J. Cole is using transphobia in his Kendrick diss…

KatyPrismSpirit

An artist as big as j Cole shouldn't be getting away with these weirdly transphobic lines anymore

GKYSDaAWYAIjcZg.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virgos Groove

• imabadkid

• Lovett

• liquiddiamonds

Top Posters In This Topic

QueenofCopyPaste

No one will bat an eye because

It's 

"gangsta rap" 

:zzz:

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Rappers and the majority of people who listen do not care about it. That's why he gets away with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I love a bunch of rap music, but rap as a genre has yet to see the day it is called out for its allowance of homophobia and transphobia still in 2024.  Kendrick has also used transphobic lyrics btw - I'm shocked he never get dragged for one of his lyrics in DNA "cause yous a yous a yous a *****, your hormones prolly switch inside your DNA" - which is like blatantly transphobic.

• Like 13
  • Thumbs Down 1

the lyric was a choice. but lets not act like the rap community/diss tracks are gonna be respectful. 

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Down 5

And listeners are probably gonna love it *sigh*

barbiegrande
5 minutes ago, Just a Gay on ATRL said:

I love a bunch of rap music, but rap as a genre has yet to see the day it is called out for its allowance of homophobia and transphobia still in 2024.  Kendrick has also used transphobic lyrics btw - I'm shocked he never get dragged for one of his lyrics in DNA "cause yous a yous a yous a *****, your hormones prolly switch inside your DNA" - which is like blatantly transphobic.

He made a whole tribute song to his trans relative. People are more nuanced than 100% pro or 100% anti lgbtq

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

OMG

giphy.gif

I love J but, there really is no reason to be promoting transphobia in 2024. They have it hard enough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

the crazy thing is a lot of rappers pass trans girls around… idk if J Cole is one but yikes. I like rap as a genre but there's soooo much hypocrisy it's insane. A lot of rappers lack basic self awareness, it's exhausting.

Edited by imabadkid

barbiegrande
7 minutes ago, trustdaprocess said:

Theres no such thing as being "nuanced" when it comes to trans rights to live freely without fear of being k!lled / beaten up / rejected. 

There's nuance in rap lyrics and the intent behind them. I'm speaking on Kendrick not Cole

Edited by barbiegrande
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Kendrick's song was about him coming to terms with his own prejudice and accepting his trans relative. He just used the slur as narrative means of where he used to stand at. It's no different from white screenwriters or writers using the n-word for characters… but I understood the controversy and he got heat for that. 

How's the tribute song called?

1 minute ago, diemoehre said:

Auntie Diaries

• Thanks 1

hip hop artists are awful they should start uplifting their communities and teaching them better values instead of promoting violence, sexism, rape and homophobia

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 10

8 minutes ago, diemoehre said:

I wouldnt call a tribute. I would say that is one of those cis-centered media products that try to go into the psyche of the person on the other side of someone trans fulfilling their own personal journey. As far as that goes i didn't see transphobia as intent or execution. We can hang up on certain things like the use of f*gg*t and the name Auntie Diaries itself (it's about his uncle). But to compare that with the product of hate speech that are these Cole verses…. He is even mocking gender identity with the chosen line…

Even if we were to ignore the transphobia (which we should NOT), it's still a garbage bar, truly bottom of the barrell.

91a051890d894cdb00b4b052073d2f12d9191a27

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Oop

Didn't he also use the f*g word in a past song? I remember that being my introduction to him like ten years ago and I haven't listened to a song since.

26 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Kendrick's song was about him coming to terms with his own prejudice and accepting his trans relative. He just used the slur as narrative means of where he used to stand at. It's no different from white screenwriters or writers using the n-word for characters… but I understood the controversy and he got heat for that. 

Cole on the other hand is simply saying that his competitions is filed with man with *******, therefore trans and not masc like him. It's completely different and pure prejudice and hatred 

I appreciate that perspective because I haven't heard it before - having said that, there is a huge difference between lyrics and a screenplay. If Eminem or Iggy had used the n-word in a song to articulate that they used to say that word and realized how wrong it was, they would not live that down. Kendrick should have found a different way to express that. I really loved his music and I'm still so annoyed that I can't enjoy it in the same way :clown:

Edited by tachiwaka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tachiwaka said:

I appreciate that perspective because I haven't heard it before - having said that, there is a huge difference between lyrics and a screenplay. If Eminem or Iggy had used the n-word in a song to articulate that they used to say that word and realized how wrong it was, they would not live that down. Kendrick should have found a different way to express that. I really loved his music and I'm still so annoyed that I can't enjoy it in the same way :clown:

This is also true. I think Eminem is a closer example than Iggy. Iggy doesn't paint with words. But Eminem also incorporated characters all the time with his lyrics in highly controversial manners (and got heat for that and survived that). I could see him getting plenty of heat for a narrative as such. 

I also wish Kendrick had more thoroughly thought out some of the parts. Still I can see how he tried to use those choices as narrative motifs, like misgendering as reflecting the confusion watching someone transition (his momma being quoted and not misgendering his uncle gives that out) and the f-words thrown around only for the big gotcha! moment that Kendrick should let a white girl use the n-word if he wants to get comfy with other slurs. We need to ask ourselves if those choices were worthy. I certainly don't agree with all of them, including the one bringing Caitlyn Jenner in with her deadname, even if I hate her guts.

but I also didn't agree with the kendrick is a transphobic thinkpieces we got on Twitter/X. you would think he wrote these Cole lines and not a song that he ends up confronting himself about using slurs

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ugo said:

hip hop artists are awful they should start uplifting their communities and teaching them better values instead of promoting violence, sexism, rape and homophobia

its u downvoting me then posting this. :rip:

save that bs commentary for the political and religious leaders who have a far bigger impact on our society. 

• Thanks 3

Awful bars from Cole as always.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.