If the pandemic didn't happen, would Folklore still exist?

Virgos Groove

?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes. Taylor knew she had to serve ART after Loser.
    • She still would've released in 2020, but it would've been a pop album.
    • No.

Obviously, we know she recorded the album during lockdown, but I've always gotten the hunch she would've released it even if Covid never hapenned.

After ME!th and YNTCD failed to set the charts on fire, there was a silent-but-real demand for Taylor to strip it back and serve a record focused on her songwriting. I feel like Taylor herself knew that and - I mean this in the most tasteful way possible - the pandemic gave her the opportunity to record it.

Had Covid not hapenned and she had gone on the Lover Fest, I can see her dropping a Folklore-style record anyways, but with the narrative being that she was inspired by tour life.

What do y'all think?

baboon-newspaper.gif

Edited by Virgos Groove

No, folklore needed the pandemic and the pandemic needed folklore. It was a perfect moment in time

• Like 1

No.

No but I think there would've still been a shift in her sound to some extent as she entered her 30s (hard for any woman in the industry) and reflected on how well the pure pop sound served her in the Lover era 

the pandemic happened bcs she released LOSER

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

No but Maybe we would have a similar album in 2021-2022 after lover..

She obviously had the idea of what she had to do after Lover.

Im almost sure she would not have the same level of re-peak or success she has now if it wasn't for the pandemic tho

Things had to align in a specific way for her to reach new heights 

Yes. Pandemic or not, she would've still put out Grammy bait 'artsy' music to course correct after she was super upset that Rep and Lover got snubbed from the general fields. 

People hate on Lover far too much…

• Like 1

I'm sure she knew that she needed to step up after how panned Lover was

No, and she will release Cruel Summer and be no. 1 

Well, my tears ricochet had already been written and maybe some other Jack songs as well. But I'm sure it would've been an entirely different album and Aaron might not have been included at all.

Maybe as part of another project, or something she would have eventually done anyway. I think most of Midnights was ready and done before the pandemic even started so it would have come out sooner.

Edited by Illuminati

I don't think so

I think there's a chance she would've released something similtar to Folklore. Other popstars (like Madonna, Gaga and Miley) have gone back to more acoustic music when they realized they needed to reconnect with middle America. Maybe the album would've had a couple of more upbeat songs to try to pander to radio, so I think it's perfect that it was released during the pandemic so her artistic vision wasn't tainted by such factors.

No. She would be pushing more bubblegum pop but social distancing forced her to be introspective and gave us folklore which we will always love

No. She would have been on tour for Loverfest. 

My guess is that The Man has a better radio run, but still fails to reach the Top 10. Taylor releases Cruel Summer as the 5th single in June 2020. She releases an album in December 2020, either folklore or evermore, but not both.

Nope. Maybe some songs would exist but folklore would have never happened. 

no but she would make an album with this sound years later

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.