculous all round

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clauss said:

But that is a company vision, not the artist vision. For me its pretty clear that Billie opinion comes from her point of view, and its look tacky because its her team & company that is doing the X variants. So it's a two sided story.
And I strongly disagree. There are many artist in many different artistries that their goal is to do art for the sake of it, and not because of the money.

An artist can both do the art for the sake of the art, AND sell the product to get money out of it. Do you have any example of mainstream artists that are not doing the multiple variants shtick? Because everyone does it. 

If you are a mainstream artist, signed to a big label, whether you want to admit it or not the goal is to make money. If you are making money, you'll be perfectly free with your output. But in the end, you have to be bankable. That's the deal. 

Wait let me add... OT: TTPD will probably be her best album, and I can't wait to hear the different bonus song because I wanna know how they tie to their variants and the little notes on the back cover. :suburban:

Edited by Klein
  • Like 1

TTPD is an album releasing on April 19th

• Haha 9

10 minutes ago, Klein said:

An artist can both do the art for the sake of the art, AND sell the product to get money out of it. Do you have any example of mainstream artists that are not doing the multiple variants shtick? Because everyone does it. 

If you are a mainstream artist, signed to a big label, whether you want to admit it or not the goal is to make money. If you are making money, you'll be perfectly free with your output. But in the end, you have to be bankable. That's the deal. 

Yes for sure they can do both. It became a regular in the business as industry understood is an another way to make more profit in an easy way, as its literally the same thing.
But do we have any other artist pushing their fans to get their variants with the same energy that Taylor (&team) does? We have this since Lover's diaries, midnights clock, 1989 film **** thing, etc. That's why it's different from Billie situation. It's clear that she is not ok with it, while I can not say the same for Taylor, I strongly believe she actually pushes it.
Does Taylor need to show how much bankable she is? Does she needs more sales? Does the worlds needs more CDs? more vinyls? of the same "virtual" object? with virtual saying music which in theory is not tangible

Edited by Clauss
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, MidnightsAtPeace said:

I have a very controversial confession to make, and it's that I will not be listening to any of the deluxe tracks until at least a week later because the album is most likely going to overwhelm me in a good way and I need time to fully digest it before I listen to four new songs.

I also didn't listen to Hits Different until 3 months later, and it helped me appreciate it even more once I listened to it for the first time and then it became one of my favorite songs in her discography.

spacer.png

I didn't touch evermore for a good 6 or so months after it came out. I was still trying to digest folklore :rip:

Ok, now let's rank reputation's embarrassments then:

1. 12 weeks in the top 10 vs her other pop albums that spent 58+ weeks in the top 10

2. 9 total weeks in the hot 100's top ten vs her other pop albums that have a song spend 24+ weeks in the top 10

3. Biggest radio hit failed to outpeak Vigilante ****, If This Was A Movie and Jump Then Fall

4. Gorgeous

5. Her worst closer ever

6. Her only pop album that didn't make the year-end top 10 multiple times

7. Her only pop album with no year-end top 20 single

8. Longest charting song couldn't outchart Our Song

9. Her only pop album with no GF Grammy nomination

10. Her lowest metacritic score aside from Mixtape

:ryan3:

• Haha 14

I wasn't a fan of the track names at first but they look a lot better on spotify 

AapruyF.thumb.gif.248e0100a4a6eb3c6adbbc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, By the Water said:

Ok, now let's rank reputation's embarrassments then:

1. 12 weeks in the top 10 vs her other pop albums that spent 58+ weeks in the top 10

2. 9 total weeks in the hot 100's top ten vs her other pop albums that have a song spend 24+ weeks in the top 10

3. Biggest radio hit failed to outpeak Vigilante ****, If This Was A Movie and Jump Then Fall

4. Gorgeous

5. Her worst closer ever

6. Her only pop album that didn't make the year-end top 10 multiple times

7. Her only pop album with no year-end top 20 single

8. Longest charting song couldn't outchart Our Song

9. Her only pop album with no GF Grammy nomination

10. Her lowest metacritic score aside from Mixtape

:ryan3:

I love your style. Just get ready for the warning point. :ryan3:

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Clauss said:

Yes for sure they can do both. It became a regular in the business as industry understood is an another way to make more profit in an easy way, as its literally the same thing.
But do we have any other artist pushing their fans to get their variants with the same energy that Taylor (&team) does? We have this since Lover's diaries, midnights clock, 1989 film **** thing, etc. That's why it's different from Billie situation. It's clear that she is not ok with it, while I can not say the same for Taylor, I strongly believe she actually pushes it.
Does Taylor need to show how much bankable she is? Does she needs more sales? Does the worlds needs more CDs? more vinyls? 

