are the pop girls that come from money making better music then the 'poor' girls?

tili33

are the pop girls that come from money making better music then the poor girls?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. are the pop girls that come from money making better music then the poor girls?

• Hailee Steinfeld: Actress and singer Hailee Steinfeld comes from an affluent family. Her father is a fitness trainer to celebrities and her mother is an interior designer.

• Lorde: New Zealand pop star Lorde (real name Ella Yelich-O'Connor) grew up in a middle-class suburb of Auckland. However, her father is a poet and her mother is a nurse, providing a supportive environment for her artistic endeavors.

• Shawn Mendes: Canadian singer Shawn Mendes reportedly grew up in a wealthy Toronto neighborhood. His father is a businessman and his mother real estate agent.

• Paris Hilton: Heiress to the Hilton Hotel Fortune, Paris Hilton parlayed her socialite status into a singing career in the early 2000s.

• Lana Del Rey: Born Elizabeth Grant, Lana Del Rey comes from a wealthy family and attended prestigious private schools.

• Lily Allen: Daughter of actor Keith Allen, Lily Allen had connections in the entertainment industry from a young age.

• Taylor Swift: Her father worked as a financial advisor and her mother was a homemaker who later became a mutual fund marketing director. This stability allowed her to take voice lessons, songwriting classes, and travel to Nashville to pursue country music in her teenage years.

• Lady Gaga: Her father worked in internet technology and her mother was a nurse. This provided a stable and supportive environment for her to explore music and performance from a young age.

• Carly Rae Jepsen: Though not as widely known, Carly Rae Jepsen's father is a former Canadian Forces colonel and her family background provided opportunities some might not have.

• Ariana Grande: Ariana Grande's father is a successful real estate agent, providing a comfortable upbringing that allowed her to pursue acting and singing from a young age.

• Ally Brooke (Fifth Harmony): Ally Brooke's family ran a construction company, giving her a financially secure childhood that fostered her musical interests.

• Austin Mahone: Austin Mahone reportedly grew up in a wealthy suburb of San Antonio, Texas. His family reportedly funded early recordings that helped launch his career.

• Victoria Justice: This actress-singer comes from a family heavily involved in real estate. Her financial security allowed her to pursue acting and singing lessons from a young age.

• Selena Gomez: Selena Gomez's father worked in film production, giving her a taste of the entertainment industry early on.

• Nick Jonas: One-third of the Jonas Brothers, Nick Jonas grew up in a family of pastors. While not necessarily indicative of immense wealth, his upbringing provided stability and support for his musical endeavors.

• Tiffany Young (Girls' Generation): This K-pop star trained at prestigious performing arts schools in South Korea, which can be quite expensive. This suggests her family provided significant financial backing for her artistic development.

• Kim Seok-jin (BTS): Another member of a hugely popular K-pop group, Jin of BTS reportedly comes from a wealthy family that owns a restaurant chain in South Korea.

• Zayn Malik: Former member of One Direction, Zayn Malik's father was a successful businessman, allowing Zayn to focus on music from a young age.

• Tinashe: This R&B-influenced pop singer's father is a businessman and her mother is a school teacher. While not extravagant wealth, Tinashe's upbringing provided stability and resources to nurture her musical talent.

• Charli XCX: British pop star Charli XCX's father is a renowned investment banker. Her family background likely afforded her access to quality music education and connections within the industry.

• Troye Sivan: Australian pop singer Troye Sivan comes from a family of real estate agents. This financial security allowed him to pursue acting and music from a young age.

• CL (2NE1): This former member of the iconic K-pop group 2NE1, CL, trained at prestigious schools in South Korea and Japan, suggesting a supportive and likely affluent family background.

• Brooke Candy: This American pop artist comes from a wealthy Chicago family. Her access to resources and connections helped her launch her career in the early 2010s.

• Zara Larsson: This Swedish pop star's father is a successful businessman. Her family's financial support allowed her to pursue music at a young age.

• The xx: This British indie-pop band features members whose families are involved in various successful businesses. Their financial security likely provided them with the freedom to focus on music without immediate financial pressures.

• Gwen Stefani (90s): The lead singer of No Doubt and a solo artist, Gwen Stefani's father was an Anaheim Angels executive. This financial security likely provided her with opportunities to explore music.

• James Blunt (2000s): This British pop singer comes from a military family background. While military service doesn't necessarily equate to wealth, James Blunt's family connections reportedly opened doors in the music industry.

• Ellie Goulding (2010s): This English singer-songwriter reportedly grew up on a family farm. While farming can be a challenging profession, her background suggests a comfortable upbringing that allowed her to pursue music.

etc...

Gaga comes from money and grew up rich yet her music after btw is lame af so this disprove your little theory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

As evidenced by the list of individuals in the OP, no.

