Why pop girls are serving only very quick #1s?

vale9001

After the 8 weeks at #1 of Anti Hero and 8 weeks at #1 of Flowers in the last 12 months no song was able to have a solid #1 run. Cruel Summer and Paint the town read were the only ones decent with 4 and 3 weeks.

Cruel Summer - Taylor Swift :  4 weeks at #1

Paint the town red - Doja cat:  3 weeks at #1

Texas hold em (Beyoncè): 2 week at #1

Vampire - Olivia Rodrigo:  2 weeks at #1

Seven (Latto):  1 week at #1

Kill Bill (Sza):  1 week at #1

Slime you out (Sza):  1 week at #1

Is it over now (Taylor Swift):  1 week at #1

Yes and? (Ariana Grande): 1 week at #1

Die For you (Ariana Grande): 1 week at #1

I remember everything (Kacey Musgraves): 1 week at # 1

Hiss (Meghan Thee Stallion): 1 week at #1

We can't be Friends by Ariana is set to lose the first position after one week. Can it repeak again or it's gonna be a quick number one like Die for you and Yes and?.

Who do you think is gonna give us again an exciting #1 run? 

:ihype:

Edited by vale9001

Labels are lobbying Billboard not to change the chart rules. The current set up of both the Hot 100 and Billboard 200 isn't fit for purpose; the former promotes quick, flash in the pan #1s through stans mass buying, while the latter keeps albums in the top 10 for months if they have a hit.

Mass buying needs to be looked into - there should be a limit on how many formats are allowed to be counted, for example. For Billboard 200, they should follow the UK model - take off the streams of the top 3 tracks and average out the streams of the rest to get a more realistic units figure.

• Thanks 8

It's a miracle there have even been multiple girls hitting #1 in recent times. Let's not get nitpicky.

• Thanks 2

Hit Singles shouldn't Count that much for albums since people should Stream the Album and Not the Singles only.

Beyoncé Texas Hold ‘Em is number one in the UK for 4 weeks in addition to 2 weeks in the US. That's an organic smash hit in my opinion .

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, surprisecentres said:

Labels are lobbying Billboard not to change the chart rules. The current set up of both the Hot 100 and Billboard 200 isn't fit for purpose; the former promotes quick, flash in the pan #1s through stans mass buying, while the latter keeps albums in the top 10 for months if they have a hit.

Mass buying needs to be looked into - there should be a limit on how many formats are allowed to be counted, for example. For Billboard 200, they should follow the UK model - take off the streams of the top 3 tracks and average out the streams of the rest to get a more realistic units figure.

And please please stop having album tracks fill up the hot 100 chart, limit to 3 songs per album to chart at once unless an official single 

• Thumbs Down 1

I wouldn't call them "quick", Cruel Summer is charting for 44 weeks, Greedy (which didn't even peak at #1) is still doing great number, Vampire charted for 33 weeks ..

We need to look at the overall weeks, not just weeks at #1.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, DonnaSpring said:

And please please stop having album tracks fill up the hot 100 chart, limit to 3 songs per album to chart at once unless an official single 

Yep, I believe in the UK artists have to nominate 3 tracks that can chart on the singles chart during release week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sailor Moon said:

I wouldn't call them "quick", Cruel Summer is charting for 44 weeks, Greedy (which didn't even peak at #1) is still doing great number, Vampire charted for 33 weeks ..

We need to look at the overall weeks, not just weeks at #1.

Pretty much this. Of all the songs you listed, I'd only classify Hiss as a quick #1 (and it did what it had to do) and Slime You Out

It's not their fault. It's the way the new business model works 

They just keep releasing quick lil singles until they burn out

Seven (Latto):  1 week at #1

Kill Bill (Sza):  1 week at #1

Slime you out (Sza):  1 week at #1

Is it over now (Taylor Swift):  1 week at #1

Yes and? (Ariana Grande): 1 week at #1

Die For you (Ariana Grande): 1 week at #1

I remember everything (Kacey Musgraves): 1 week at # 1

Hiss (Meghan Thee Stallion): 1 week at #1

We can't be Friends by Ariana

Seven is a K-pop release so we know why and how it went #1 and why it couldn't stay there

Kill Bill was a smash hit that spent eons near the top but needed a boost to get its one week when airplay peaked, just like Say So

Slime You Out was a Drake single that powered its way to #1 off of a major streaming start but no one liked it and other album tracks overshadowed it so it fell off

Is It Over Now and Yes and? were fanbase fueled. Neither ended up an actual #1 worthy smash hit down the line, no shade to either

Die For You was the same as Kill Bill; a smash that needed the remix for a week at the top. It's a song from 2016, it was not going to be easy for it to pick up enough momentum to go #1 otherwise, let alone stick around 

I Remember Everything had very little airplay. It's a miracle it went #1.