I guess you completely missed the point because you just want to be angry for the sake of being angry. May I redirect you to Swiftie neutral? That might be a better place for you. 

Meanwhile let me correct you, but she's been doing this at the very least since the 1989 era with the polaroids, and then Rep with the magazines. Hope that helps for you to make your rant over there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, BloodLuster said:

I wasn't a fan of the track names at first but they look a lot better on spotify 

loml sticks out like a sore thumb when I look at the tracklist on Spotify 

Just now, Klein said:

I guess you completely missed the point because you just want to be angry for the sake of being angry. May I redirect you to Swiftie neutral? That might be a better place for you. 

Meanwhile let me correct you, but she's been doing this at the very least since the 1989 era with the polaroids, and then Rep with the magazines. Hope that helps for you to make your rant over there. 

I am aware of these versions, but they were not pushed to our faces as the ones I mentioned. 
And no, I am not angry. I am disappointed to what industry has turned/become, how Taylor is a leader in these actions for the US/Globlal market (as these was a common tactic in Korea), how some fans strongly feel the need to buy them all to validate them selves as real fans, and how some strongly defend this quite weird situation.

• Thumbs Down 2

I eagerly anticipate the release of The Tortured Poets Department in just over three weeks time! 

Spoiler

If any of you **** ass ******* reports me when I put my ranking in a ******* spoiler just know that I will be wishing terrible things for you. Any mod who gives me points for this innocuous post will get their Karma.mp3 :ryan3:

Anyway, that being said

1. I Almost Do

2. Fresh Out The Slammer [NEW]

3. Breathe

4. happiness

5. The Story Of Us

6. I Wish You Would

7. seven (couldn't help myself lol lets call this the actual #4 and shift everything else down 1 slot)

8. Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince

9. Tied Together With A Smile

10. Question...?

11. So It Goes...

Spoiler

Finally a track number where I'm actually super super excited for the TTPD track because I think it has the chance to easily displace my current #1. Fresh Out The Slammer, as a title, is giving me diamond single with billions of streams and excellent chart longevity (not that that's the most important thing, but I love to see TayHitmaker win, and FOTS is really making me think it's going to deliver for TayHitmaker).

Wow, her track 7s are comparatively quite weak. I put I Always Stream on top because I love the narrative and some of the plucked guitar moments are amazing, but it's probably her weakest best track number. Bibleathe pioneered the core tenet of Swiftism in which Taylor credits a female vocalist but makes it impossible to hear her. Dare I say this is her best implementation of that strategy, and Breathe is another example of Fearless being one of Taylor's strongest albums for melodies and bridges. I did knock this a spot because of the Emily Poe rumors. hapPeniss is a very cute girl when I'm in the mood, and Lord did clock Abigail's divorce tea here so it's an interesting listen to crack open and interpret, but I'm not often in the mood, and it's a 5 minute obstacle to some of the best songs on evermore so I'm afraid that I do skip it more than almost any other song on the album (but, because it's on evermore, it's still a solid 9.5/10). The Story of Christ really had Taylor in her Disney pop rock era, and she beat all of the other girls at their own game. I love the literature themed spoken bits and I looooooove the music video (Taylor's single most underrated video, if you ask me, she was doing Dark Academiacore years before it was a thing), but this was a tank of a single (the GP said no, and I do respect their opinion), and I've aged hard out of Disney pop rock in the past decade and a half, so I rarely return to this (especially when there are other, better pop rock songs on the album, if you catch what I mean :ryan3:). I Wish You Would Turn It Up is such a weirdly structured song (it gets through the first 2 verses and 2 choruses in like 90 seconds and then spends the rest of the song doing the chorus over and over again and then mixes the bridge into it - it's quite thrilling to listen to), but Ryan Tedder made an inspired choice and picked an excellent guitar tone to form the song around. sevenrely underrated should sit between Breathe and happiness on this list but my ass loves to have a kii so it ended up here. One of the weaker numbers on folklore, but it really occupies such a unique place in her sonic palette. I think it's the closest to folk that she came on folklore and it's criminally underrated because of its track placement next to the most overrated song in the ******* fandom, but that's a topic for the next episode of rankings. Miss Americana And The Mediocre Song is overwritten and the tortured high school metaphor is not giving what Taylor really thinks it gives, but it works nicely as a tour opener and there are a few lines that are incredibly sharp. Joel Little's ****-stained fingerprints here are still unmistakeable, but this is by far the best song he worked on with Taylor... I yearn for the alternate reality where she took this idea to Jack and he corralled some of her more awkward lyrical tendencies, but I digress. Tied Together Without A Stream was a very earnest attempt from Taylor to tackle a very serious subject (which would hold great personal relevance to her), but given that she was 15 and her perspective, I fear that it didn't land quite like I would imagine a Taylor song from 2024 about the same topic to. In that context, the melodies and instrumentation choices are very middle-of-the-road (read: filler) for Debut, so I'm not sure if the Celine's Version will change much of my opinion, we'll just have to see. Queef...? had several cute moments but the whole is far, far inferior to the sum of its parts. I love the Opus Of The Woods vocal sample, and it did provide more lore into the Haylor saga, but some of the final choices were incomprehensible to me. I actually really dislike the lyrics in the chorus because why the **** would all the famous people at this random party be laughing and then clapping for her and Harry kissing? Make it make sense. 