• Haha 5

The amount of poor mainstream pop artists is like… Rihanna and Lil Nas X?

Most of them grew up either rich or (upper) middle class

18 minutes ago, tili33 said:

Lorde: New Zealand pop star Lorde (real name Ella Yelich-O'Connor) grew up in a middle-class suburb of Auckland. However, her father is a poet and her mother is a nurse, providing a supportive environment for her artistic endeavors.

I'm pretty sure her father is an engineer and her mother is a poet and school teacher.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Cain said:

+ Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Cardi B, Kesha, Shania Twain, Eminem, Nicki Minaj, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey

Edited by Sailor Moon

What a weird post :confused: you could've provided some examples of "poor" girls so we can leverage the two 

• Like 6

okay lana didn't stay as a high-middle class girl when her career started :stare: she literally lived in trailer parks while having to self finance production on literally all her pre-BTD demos… 

Not all these girls even come from money? Lorde for example has a middle class background, she said it herself and she went to state/government schools. Lorde is actually much closer to someone from a "poor" family than she is to Paris Hilton. 

40 minutes ago, tili33 said:

Ariana Grande's father is a successful real estate agent, providing a comfortable upbringing that allowed her to pursue acting and singing from a young age.

Ariana's wealth comes from her mother, who's the CEO of a company. Pretty sure her father is a graphic designer. 

Weird thread and point, by the way. Of course wealthy people are privileged and have access to better education/opportunities, but I don't know what that has to do with the quality of music of established artists. 

Edited by ariananext

Not really, that list is a mixed bag.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cain said:

Bieber, Weeknd

Poorer artists tend to spend years working towards the release of a debut album; therefore, that album tends to be their strongest work, as it has been developed across several years. Rich pop stars have the means to just mess around however they want and get called “experimental" (see: Charli XCX, Gaga, etc)

• Like 1

You Need to have Talent, a vision and you Need to Work hard.

You have easier Access into the music World with Money but that's it. If No one thinks you are good you get a Few Demos and that's it.

I don't really see the correlation other than the fact that 'rich' girls may have access to the crème de la crème producers and songwriters but that doesn't guarantee that the final product will be great. On the contrary, I'd argue that poor artists have more incentive to make good music because they have to prove themselves and find their audience, and they won't get many chances to do it.

1 hour ago, Sailor Moon said:

+ Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Cardi B, Kesha, Shania Twain, Eminem, Nicki Minaj, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey

+Katy Perry, Madonna

This has to be the most bullshit list I've ever seen. Zayn's father owned a couple of convenience stores did he not? As for Ellie Goulding growing up on a farm 😂 she came from a council house on an estate in Hereford, from a single parent family with so many siblings she cites one of her reasons for going to uni “to give them more space in the house", her mother's an NHS manager and as the child of an NHS manager, I can confirm this does not mean you come from money. Tove Lo on the other hand is the daughter of a multi millionaire and does write better music than the majority of that list so. 

It's because if you grow up comfortable or more you have both time + money to fund your career + maybe even the right connection.

My ex grew up with a lot of money, so did all his friends, and I've never met so many "artists" or models in my life before. All of them, without exception, was funded by their parents, so yeah :skull: 

But whether or not you come from money or not doesn't determine if you make quality music, tbh. Plenty of talented people from all kinds of backgrounds. 

Selena doesn't come from money. She literally did a lot interviews at the start of her career talking about how she had to eat cup noodles on daily for a little while cause her mother didn't have a lot money. 

some people on that list isn't really proving the point :rip:

Edited by Cult Leader 𐕣𐕣

7 hours ago, Gesamtkunstwerk said:

It's because if you grow up comfortable or more you have both time + money to fund your career + maybe even the right connection.

My ex grew up with a lot of money, so did all his friends, and I've never met so many "artists" or models in my life before. All of them, without exception, was funded by their parents, so yeah :skull: 

But whether or not you come from money or not doesn't determine if you make quality music, tbh. Plenty of talented people from all kinds of backgrounds. 

Exactly. I agree with the first point, but I also think it depends on the country, I feel like in the US a lot of young people are taught that they can achieve their dreams, while in other countries it may be a bit harder to even believe you can make it.

I feel like most of young people on the poorer side in my country would be told to go **** themselves and find a real job if they told their parents they want to be a popstar :deadbanana4:

• Hailee Steinfeld

• Shawn Mendes: 

• Paris Hilton:

• Ally Brooke (Exception)

• Austin Mahone

• Victoria Justice

• Selena Gomez.

• Nick Jonas

• Kim Seok-jin

• CL (2NE1).

• Zara Larsson

None of these make good music or better music than those without a leg up. Only Ally Brooke is an exception to this verdict.

Some of this list isn't even accurate

Zayn did not grow up wealthy at all and Lady Gaga's mother was never a nurse. Ellie Goulding also grew up on a council estate, not a farm.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.