Hiss also had no airplay and was a buzz-dependent diss track. Again, a miracle it made it. 

We Can't Be Friends might make it a second week. We'll see

I don't get why the thread is specific to pop girls when half of these songs are actually by men.

• Like 12

Break My Soul got two weeks too. 

That's as much Beyonce will get without promo. Things are moving fast, and other artists are hungry for #1 hits. 

48 minutes ago, chaklux said:

Beyoncé Texas Hold ‘Em is number one in the UK for 4 weeks in addition to 2 weeks in the US. That's an organic smash hit in my opinion .

spacer.png

Radio is not aligned with streaming peaks, so this happens. Its truly just that. Plenty of these songs had great stability once radio picked them up

• Like 3

1 hour ago, surprisecentres said:

yep it makes #1s feel so meaningless 

i completely forgot die for you & hiss were #1s :rip: 

Longevity in the top 10 >>>> weeks at No.1

• Like 3

All of these #1s are on different levels of longevity lets be serious. 

Day 31 Global Spotify:

Texas - #9 4.3m

Vampire - #10 4m

Yes And? - #15 3.2m (I used day 30, Kanye released the next day)

Is it Over Now - #24 2.9m 

I remember everything - #44 1.9m

Slime You Out - #101 1.4m

HISS - N/A Global Spotify

Cruel Summer, Kill Bill and PTTR are already known longevity hits so no need to cover those.

Kill Bill spent 52 weeks on the chart. How is that quick? :rip: 

I remember everything is still top 10 after 6 months of release :skull: 

Die for you spent 52 weeks on the chart

The only real quick #1 hits there are HISS (rap girl), Seven (BTS member song), Slime you out (Drake frontloaded song)

Also yes and? and is it over now? because they spent little time in the top 10. 

The rest are fine

some of the biggest hits of all time spent only 1 week at the top. The perfect example is Poker Face which it's way bigger than songs like Look what you made me do or Born this way which spent multiple weeks at the top but then they fell fast on the charts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, SoundsandSongs said:

All of these #1s are on different levels of longevity lets be serious. 

Day 31 Global Spotify:

Texas - #9 4.3m

Vampire - #10 4m

Yes And? - #15 3.2m (I used day 30, Kanye released the next day)

Is it Over Now - #24 2.9m 

I remember everything - #44 1.9m

Slime You Out - #101 1.4m

HISS - N/A Global Spotify

Cruel Summer, Kill Bill and PTTR are already known longevity hits so no need to cover those.

These are american charts. Global Spotify makes no sense. Also I Remember Everything had been living inside the top 10 until a couple of weeks ago

24 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

These are american charts. Global Spotify makes no sense. Also I Remember Everything had been living inside the top 10 until a couple of weeks ago

I just checked American spotify and WOW what a huge difference from global spotify. How is I remember everything top 5 still after being released in September. A US smash lol. Slime It Out suprisingly did decent in US, #23 on day 31.

Texas and Yes And did much worse in the US than Global by day 31. HISS still N/A in US.

• Like 1

People need to realize it's 2024... the world moves fast, everything moves fast so people will love a song and play it non-stop but next week hell sometimes 2 or 3 days later, there's a new song out that's grabbing all the attention. I think some people are stuck in 2008 or 2007, the days of people having LONG number ones or even songs that chart for a super long period time are long over, we have too short of attention spans. I'm a millennial and feel like TikTok f*cked up my attention span, I can't imagine for Gen Z kids who grew up on apps like TikTok. It's just the new world we live in now, things move super fast and people move on to the next thing quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, imabadkid said:

People need to realize it's 2024... the world moves fast, everything moves fast so people will love a song and play it non-stop but next week hell sometimes 2 or 3 days later, there's a new song out that's grabbing all the attention. I think some people are stuck in 2008 or 2007, the days of people having LONG number ones or even songs that chart for a super long period time are long over, we have too short of attention spans. I'm a millennial and feel like TikTok f*cked up my attention span, I can't imagine for Gen Z kids who grew up on apps like TikTok. It's just the new world we live in now, things move super fast and people move on to the next thing quickly.

This this and this, it's really this easy, came here to say the same thing

6 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

Exactly, songs that stay at #1 for weeks are just lucky in terms of competition, in most cases.

TikTok makes people's attention span short. Most hits stabilize thanks to airplay (which always moves slow), they are not holding off that strong on streaming either

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.