Finally, So It Blows... is one of the dreariest songs in Lord's discography. There are literally only three reasons to listen - 'scratches down your back now', 'I'm not a bad girl but I do bad things with you' and the whispered counting, but those concepts were all better executed on Gowns. After the HIGH of Look, So It Blows is such a downer, and I've always hated it just for that. Whoever told her that the autotune was a good idea needs to be decapitated, because it's such a sin against the goodness of humanity. The chorus is formless and concept-less, and is honestly repulsive to listen to (I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE some of her enunciation in the chorus, it's really giving girl who just got her wisdom teeth extracted and is still on heavy local anesthetics. Also, "magician" and "illusionist" are awful pieces of imagery I'm sorry, it makes me think of a fat, bald guy with a box he's going to saw in half, which is about as un-sexy as something gets. 

Spoiler

Nnnnn @Dear Reader I was going to make a comment about how uninspiring I found track 7s to be and how I'd promised to deliver thousand word essays but clearly this was a letdown, and then I checked and this is over nine hundred, so... :ryan3:

Anyway, I have a feeling track 8s will get a lot out of me tomorrow if it's still happening :ryan3:

Spoiler

also, PM me who you think is doing the reporting, I have my own thoughts but I know you've clocked the tea nnnnn, and I need to know who to curse when I go to Church on Easter :ryan3:

Edited by wastedpotential
  • Haha 6

@wastedpotential I get such a kii out of you sis (as if my reactions don't reflect that). Your evisceration of So It Goes — a song I actually like — gave me LIFE

OT: The Tortured Poets Department is an upcoming album by singer/songwriter Taylor Swift expected on April 19, 2024

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

I eagerly anticipate the release of The Tortured Poets Department in just over three weeks time! 

Hide contents

If any of you **** ass ******* reports me when I put my ranking in a ******* spoiler just know that I will be wishing terrible things for you. Any mod who gives me points for this innocuous post will get their Karma.mp3 :ryan3:

Anyway, that being said

1. I Almost Do

2. Fresh Out The Slammer [NEW]

3. Breathe

4. happiness

5. The Story Of Us

6. I Wish You Would

7. seven (couldn't help myself lol lets call this the actual #4 and shift everything else down 1 slot)

8. Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince

9. Tied Together With A Smile

10. Question...?

11. So It Goes...

Hide contents

Finally a track number where I'm actually super super excited for the TTPD track because I think it has the chance to easily displace my current #1. Fresh Out The Slammer, as a title, is giving me diamond single with billions of streams and excellent chart longevity (not that that's the most important thing, but I love to see TayHitmaker win, and FOTS is really making me think it's going to deliver for TayHitmaker).

