should mariah embrace the changes in her vocal ability & make songs with it in mind?

Monday Night Messiah

The last two songs Mariah released makes it clear that her voice has changed drastically since her last album, Caution.

It's richer, deeper, more textured/raspy.

I think the way forward for her is to just embrace this new voice of her and make songs that take advantage of it. For live shows, she can just rearrange her older hits or choose ones that are less vocally-demanding.

Feels like this is the real reason she hasn't released anything since 2018 despite promising several times that she's in the studio.

Do you agree? Should she serve new material with this voice?

Edited by Monday Night Messiah

I think this needs to be the case with all artists. Whenever Madonna has her voice tweaked to sound like it's 1983, I cringe. Her deeper tone is fantastic.

I've been saying this for a while. Her mid range actually still sounds quite full, but she  sounds strained and tense trying to recreate her old girly tone and 5th octave notes. 

She should be singing with her new full, soulful tone and staying in the 2nd-4th octaves in chest voice. 

• Like 4

She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If she records more in the style of what her current voice is, then people will say they "miss the old Mariah". Whereas, if she tries to recreate her former voice, people will say she "doesn't sound like she used to". It will be a no win situation, unfortunately. I will take whatever she gives us but hopefully she will give us a new album soon.

• Like 1

yes. 

Bey's lead vocals are all also considerably lower nowadays and she sounds fantastic. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, schnetzka said:

She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If she records more in the style of what her current voice is, then people will say they "miss the old Mariah". Whereas, if she tries to recreate her former voice, people will say she "doesn't sound like she used to". It will be a no win situation, unfortunately. I will take whatever she gives us but hopefully she will give us a new album soon.

If she records more in the style of what her current voice is, then people will say they "miss the old Mariah"

This is obviously a win.

EVOLVE >>>

She already had that raspier tone in Caution and she adapted to her new vocal ability pretty well by singing in her mid range for the most part. The only song where you really hear the changes in her tone is Portrait as she tries to belt/go into higher range in that song

Of course, I don't know why she's not doing it much

Yes. I wouldn't mind the change for the better :clap3:

The fans would love it but to the GP she's definitely remember for the vocal acrobatics. Which are very hard to sustain even for professional opera singers in their '50s (well except for queens Renée Fleming and Leontyne Price, let's be real).

It's a tough call.

Yes. At the end of the day, the health of her vocal cords are more important than people missing the old Mariah :michael:

Her current voice doesn't suit her old discography at all, which is the hardest discography ever. Her songs have rollercoaster moments within a finger's snap, and her nodules are preventing her from attempting them.

I don't know. Maybe she should get surgery.

Nevermind, she should rearrange her songs.

17 minutes ago, Mandalay said:

Her current voice doesn't suit her old discography at all, which is the hardest discography ever. Her songs have rollercoaster moments within a finger's snap, and her nodules are preventing her from attempting them.

I don't know. Maybe she should get surgery.

Nevermind, she should rearrange her songs.

Well, she'll never have a discography that would suit her current voice if she's not making them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.