Best pop culture era?

TROPICUM

Well?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. ....

• 50s - 60s (Rock-n-Roll, Blues, 1 president assassination, Marilyn, The Beatles, Elvis...)
    • 70s - 80s (Disco, Synth, Diana Ross, Madonna, Michael Jackson, malls, fur...)
    • 90s - 00s (RnB, Hip-Hop, Britney, Mariah, Beyoncé, Tamagotchi, Fashion, 9/11, Disney revival...)
    • 10s - 20s (Trap, EDM, Bubblegum Pop, Latin, Adele, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, The Weeknd, COVID...)

which had more impact? best cultural relevance? have we arrived at the pinacle of pop, is it long gone or is it yet to happen?

thoughts?

alex-consani-pencil-skirt-tiktok.gif

Edited by TROPICUM

BrandNewBrandon

Where is the Gaga or Rihanna mention in the 00s-10s? What about Beyoncé who influenced when albums are released? Gaga's reign translating to EDM on American radio and popularising fandom names? They should clearly be mentioned in the 00's-10's. 

I would go with the 80s btw. 

Edited by BrandNewBrandon

why are you combining the 10s with the 20s? those are two different eras imo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Where is the Gaga or Rihanna mention in the 00s-10s? What about Beyoncé who influenced when albums are released? Gaga's reign translating to EDM on American radio and popularising fandom names? They should clearly be mentioned in the 00's-10's. 

that's why i put various ellipsis at the end of each option

several important figures were left out due to the space i had, but I can assure you, BrandNewBrandon, in the last three dots of the 10s - 20s, Lady Gaga is included

doja-cat-side-eye.gif

4 minutes ago, shyboi said:

why are you combining the 10s with the 20s? those are two different eras imo

i agree lowkey but if i put the 90s/00s together i had to put the 10s and 20s too :pancake:

• Haha 1

Mid 90s to mid 00s was peak pop culture 

• Like 2

The dominance Marilyn Monroe would have had on this website if the Internet existed in the 50s :jonny:

1 minute ago, TROPICUM said:

several important figures were left out due to the space i had, but I can assure you, BrandNewBrandon, in the last three dots of the 10s - 20s, Lady Gaga is included

doja-cat-side-eye.gif

i agree lowkey but if i put the 90s/00s together i had to put the 10s and 20s too :pancake:

i wanted to vote for the 20s but not for the 10s 

:clack:

Just now, Jotham said:

The dominance Marilyn Monroe would have had on this website if the Internet existed in the 50s :jonny:

she was not a mpg, she was a mmg

BrandNewBrandon
4 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

doja-cat-side-eye.gif

But why did you add Taylor Swift when she did nothing noteworthy to shape the 10s like Beyoncé or Gaga yet you claimed you weren't a Taylor stan? 

People have issues with your thread so maybe A) add a certain blondie to the dots and I'm not talking about Lady Gaga or B) do another thread that isn't such a flop where you do the 10s and 20s separately. 

Sounds Good Cbs GIF by Paramount+

• Thumbs Down 1

The 90s followed by the 80s and 20s.

The 90s had the best music, both mainstream and underground/outsider. Plus the movies, fashion, games, literally everything peaked there. Human creativity was at its highest.

The 80s has that glam rock/synth pop trademark which never fails to evoke nostalgia.

The 20s can be hit or miss mostly because of tiktok/social media but a lot of the music is excellent and i feel like from now on, artists will feel more comfortable with experimentation.

The early-mid 10s suck for music but had loads of great movies/tv series. 2017-2019 had great music but terrible movies. The most inconsistent decade imo.

2 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

But why did you add Taylor Swift when she did nothing noteworthy to shape the 10s like Beyoncé or Gaga yet you claimed you weren't a Taylor stan? 

