When do you consider the start of Northern Hempishere Spring/Southern Hemisphere Fall

pride4jc1222

Your first day of Northern Hemsiphere Spring/Southern Hemisphere Fall  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What date do you use to mark the first day of Northern Hemisphere Spring/Southern Hemisphere Fall?

• March 1
    • March equinox
    • Somewhere in between

The March equinox (which takes place on the 19th, 20th, or 21st) has traditionally marked the start of spring in the Northern Hemisphere and the start of fall in the Southern Hempishere. However, in more recent times, meterologists and many people now use March 1 as the date to mark the transition. Which date do you use to mark the change in seasons?

I think most people consider it at the start of the month rather than the official equinox date

• Thumbs Down 1

For me it is when I start wearing my spring/fall jacket instead of my winter jacket.  Given how wild climate change is, this can be any time between March and May. 

Edited by byzantium

March 1st

Kesha's Birthday is the changer

Edited by queenoftheclouds
  • Thanks 1

The equinox :foxaylove3:

The equinox, I didn't know people did otherwise :chick2:

The equinox. In Poland we also have the calendar first day of spring (and every other season too), which is always 21 March. Obviously based on the astronomical first day, but it doesn't move, which is convenient. Meteorologists use 1 March though.

The equinox

The Equinox. In my state, winter conditions sometimes last into April, so it doesn't make sense to use an earlier date.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.