Nelly Furtado gives flowers to Janet, Gwen & Madonna in new interview

naval23

In the same light, Furtado recognizes that she also wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the women who came before her, listing the likes of Madonna, Gwen Stefani, and Janet Jackson as early inspirations. Sharing a story she's never told before, Furtado details the time Stefani turned up to the video shoot for her single "Turn Off The Light" and heavily impacted the fashion for the visual.

"We were both watching an artist play at Universal Amphitheater and we both work with Sophie Miller, the video director. I was a huge No Doubt fan! She was wearing a Juicy Couture sweater and I literally asked my stylist to get me the same type of sweater. That's why I'm wearing an orange Juicy Couture sweater in the 'Turn Off The Light' video where Gwen Stefani came to visit me on set. It's like, man, with queens like that, you do get influenced,” she says. "It makes me happy even to share that story. Like, it's a small thing. It's a sweater. But, it's like, 'Oh my God, I've never seen a fuzzy hoodie, I want one.’ And then not only do I get one, but I wear it in my video. So this is how culture is created. Culture is just what people are doing. It's like a collage of influence.”

Referring to Stefani as "the homie,” Furtado recalls bumping into her at award shows where "she'd always hug me.” Furtado adds: "It sounds like such a cliche, but I'm gonna say it out loud. Queens recognize queens! You know what I'm saying? When I see younger artists killing it, I just get so inspired and happy and excited for them.”

Interview: Nelly Furtado Cover Story (euphoriazine.com)

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

The way this is making my 2000s self so happy :jonny5: 

• Like 6

We love them both 

So sad about the state of Gwen now. But at least she's happy.

• Thumbs Down 1

Legends only :eek:

Gwen x Nelly x Fergie = mid 00s main pop girls forever 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Isaac Rivers said:

Gwen x Nelly x Fergie = mid 00s main pop girls forever 

It's crazy how, even if they couldn't sustain that level lf success, they dominated the industry during a period where the usual superstars were not around and they weren't even missed. LAMB, Loose and Dutchess eras were seriously massive and each one of these ladies carved out her own lane.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Movimento Perpétuo said:

Legends only :eek:

Janet and Madonna yes, but the other one shouldn't be even mentioned in the same sentence. 

1 hour ago, discosean said:

Janet and Madonna yes, but the other one shouldn't be even mentioned in the same sentence. 

Maybe in a difference space/level but Gwen is a legend and was super influential

3 hours ago, discosean said:

Sure, user discosean :toofunny2:

11 hours ago, naval23 said:

So this is how culture is created.

Queen of knowing her cultural impact.

20 hours ago, okgo said:

Maybe in a difference space/level but Gwen is a legend and was super influential

She was a culture vulture and a homewrecker. 

3 hours ago, discosean said:

She was a culture vulture and a homewrecker. 

even if she was she was also still a trailblazer and influence for countless artists

20 hours ago, okgo said:

even if she was she was also still a trailblazer and influence for countless artists

Name them

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.