People have issues with your thread so maybe A) add a certain blondie to the dots and I'm not talking about Lady Gaga or B) do another thread that isn't such a flop where you do the 10s and 20s separately. 

she's the biggest selling artist of the decade not putting her on would look worse... i placed beyoncé in the 00s cause that's when she debuted but i agree that she could also be in the modern era... and sure i'll add lady gaga so you can calm down

this seems like a you problem tbh... you can't spiral every time you see taylor's name... it's not healthy

doja-cat-side-eye.gif

BrandNewBrandon
12 minutes ago, TROPICUM said:

she's the biggest selling artist of the decade not putting her on would look worse... i placed beyoncé in the 00s cause that's when she debuted but i agree that she could also be in the modern era... and sure i'll add lady gaga so you can calm down

You asked what pop culture era was better. Beyoncé and Gaga did way more to pop culture than Taylor in the late 2000s and 2010s but you added her and not them. Seems like it's your mistake. 

Edited by BrandNewBrandon
  • Like 2

the 80's.  You just had to be there. :alexz2:

also, listing "fur" for the 80's? lol  How about:

breakdancing

jelly bracelets

Garbage Pail Kids

Baseball cards

California Raisens

Dynasty

Dallas

Golden Girls

The Wonder Years

hair bands

hairspray/poofy hair

NKOTB

• Like 2

This kinda just shows how much a flop the 2010's & 2020's are compared to previous era's :deadbanana4:

it actually insane

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

You asked what pop culture era was better. Beyoncé and Gaga did way more to pop culture than Taylor in the late 2000s and 2010s but you added her and not them. 

sir… the information locked in the parenthesis were meant to be a visual reference of the era, not end all and be all of  it… also, if you could turn up your vision a bit you could see that i didn't include artists only but also events/things that may have been important to the era, but not all because again, it's simply meant to be a general visual reference

20 minutes ago, BrandNewBrandon said:

Seems like it's your mistake. 

Edited by TROPICUM
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2024 at 10:13 PM, spree said:

also, listing "fur" for the 80's? lol  How about:

breakdancing

jelly bracelets

Garbage Pail Kids

Baseball cards

California Raisens

Dynasty

Dallas

Golden Girls

The Wonder Years

hair bands

hairspray/poofy hair

NKOTB

The music industry and moive industry 

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2024 at 8:15 PM, Gorjesspazze9 said:

This kinda just shows how much a flop the 2010's & 2020's are compared to previous era's :deadbanana4:

it actually insane

Not really, probably 90s & 00s winning by wide margin it's because most of the users lived their childhood and teenage through those years

00s - 10s 

80s-90s

The 80s through the early to mid 2010s. Things started to fall off in 2019—up to and including now—with a few saving graces along the way. Pop culture is the weakest and least exciting it's been since it started to fall off. Everything used to be happening and releasing all at once, such as various film and television series, reality and otherwise, massive pop albums and artists, great cultural moments, celebrities worth talking about, etc.

That's why so much is based on nostalgia right now, as opposed to creating new things and moments.

The only era I have experienced is the 20s so far. But the 10s seemed fun. However, it looks like the 90s–00s were a golden age.

On 6/17/2024 at 12:57 AM, Mr. Loco said:

Not really, probably 90s & 00s winning by wide margin it's because most of the users lived their childhood and teenage through those years

Nah, it's definitely a drastic difference in pop culture from the past 10 years compared to the 80's-2000's. I wasn't even alive during the 80's and I still consider it Peak of Modern Pop culture. The Movies & Music industry went through Golden Ages and Revivals. Biggest Movie events of the 2020's outside of Marvel movies is Barbiehimer… compare that to Titanic, Jurassic Park, and several dozen 80's Movies that created the modern Blockbuster. MJ & Madonna Fame haven't been reached until Taylor. And even taylor is a 2000's Pop Star. Also 2000's Paparazzi and celebrity was an all time high. The biggest celebrity today are competing with streamers and influencers. Even the 2010's biggest events in entertainment have been overshadowed by politics and division. I just don't think the last 15 years is close

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

90's-2000's

Is the omission of multiple decades intentional or are you really that bad at math?

edit: oohhh... we're doing double decades

Well that makes it even easier... 1990 to 2010 by far

Edited by dumbsparce

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.