Intermittent Fasting Linked to Heart Disease Death

Armani?

https://newsroom.heart.org/news/8-hour-time-restricted-eating-linked-to-a-91-higher-risk-of-cardiovascular-death

The analysis found:

• People who followed a pattern of eating all of their food across less than 8 hours per day had a 91% higher risk of death due to cardiovascular disease.
  • The increased risk of cardiovascular death was also seen in people living with heart disease or cancer.
  • Among people with existing cardiovascular disease, an eating duration of no less than 8 but less than 10 hours per day was also associated with a 66% higher risk of death from heart disease or stroke.
  • Time-restricted eating did not reduce the overall risk of death from any cause.
  • An eating duration of more than 16 hours per day was associated with a lower risk of cancer mortality among people with cancer.

"We were surprised to find that people who followed an 8-hour, time-restricted eating schedule were more likely to die from cardiovascular disease. Even though this type of diet has been popular due to its potential short-term benefits, our research clearly shows that, compared with a typical eating time range of 12-16 hours per day, a shorter eating duration was not associated with living longer,” Zhong said.

Hmmm, I wouldn't be surprised if this is caused by people eating heavy Americanized meals in a short time frame to get calories that is high in saturated fat.

Not that it in itself is unhealthy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armani?

• Leptine

• perfect blue

• Saddy

Top Posters In This Topic

JohnWayneHolland

I've always been against intermittent fasting, just eat *****! 

A lot of these intermittent fasters follow keto as well. My friend's mother, only in her 50's, just had to get one of her valves replaced. She was obsessed with both.

not them announcing this during ramadan

• Haha 11

Not after me doing this for like 18 months :rip: Ive lost a lot of weight tho so surely the benefits of that outweigh thr negative...

• Like 1

it says that it can exacerbate heart disease in patients with PRE-existent heart conditions tho 

• Like 3

Intermittent fasting is stupid. Y'all can push the 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a scam made up by the food industry' narrative all you want but its the truth. Your body needs nutrition in the morning to have a good start of the day. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

30 minutes ago, Harrier said:

Not after me doing this for like 18 months :rip:

I think it really depends on what you're eating tbh

Most people aren't eating a mostly plant based diet on this.

Eating too many calories in one sitting or more importantly eating too much saturated fat (like 20+ grams in one sitting) would lead to severe cardiovascular disfunction.

Also eating morning or mid day in general is linked to better health outcomes than eating very late at night in studies I've seen

Wait this study was not controlled for other factors such as obesity :rip:  So it probably was associated with cardiovascular death bc fat folks are the ones doing the diet to try and lose weight. This is the key takeaway

"It will also be critical to see a comparison of demographics and baseline characteristics across the groups that were classified into the different time-restricted eating windows – for example, was the group with the shortest time-restricted eating window unique compared to people who followed other eating schedules,  in terms of weight, stress, traditional cardiometabolic risk factors or other factors associated with adverse cardiovascular outcomes? This additional information will help to better understand the potential independent contribution of the short time-restricted eating pattern reported in this interesting and provocative abstract.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Armani? said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is caused by people eating heavy Americanized meals in a short time frame to get calories that is high in saturated fat.

Almost positive that's what happened :deadbanana2: some ppl think they can eat whatever they want in this window :rip:

I did this for all of 2023

Lost weight and had so much energy, but I already was fit.

I stopped because I lost muscle and now I'm back to eating 5-6 times a day without the 16 hour window

17 minutes ago, Perfect Blue said:

A lot of these intermittent fasters follow keto as well. My friend's mother, only in her 50's, just had to get one of her valves replaced. She was obsessed with both.

Keto + IF is a perfect match for losing weight but idk each body is different and it could lead to other stuff

I feel like living permanently in IF mode can lead to problems

2 minutes ago, Solaria said:

Y'all can say push the 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a scam made up by the food industry' narrative all you want but its the truth. Your body needs nutrition in the morning to have a good start of the day. 

That's not what this study is about, and intermittent fasting has nothing to do with any specific meal tf.  :deadbanana4:

You can eat breakfast every single day and still do intermittent fasting.  You can also... not fast at all, still skip breakfast, and over consume on calories.  The time at which you eat isn't as important as making sure your body is getting its proper nutrients and calories in a self-sustainable way. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harrier said:

Wait this study was not controlled for other factors such as obesity :rip:  So it probably was associated with cardiovascular death bc fat folks are the ones doing the diet to try and lose weight. This is the key takeaway

It says controlled for BMI in the abstract apparently

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Trent W said:

Keto + IF is a perfect match for losing weight but idk each body is different and it could lead to other stuff

I feel like living permanently in IF mode can lead to problems

Well yes but she's been low carb for like half a decade. And no I'm not talking the avocado type of low carb, I'm talking bacon, burgers & butter.

12 minutes ago, Solaria said:

Intermittent fasting is stupid. Y'all can push the 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a scam made up by the food industry' narrative all you want but its the truth. Your body needs nutrition in the morning to have a good start of the day. 

Reading this statement is so meta, what has diet culture come to :dancehall3::clap3:?

Putting your body on survival mode has negative long-term effects on your health? What a shocker. :eek:

• Like 4

Tbh diet science is almost all fake. Eat intuitively/mindfully and try to limit excessive amount of sugar. It's really that simple.

• Like 5

doctors on twitter tore this up the day it was made public 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Revolution said:

not them announcing this during ramadan

and even muslims who are fasting still do 'breakfast' in the dawn :dies:

ramadan fasters reading this thread. :skull:

I suppose I'll die soon then :alexz2: I don't do this fasting thing but I don't really eat good, like I eat 1-2 times in a day (or only 1 time but a lot and usually it breakfast)

I don't understand what this means. I don't eat breakfast and will eat my first meal at like 2-4 PM and then maybe eat a late dinner. Sometimes with snacks in between. Is this what they're talking about? :toofunny3:

i've been doing 20-4 since last year. :rip:

but who cares honestly, i'd rather die skinny

:gaycat1:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.