Bad Girls vs. Private Dancer

Virgos Groove

Better "lady of the night" era?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Better ALBUM?

2. 2. Better SINGLES?

• Bad Girls (Hot Stuff, Bad Girls, Dim All the Lights, Sunset People, Our Love, Walk Away)
    • Private Dancer (Let's Stay Together, Help!, WLGTDWI, Better Be Good to Me, Private Dancer, I Can't Stand the Rain, Show Some Respect)
  3. 3. Better SMASH hit?

• Hot Stuff
    • What's Love Got to Do With It?

ab67616d0000b2730c3a44d76807bef665eacfa3ab67616d0000b2735e1cfb14aada0b48b3282dc4

Two albums about a "lady of the night" that defined their respective decades. But which is better?

FYQRlX2.gif

Bad Girls is one of the absolute best pop albums ever (male or female) so that one clears.

• Thanks 4

Hot Stuff is slightly better than WLGTDWI i will admit but Tina sweepsssss the other categories. It had some great singles beside its smash and the album quality is top tier of the 80s. i mean PD, Better be good to me, lets stay together and her cover of Help!- aka my personal fave Tina song- is quite a run. 

WLGTDWI was a bigger hit, but I stan Donna a bit more than Tina. Bad Girls is a very solid album. I was just thinking it's been a while since I listened to it.

Walk Away + Our Love >>>

"Bad Girls" (the album) transformed so many people's lives and was on the cutting edge of the technological zeitgeist in the moment it was released.

It is a flawless body of work without a single skip, indelibly moved an entire genre of music forward and It took until the 1990s for many others to even understand how to replicate the production of its final three tracks.

The production on those final three tracks are the defining pivotal and timeless moment where Disco passed its baton to modern Dance music and the DNA of the later was revealed.

There is no other rival or comparable body of work with which "Bad Girls" shares this accomplishment in context of its lineage. It is one of a kind.

It was brave of Tina as a woman of color to embrace the Rock genre. I know she faced a lot of resistance to that not only from within her own label but also from U.S. radio programmers.

However unlike with "Bad Girls" there was nothing cutting edge or evolutionary about the actual music itself and unlike "Bad Girls" (which changed the life of so many), "Private Dancer" only changed Tina's.

A valid parallel can be drawn with Tina switching from Rn'B to Rock back in the day and Beyoncé switching from Rn'B/ HipHop to Country now.  This does clarify that Tina was the architect of so fearlessly and bravely making this leap and having the temerity to fight against accepted record industry norms based on color and perceived identity.

It would be remiss of me to not mention Whitney Houston here as she received a backlash from then contemporary musicians of color at the 1989 "Soul Train Awards" which prompted her to switch from 'Pop' and embrace Rn'B. So it is important to remember that chapter came in the middle between Tina and Beyoncé.

However unlike Tina and Beyoncé who switched lanes for artistic reasons, Whitney had change forced upon her for commercial ones which does not have quite the same level of kudos.

Before you all come for me regarding Beyoncé's "Renaissance" album, I am aware that some perceive it to be a moment in time in which Beyoncé wholly embraced the dance genre. Some would have us believe it is a House album (I do not prescribe to this belief).

• Thanks 2

Our Love -> Lucky -> Sunset People alone is more interesting than anything I heard from Tina.

Tina is one of those legends that for some reason I know most of her hits but I was never interested enough to check out her discography. I guess her music is not for me. Donna on the other hand is one of my faves.

Edited by AdrianNicki
  • Like 1

When ideas are 'borrowed' and recycled from one of your old Album tracks, only to be used on someone else's Single - 29 years after the fact, you know your influence is significant.

"Our Love" [1979]

"The One" [2008]

Edited by Dante Silva
  • Thanks 1

Bad girls is that girl.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.