🐎 ATRL's Song Contest 🐎 Round 21: The Perfect Meal (pg.668)

thecptz

Smooth - D'Angelo is a sexy man, but not sure if I'm really into this particular song.Β 

• Replies 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Kelp

• Seffers

• gardendreams

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking About You - Not normally an 80s track person but Whitney's vocals really carry this and elevate it in a way that most other artists from that decade can't. Only her and Janet can really pull it off. So yes, a standout of the round and good ending to the round!

Prelude
This playlist is long as hell (95 minutes? Really?) and full of songs I just know I'm not going to enjoy, so sorry to say but no graphics this week. I felt like the Spotify theme was a little off-brand for these golden oldies anyways, and tried to come up with another concept but I honestly just didn't want to spend that much effort on this round ijbol.

Β 

So instead you will each be associated with a grandma.

Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong - Dream A Little Dream Of Me
Well I know this song of course. It's the kind of song I'd play to put my boby to sleep. There's nothing particularly bad about the song of course, it's just a 3-minute yawn. My parents listen to jazz music as background music these days, that's the kind of vibe. Could have done without the gravelly old man voice too.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Agnes
5ef2b2d4cbab97587e5fb943406b0a4a.jpg

Vanessa Williams - The Comfort Zone
Ooh, I know this lady from Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives. I bet some of you just shuddered reading that, but I don't care. This sounds like the kind of song I'd normally say is fine but not really my thing, but since this entire round is not really my thing, this might do well with me. Cute, dragged on a bit tho.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Evelyn
slater-1.jpg?width=1200

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Song From The Edge Of The World
This was fine, I guess. I'm gonna get sick of saying "just not really for me," but I feel this applies a little more than the last two songs. I can enjoy jazz for what it is, I can enjoy 90's pop music for what it is, but I'm not even really into modern rock saur… I don't think this is getting my points, sorry.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Henrietta
img_3332.jpg

Brandy - Sunny Day
Cute I guess. I've heard better old school R&B I think. This kinda did nothing for me honestly. At least the last three songs made me feel something, this was just a flatline. Very monotonous. Yeah that's all I got sorry.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Gertrude
old-woman-yawning-home-53394378.jpg

• Haha 1

Aaliyah - Choosey Lover (Old School / New School)
Seven minutes oh there's a special place in hell for you miss ma'am. I skipped forward like 30 seconds at a time and it just sounded the same throughout like… what is with the monotonous production in this era… the second portion was nice. There's a much shorter version of this song that exists that combines these two styles better in another universe that would be half decent. Sorry it's not this one.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Penelope
portrait-sleepy-old-woman-yawning-260nw-1754765588.jpg

Sade - Cherish the Day
Wait, this wasn't bad. Not bad at all. This felt very lush, and the simplicity and minimalism honestly made it sound almost… modern? I didn't even mind that it was a bit on the longer side. You kinda ate a lil bit miss thing. I really liked this.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Ann
old-black-woman-portrait-lady-600nw-132006122.jpg

Shania Twain - I'm Holdin' On To Love (To Save My Life)
Is this like the only song from this album that wasn't a single? Or maybe it was a single, just a flop one. Chile, anyways. Not a country fan, not a Shania fan after those comments regarding a certain US politician, and this song was just not iT in general sorray to say.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Nancy
hxdZR2fjK6XC_640x360.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Shola Ama - Deepest Hurt
Okay, okay. Okay? Okay! I'm kind of vibing with this one. I like the instrumentation that's going on here, Shola's voice is very nice, and it's very fun and pop-leaning despite obviously being R&B. I liked this enough that I imagine you'll be getting some points this round.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Irene
happy-and-funny-cool-old-lady-with-fashionable-clothes-portrait-on-colored-background-youthful-grandmother-with-extravagant-style-concepts-about-li-2HKM046.jpg

Garbage - Temptation Waits
Not this literally having 2018 remaster in the song title… is it crack? Maybe they should do a 2024 remaster because the mixing on this song still sounds absolutely horrendous. Never seen a more apt band name. Utter garbage. No.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Cora
maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

Toni Braxton - Talking In His Sleep
This lady is just speaking… ma'am this is a SONG not a soliloquy. I feel like I'm talking in my sleep rn because this song about to send my ass to sleep. Snooooooooooze.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Edith
old-woman-sleeping-recliner-footage-1117

• Haha 1

Cocteau Twins, Harold Budd - Sea, Swallow Me
Girl speak UP I can barely hear you. This was kind of different from anything else so far but idk if that's a good different… it didn't exactly put me to sleep but it was still kind of dreamy I guess. Not really my thing (9). At least it was one of the shorter songs here.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Florence
portrait-happy-old-woman-25340999.jpg

