new Stereogum article: it's impossible to imagine Billie and Halsey without Lorde

Kayseri Mantisi

Stereogum published an article about "Royals" and Lorde's impact, rating it a 10/10. :heart: It's a part of their column covering number ones and goes into a further discussion about the song, its meaning and its impact — as well as talking a little bit about Lorde.

Looks like it's a big hit too since it received over 400 comments on the website itself :eek:

"In the years after "Royals,” record labels rushed to sign their own versions of Lorde. You could hear her influence in something as minor as the whispery vocals that a full-on mainstream pop star like Selena Gomez adapted. (Gomez, who covered "Royals" on her 2013 tour, will eventually appear in this column.) Shy and talented kids like Alessia Cara and Khalid seemed like transparent attempts to manufacture newer, more obvious versions of Lorde. It's frankly impossible to imagine Halsey and Billie Eilish, two acts that this column will cover, existing without Lorde's example. The shift wasn't immediate, but the pop center moved away from the big-and-bold Katy Perry types. You could argue that the center ceased to exist entirely, but we'll get more into that whole saga in the days ahead.”

https://www.stereogum.com/2258734/the-number-ones-lordes-royals/columns/the-number-ones/

Thoughts? :celestial5:

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

well duh

• Thanks 2

So true Stereogum

• Thanks 1

Cameltoe Chariot

Um... it's incredibly easy to imagine them without Lorde.

Billie runs circles around the New Zealander. Has since day one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

yes, cause without Lorde Halsey would've never collabed with the Chainsmokers on the most generic pop song in existence 

• Haha 4

Are y'all being purposefully obtuse, Royals done for the 2010s and recession what Smells Like Teen Spirit did for the 1990s and hair metal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

we been knew.

thanks stereogum for being the real one

• Thanks 1

Cameltoe Chariot
3 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Are y'all being purposefully obtuse, Royals done for the 2010s and recession what Smells Like Teen Spirit did for the 1990s and hair metal.

um

4 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Smells Like Teen Spirit did for the 1990s and hair metal.

Screenshot-2024-04-16-at-10-58-31-AM.png

nevermind :celestial5:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

:rip: Who even thinks about that song? Video Games (2011) is the new SLTS (1991) and they are all Lana's sons anyways

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

take look

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had Avril and Michelle Branch in 2000s so no Lorde was not needed for Billie and Halsey 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Cameltoe Chariot
8 minutes ago, naval23 said:

We had Avril and Michelle Branch in 2000s so no Lorde was not needed for Billie and Halsey 

GREAT point actually! Avril and Michelle are muuuuch bigger influences on this new generation of talent. Especially with Billie.

oh lorde

• Thanks 2

Machete

Billie and Lorde have zero similarities besides being young singers. Sonically Billie is FARR more Lana adjacent. If anyone gives Lorde, it is Olivia on SOUR (DL is straight up Lorde cosplay).

Edited by Machete
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, naval23 said:

not avril with her cringey pseudo pop punk 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Machete said:

Billie and Lorde have zero similarities besides being young singers.

not when billie's first album reeks of lordes influence 

• Thanks 1

I mean Royals obviously had its impact on music but I don't see anything Lorde on Billie. :rip: If anything Royals impacted Taylor Swift, Lykke Li and other artists who had their more "minimalistic pop" moments

• Thanks 2

As most things in the music industry, I think everything influences everybody.

I do think Billie/Halsey were either influenced or their labels were interested in signing them due to Royals blowing up. But at the same time I feel like Royals blew up both because of the sound (Lana's Video Games had already started changing the it sound of alternative music) plus the relatability of the lyrics (seeing how both Adele and Taylor kept blowing up at the time were their main thing was this relatability).

Lana walked so Lorde could run. Born To Die definetly set the stage, but I mean, one of it's most succesful singles was a EDM remix. Royals was the one who ended recession pop for good and proved how alternative could become mainstream. We could argue how much of the alternative pop's artists are influenced by the early 2000s, but Lana's and Lorde's influence are undeniable.

48 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

um

nevermind :celestial5:

Did I lie? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Peanutbutter said:

I mean Royals obviously had its impact on music but I don't see anything Lorde on Billie.

Not anything?

Billie is carving her own lane, she's not a Lorde copy. But some of her stuff sounds like she's trying to push the sound of Lorde's debut even further into alternative without losing its mainstream appeal.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Machete
21 minutes ago, Kimi said:

not when billie's first album reeks of lordes influence 

Fall Asleep is the absolute opposite of the minimalist pop Lorde brought in :rip: It's literally bouncy production heavy songs or pure piano ballads which Lorde has never done. 

• Like 2

Billie is definitely rooted more in Lana influence than Lorde. The two couldn't sound any further apart from each other. Also Halsey is probably Lana's direct copycat :rip:

I'll give Lorde her 10s though because Royals definitely had its impact, but out of the new girls only Olivia has blatantly ripped off that Lorde sound, specifically in her harmonies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.