Wow, her track 7s are comparatively quite weak. I put I Always Stream on top because I love the narrative and some of the plucked guitar moments are amazing, but it's probably her weakest best track number. Bibleathe pioneered the core tenet of Swiftism in which Taylor credits a female vocalist but makes it impossible to hear her. Dare I say this is her best implementation of that strategy, and Breathe is another example of Fearless being one of Taylor's strongest albums for melodies and bridges. I did knock this a spot because of the Emily Poe rumors. hapPeniss is a very cute girl when I'm in the mood, and Lord did clock Abigail's divorce tea here so it's an interesting listen to crack open and interpret, but I'm not often in the mood, and it's a 5 minute obstacle to some of the best songs on evermore so I'm afraid that I do skip it more than almost any other song on the album (but, because it's on evermore, it's still a solid 9.5/10). The Story of Christ really had Taylor in her Disney pop rock era, and she beat all of the other girls at their own game. I love the literature themed spoken bits and I looooooove the music video (Taylor's single most underrated video, if you ask me, she was doing Dark Academiacore years before it was a thing), but this was a tank of a single (the GP said no, and I do respect their opinion), and I've aged hard out of Disney pop rock in the past decade and a half, so I rarely return to this (especially when there are other, better pop rock songs on the album, if you catch what I mean :ryan3:). I Wish You Would Turn It Up is such a weirdly structured song (it gets through the first 2 verses and 2 choruses in like 90 seconds and then spends the rest of the song doing the chorus over and over again and then mixes the bridge into it - it's quite thrilling to listen to), but Ryan Tedder made an inspired choice and picked an excellent guitar tone to form the song around. sevenrely underrated should sit between Breathe and happiness on this list but my ass loves to have a kii so it ended up here. One of the weaker numbers on folklore, but it really occupies such a unique place in her sonic palette. I think it's the closest to folk that she came on folklore and it's criminally underrated because of its track placement next to the most overrated song in the ******* fandom, but that's a topic for the next episode of rankings. Miss Americana And The Mediocre Song is overwritten and the tortured high school metaphor is not giving what Taylor really thinks it gives, but it works nicely as a tour opener and there are a few lines that are incredibly sharp. Joel Little's ****-stained fingerprints here are still unmistakeable, but this is by far the best song he worked on with Taylor... I yearn for the alternate reality where she took this idea to Jack and he corralled some of her more awkward lyrical tendencies, but I digress. Tied Together Without A Stream was a very earnest attempt from Taylor to tackle a very serious subject (which would hold great personal relevance to her), but given that she was 15 and her perspective, I fear that it didn't land quite like I would imagine a Taylor song from 2024 about the same topic to. In that context, the melodies and instrumentation choices are very middle-of-the-road (read: filler) for Debut, so I'm not sure if the Celine's Version will change much of my opinion, we'll just have to see. Queef...? had several cute moments but the whole is far, far inferior to the sum of its parts. I love the Opus Of The Woods vocal sample, and it did provide more lore into the Haylor saga, but some of the final choices were incomprehensible to me. I actually really dislike the lyrics in the chorus because why the **** would all the famous people at this random party be laughing and then clapping for her and Harry kissing? Make it make sense. 

Finally, So It Blows... is one of the dreariest songs in Lord's discography. There are literally only three reasons to listen - 'scratches down your back now', 'I'm not a bad girl but I do bad things with you' and the whispered counting, but those concepts were all better executed on Gowns. After the HIGH of Look, So It Blows is such a downer, and I've always hated it just for that. Whoever told her that the autotune was a good idea needs to be decapitated, because it's such a sin against the goodness of humanity. The chorus is formless and concept-less, and is honestly repulsive to listen to (I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE some of her enunciation in the chorus, it's really giving girl who just got her wisdom teeth extracted and is still on heavy local anesthetics. Also, "magician" and "illusionist" are awful pieces of imagery I'm sorry, it makes me think of a fat, bald guy with a box he's going to saw in half, which is about as un-sexy as something gets. 

Hide contents

Nnnnn @Dear Reader I was going to make a comment about how uninspiring I found track 7s to be and how I'd promised to deliver thousand word essays but clearly this was a letdown, and then I checked and this is over nine hundred, so... :ryan3:

Anyway, I have a feeling track 8s will get a lot out of me tomorrow if it's still happening :ryan3:

Hide contents

also, PM me who you think is doing the reporting, I have my own thoughts but I know you've clocked the tea nnnnn, and I need to know who to curse when I go to Church on Easter :ryan3:

Truly the post that kept on posting

:clack:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Clauss said:

I am aware of these versions, but they were not pushed to our faces as the ones I mentioned. 
And no, I am not angry. I am disappointed to what industry has turned/become, how Taylor is a leader in these actions for the US/Globlal market (as these was a common tactic in Korea), how some fans strongly feel the need to buy them all to validate them selves as real fans, and how some strongly defend this quite weird situation.

The music industry? It's just doing what everyone else is doing these days. People have more cash in their pockets and they're throwing it around on stuff they probably don't even need. It's not just music. The whole entertainment, travel, fashion, footwear, automotive, and dining industries are booming. People have more money to spend than ever before, thanks to their (grand)parents paving the way. So, if someone decides to drop their paycheck on a full collection of Taylor Swift music instead of a fancier car or another vacation, who are we to judge? Most people on a tight budget are wise enough to spend their money on the stuff they truly need.

• Like 2

I will gladly take this WP in solidarity with y'all :ryan3:

1. I Almost Do (!!! one of her most underrated tracks)

2. The Story of Us

3. So It Goes…

4. happiness

5. I Wish You Would

6. Fresh Out The Slammer

7. seven 

8. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince

9. Question…?

10. Breathe 

11. Tied Together With a Smile

Overall this is the weakest set of tracks so far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clauss said:

Billie's shady attitude bothers me too, but honestly, who gives a damn what she says in 2024? Now irrelevant outside of her fan base, WIWMF was a hit because it was a staple song on the Barbie soundtrack... No one will ever know what the cheap Lana Del Rey/ Lorde said

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

loml sticks out like a sore thumb when I look at the tracklist on Spotify 

It will be the Dorothea of the album 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.