Monica - 'Cross The Room
The vocals? Help… well if the last song was trying to lull me into a slumber, this one certainly woke me up… but not in a good way. This was honestly horrid, so I took the time to listen to "The Boy is Mine" instead since I actually haven't heard the OG before. Why is the intro lowkey giving PC Music?! Now THIS is a song I could get behind. Shame you didn't find something more akin to this.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Edna
image.jpg

• Haha 1

Cocteau Twins - Pitch the Baby
Oh so this lady does have an issue with speaking up on her songs… ma'am I can barely make out what you are saying. This was a lot less lullaby-ish than the other song from them, but as a result I kind of found it more annoying? I don't know. Again, not really my thing (11), but at least it was one of the shorter songs here. The outro specifically irritated me a lot.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Petunia
360_F_56140454_q4nbUmTCcC1ovIJrOL1SxJuaYXwvSz68.jpg

Jhelisa, Sunship - Friendly Pressure (Into The Sunshine Edit)
Idk what the original version of this sounded like and tbh I don't really care, normally remixes like this annoy the absolute hell out of me, but fortunately this was fun and bouncy enough to stand out (in a good way) this round. I still found it annoying, but I liked it more than the majority of what I've heard thus far.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Sue
360_F_574742607_WIrecVMZmLuNupTUcAx2a2DoZv2EoHel.jpg

Shakira - Si Te Vas
I've never listened to anything of Shakira's that hasn't been in English I don't think, unless you count Waka Waka. This kinda sounds like if Shakira was singing a Shania Twain song? Ijbol. It's definitely not for me. I was kinda hoping to like this, and probably would if this was more of a latin pop song. Oh well.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Maria
360_F_536065999_0FYMyKPeQhaULMxDsvYmKvIApHhQDimm.jpg

Snoop Dogg - Murder Was The Case
I'm crying because this is such a great submission. This stands out in such a clever way. You knew this playlist would be littered with R&B leftovers with a few alternative/indie/jazz standards thrown in and went with a hip hop icon. The song itself was… honestly a bit grating at times, it literally sounded like there was a dentist's drill at one point, but I stanned "*****, I'm Madonna" so… lemme just say you ate.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Lil Granz (Sylvia)
ff776e943d24030291113795403b2e4c?impolicy=wcms_crop_resize&cropH=576&cropW=1024&xPos=0&yPos=0&width=862&height=485

Erykah Badu - 4 Leaf Clover
This was sort of in the snooze territory for me, BUT it was maybe a step up from that? I enjoyed it more than the Brandy and Monica songs for instance. I haven't been paying close attention to if I'm at ten songs I'd like to give points yet, but you might scrape something idk. This was okay.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Pearl
360_F_490580984_V5B0GHCsI9oY2ENY6qXaQ46i

Brandy - Learn the Hard Way
Cute I guess. I've heard better old school R&B I think. This kinda did nothing for me honestly. (2) I might have enjoyed this a smidge over the other Brandy song, but it was much of a muchness. Both kinda just blur into an amalgamation of music I'm more than happy to leave in the 90's.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Audrey
senior-african-american-woman-sleeping-in-bed.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=HC1L4elzucWYomG9o5SLA6bVsWPQDaRUTFU-EfnGf9I=

A Taste Of Honey - Ain't Nothin' But A Party
Another remastered song… luckily for you this one doesn't say when it was remastered unlike that garbage Garbage song. Anyways, this one was cute. It was a bit repetitive at times, but it was fun and dancy, unlike a lot of these songs. I think you'll get something from me, nice choice.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Mia
portrait-of-a-senior-woman-dancing-with-her-friends-on-a-dance-hall.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=u3TVM56ed2ZwLu_B6X2cqDuWsuLkoOH0zJsX0p5U7J8=

INOJ - All I Want
Oh well, this kinda just sounded so cheap. I don't know, it was borderline parody-of-this-era territory for me. If Garageband was a thing back in this era, this sounds like it would have been made on it. Not for me.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Ophelia
360_F_175212465_R84QJ8ECC85u2NggPTAhOHNb

D'Angelo - Smooth
I like that you went with a man, kinda like the Snoop Dogg sender you said, "I want to stand out," and well you did just that. That said, this kinda is just a male counterpart to the Brandy and Monica type songs I haven't really been enjoying. There's something about this instrumental that I'm digging, though. I don't know if you'll make my list, but it's not out of the question.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Leomia
efbf34e47c2c363b2e869315a05c3d59.jpg

Whitney Houston - Thinking About You
Ending on a high note, I see. The production here is fun, and of course Whitney is Whitney like… you knew you were eating here. I've heard this song before, or maybe an interpolation/sample/cover of it? But I can't seem to put my finger on it or locate it even with an extensive Google search. Hmm. Anyway, this was a good way to close the playlist, thanks.

Β 

Assigned Grandma: Mona
8a9717e251ca9f4c2a744b4389860f1b.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.