Normani f/ Gunna - "1:59"

hallucinate

18 hours ago, professor2000 said:

We'll see chile… lol

just remembered lydia is managing her now so i'm curious to see how this entire thing is going to be handled :laugh:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wonbin

• nooniebao

• popularmoonlight

• Armani?

I don't want to judge too harshly before I hear it, but I feel like she still doesn't understand like what would make what she's looking for click.

Depositing into R&B is probably the better choice. The longer success for SZA and Summer and recent critical success for Victoria and Coco make that premise seem attractive, and Normani makes good R&B music.

But style over substance doesn't work there and a non-descript bedroom song anyone could make doesn't clear the bar for literally anyone that would still care. Does no one want to write her a decent radio hook? :skull: I truly don't get it. Still rooting for her but it's the same BS every time.

Sounds boring and dated.

Where is the fun summer bop, Mani?

The best thing she's done for her career is stall it for years and rely on hype.

judging by the snippet, she would've flopped, fizzled out, and been forgotten years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Simple said:

Bolding random words makes you feel fab for sure

ImpressMeMuch

It does!! 

What did yall expect from her? Lol this is exactly what I imagined. She's not like sza that can make songs interesting. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

SZA, Summer, and Victoria are all strongly passionate on R&B. Which is why so many people connect & love their music, it helps that they do write there own music, and are all three heavily involved in the process. It makes their music feel/sound more connected to them & more personal which is what R&B is kinda about. I don't really get that with Normanis R&B music, it's missing that element. Her music sounds good  but idk

• Thanks 4

excited for the song but why is it a month away :gaycat6: the hype is there but the long wait is only hurting her I fear :dancehall3:

Nobody asked for this Normani :gaycat7: where's the dance bops? 

3 hours ago, Caesar said:

SZA, Summer, and Victoria are all strongly passionate on R&B. Which is why so many people connect & love their music, it helps that they do write there own music, and are all three heavily involved in the process. It makes their music feel/sound more connected to them & more personal which is what R&B is kinda about. I don't really get that with Normanis R&B music, it's missing that element. Her music sounds good  but idk

I think it might be point of entry, too. She was a child star and 5H had some of the worst contemporary pop writing, so frame of reference isn't the best.

Those three all had long periods out of the spotlight to learn how to make and write music, without the pressure of having to sound commercial on every attempt.

I stan Normani but I cannot lie that this is feeling lackluster already…I thought with her getting a new management team, that stuff wouldn't be messy any longer. 

But here we are:

1. Releasing an album cover then completely dipping for an entire month

2. Announcing a month later that the single wouldn't be coming out for another month

3. Choosing a mid-tempo R&B song as the lead when we've been all clamoring for something upbeat

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the snippet very much and am still seated for new music, but I hope Normani and her team has a plan to excite us fans because making us wait an additional month isn't the smartest decision…

Edited by Crank_It_Up
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mxoonlight said:

I don't want to judge too harshly before I hear it, but I feel like she still doesn't understand like what would make what she's looking for click.

Depositing into R&B is probably the better choice. The longer success for SZA and Summer and recent critical success for Victoria and Coco make that premise seem attractive, and Normani makes good R&B music.

But style over substance doesn't work there and a non-descript bedroom song anyone could make doesn't clear the bar for literally anyone that would still care. Does no one want to write her a decent radio hook? :skull: I truly don't get it. Still rooting for her but it's the same BS every time.

You got it on the head with the bolded part. The song sounds good but also, where's the memorable hook? Where are the melodies? Wild Side had that Aaliyah melody (proven to work already) to rely on so it's easy to get stuck in your head. This feels so empty and spacey. Just Waves rehashed (and even waves had a decent chorus). I wanna see Normani make more r&b with GOOD HOOKS. If she wants to be like SZA, Victoria, and Coco…you gotta actually have strong choruses and melodies.  

The bedroom lyrical content is whatever. It could work, it couldn't who knows. Regardless, RCA seems super invested and even pulled a Gunna feature so I think radio wise, it's covered lol. It should be a cute lil top 40 billboard hit for her. Then, the next single will be more revealing honestly. 

Edited by Flare

21 hours ago, jdanton2 said:

some might consider the SZA song a snooze as well and it was a big hit . if Normani does some promo her song can be successful as well.

Are you okay 

:suburban:

Am I the only one not mad at the timeline and teasing. What does she have to lose? :suburban:

And as an R and B song this snippet is hot af. It may not go to nuumber 1 but it sounds like it has the potential to be Wild side part 2. Once the song takes off she needs to announce the album date for late June and release an uptempo bop during release week and let the chips fall where they may.

:suburban:

Edited by Space&Time
  • Thanks 3

Stop telling her to do pop or dance music. Go listen to f*cking Camila Cabello if you want that. Mani obviously likes R&B better and that's the music she's choosing to do.

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Shinning said:

Stop telling her to do pop or dance music. Go listen to f*cking Camila Cabello if you want that. Mani obviously likes R&B better and that's the music she's choosing to do.

Camila Cabello strays? :suburban:

• Haha 1

first single?

• Haha 1

Ah so that's what this was all about

marketing genius. Excited for all the other fun little Easter eggs this rollout will have 

• Like 1

Guys what if we announce it at 1:59 can you imagine 

1 hour ago, Flare said:

You got it on the head with the bolded part. The song sounds good but also, where's the memorable hook? Where are the melodies? Wild Side had that Aaliyah melody (proven to work already) to rely on so it's easy to get stuck in your head. This feels so empty and spacey. Just Waves rehashed (and even waves had a decent chorus). I wanna see Normani make more r&b with GOOD HOOKS. If she wants to be like SZA, Victoria, and Coco…you gotta actually have strong choruses and melodies.  

The bedroom lyrical content is whatever. It could work, it couldn't who knows. Regardless, RCA seems super invested and even pulled a Gunna feature so I think radio wise, it's covered lol. It should be a cute lil top 40 billboard hit for her. Then, the next single will be more revealing honestly. 

Have you heard the full song? I mean 1:59? I'm just wondering because we have no idea what part of the song mani is teasing so how do we not know this doesn't have a catchy hook or chorus? I mean it definitely could. I wasn't super blown away by the Wild Side snippet but I love the full song :laugh:

Yeah I think the next single will be more revealing and I think she's going to have more than one uptempo on her album. 

Hoping she announces the release date of dopamine with this single 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.