Anyone else tired of long breaks between TV shows?

AbeHicks

I am not even going to bring up the 2-3 wait time between new seasons. I'm honestly thinking I'm going to start binging all series I'm watching from now on. I definitely prefer seeing everything in one go in no small part to the fact I hate having to wait an entire week to get more of the story. Add to that it's also pretty annoying having to spend the first 5 minutes of a show trying to remember what happened last week.

The biggest annoyance for me though, isn't the weekly waiting, but the seasonal waiting that breaks up a single season into two or more parts, especially when it's paired with random 2+ week breaks multiple times per season half.

I understand that they're trying to spread the show out over the year to help with ratings and avoid the holidays when people have less time to watch shows, but is it ever annoying to deal with as a viewer.

Are we speaking in terms of streaming, or network television?

I actually prefer weekly releases tbh. Most of the shows I watch that are currently airing I like to engage in online discussion with, plus it gives me time to digest what actually happens.

I don't get how people can just binge watch shows tbh. I don't find fun in seeing how a season of show plays out over a day or two.

But I agree with you on the ridiculously long breaks that shows on network tv have, it's ridiculous to start airing a show in September only to have a month or two off for Christmas. Just show the whole thing at once ffs

• Like 2

This is about Invincible?

My only complaint is when they take more than a year between seasons. By then I can hardly remember what happened in previous season and have to watch recaps on YouTube

• Like 4

We need AI advancements to make us TV shows within days :heart:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't mind watching a TV show weekly when it airs. I don't love having to wait 2-3+ years in-between series. :skull: But actors rarely sign exclusive deals anymore and when shows create breakthrough stars it's hard to keep to a strict schedule so I understand why it happens. Also as much as I moan about having to wait years between series, I flip like a switch when the show is announced and it comes out so it is what it is. :skull: 

• Like 1

I'm in a rut and keep rewatching the white queen, the white princess, the tudors, becoming Elizabeth, Elizabeth (2005 prime), then end with both Elizabeth films and the one with Margot Robie. m on a playlist and pretend like it's one thing and it takes like a few months. Yall do that for the best ish of your lives as they are in chronological order of how they happened. Tudor family collect heads   :alexz2:

Yes where the hell is Arcane Season 2?!

3 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

I am not even going to bring up the 2-3 wait time between new seasons. I'm honestly thinking I'm going to start binging all series I'm watching from now on. I definitely prefer seeing everything in one go in no small part to the fact I hate having to wait an entire week to get more of the story. Add to that it's also pretty annoying having to spend the first 5 minutes of a show trying to remember what happened last week.

The biggest annoyance for me though, isn't the weekly waiting, but the seasonal waiting that breaks up a single season into two or more parts, especially when it's paired with random 2+ week breaks multiple times per season half.

I understand that they're trying to spread the show out over the year to help with ratings and avoid the holidays when people have less time to watch shows, but is it ever annoying to deal with as a viewer.

if you weren't living under a rock, there was an actors & writers strike last year that prevented a lot of production from happening, as well as splitting seasons to compensate having new programming to fill the schedule throughout the year. 

no I always end up getting into shows after its aired

it's why im happy watching TVD over and over for my daily Damon :suburban:

Depends on the shoe. Like Stranger Things takes way too long between seasons. The kids are literal adults now. 

Yes cause I end up forgetting everything :redface:

I just wait til the series is out in full and then I start watching. I don't binge but I'll probably watch an episode a day.

TV shows used to be made to be consumed weekly, so there was a loose overarching plot but each episode was largely self contained. But now so many shows are just all about the main plot. So having to wait each week really interrupts the flow and makes them difficult to follow.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, livelikemusic said:

Are we speaking in terms of streaming, or network television?

Network Television. Like, both Ghosts and The Neighborhood are on mid-season breaks right now and it's annoying. I want to know if they save Flower from the well!

16 hours ago, kexin said:

if you weren't living under a rock, there was an actors & writers strike last year that prevented a lot of production from happening, as well as splitting seasons to compensate having new programming to fill the schedule throughout the year. 

That is not what I was writing about. Although the strikes helped no one.

I watch series when they're already out. I like to watch them from the beginning to the end, of the season or the series if they're already done. I don't mind seeing popular tv series at the moment I'd rather watching them after some months when the hype (and the spoilers!) are done. 

19 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

Network Television. Like, both Ghosts and The Neighborhood are on mid-season breaks right now and it's annoying.

i think mid season breaks are dumb in 2024. only exception is if the network knows a certain event (e.g. Oscars, Super Bowl, Olympics) would wash them in views/ratings .. just keep playing the season lol.

im still waiting for Severance Season 2 and im going insane

ive rewatched season 1 four times already 

On 3/23/2024 at 2:50 PM, AbeHicks said:

Network Television. Like, both Ghosts and The Neighborhood are on mid-season breaks right now and it's annoying. I want to know if they save Flower from the well!

I like network television breaks, and a lot of shows are breaking following the SAG-AFTRA & WGA Strikes. Shows didn't go into production until November / December, and can only film so much before launches.

I'm tired of waiting in general. So much content is available at our fingertips just do something else. 

The Handmaids Tale has me fuming. Last season ended in November 2022 and they haven't even started filming the next one :biblionny:

I'm noticing longer gaps between seasons now. Seasons used to release year after year, almost strictly, but now it seems as if a number of television shows are on the same timeline as movie productions—taking multiple years in between seasons. It partly makes sense for their production value, as television series have become much larger in scale, especially when they're used to sell streaming services.

As someone who has quite a sizable backlog of various series to watch, I don't really mind it. I can just catch up on other shows in between others. It's only concerning for series under unique circumstances, like Stranger Things. The series will be eight years old this year, whereas only three years have passed within the series—as of now. The actors, and their respective characters, will have aged eight years in the series, within three.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.