Why wasn't Kandi successful as a solo artist?

SoldierofLove

At the peak of her career as a songwriter, Kandi released her debut solo album after writing hits for Destiny's Child, TLC, P!nk and others:

"Don't Think I'm Not" is a cute song and hit #24 on the Hot 100. 

"What I'm Gon' Do to You" is a good album track.

Why didn't the album do well? Was it her voice? Lack of personality? Did she and She'kspere already give their best songs away to other artists?

Edited by SoldierofLove

Kandi cannot sing. Shes a good writer but her voice is grating and her music is nothing original. 

• Like 1

Don't think i'm not is 10x Diamond in my charts but it's also the only song by her I use... a cute one hit wonder!

• Like 4

I feel like I like the songs she wrote for others more than her actual songs. :rip:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Josh said:

Kandi cannot sing. Shes a good writer but her voice is grating and her music is nothing original. 

I feel like her voice was worse during her solo era for some reason.  Because I swear in Xscape she never sounded that shaky, lol.  I was recently looking at some of their old “Understanding" performances and she sounded fine.  

I do think she can technically sing, she just had a different/unusual tone (similar to Michelle in DC, imo).  

• Like 1

Just now, professor2000 said:

I feel like her voice was worse during her solo era for some reason.  Because I swear in Xscape she never sounded that shaky, lol.  I was recently looking at some of their old “Understanding" performances and she sounded fine.  

I do think she can technically sing, she just had a different/unusual tone (similar to Michelle in DC, imo).  

Michelle can actually sing though. She blows Kandi out of the water. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chainsmoker said:

I feel like I like the songs she wrote for others more than her actual songs. :rip:

There You Go is her best song

Kandi also explained that Columbia was going through an exec shuffle both before and after her debut came out.  So, that's probably why she just focused on writing.  

And when she went indie; all her music quality decreased. It was giving low budget. lol. 

Her voice is so annoying :gaycat7:

And if this isn't an indication idk what to tell you:

18 minutes ago, Josh said:

Michelle can actually sing though. She blows Kandi out of the water. 

I didn't like her voice for DC originally. I know it's controversial…but it is what it is. :laugh: She never fit DC's original sound.

She grew into her own on DF though.  I think since they went for a more classic soulful R&B sound on that album…the Michelle bridges made sense then.  

But before that she kinda stuck out like a sore thumb, imo.  But yeah, she's technically a good singer.  I won't deny her that.  

Kandi is technically a good singer too though, even though her tone can be grating.  :rip: 

The way she held down the low harmony in Xscape + could sing high notes (Understanding, My Little Secret).  And did both without straining. You can't do that and be a bad singer technically. 

Edited by professor2000
  • Like 1

XScape were not big for Kandi's screechy vocals I'll say that 

Don't Think I'm Not is still that bop though, and Bowser's Castle anthem "Legs Hips Body" went viral a few years ago 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also like this song from her debut…I recently discovered it (after I listened to her full album after that SWV/Xscape show aired)…

But this song + “Don't Think I'm Not"

were the only good songs on that album.  :celestial5:lol

15 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

Kandi also explained that Columbia was going through an exec shuffle both before and after her debut came out.  So, that's probably why she just focused on writing.  

And when she went indie; all her music quality decreased. It was giving low budget. lol. 

Interesting about Columbia. I didn't know that. 

I think the main reason why the quality of her music decreased is because she stopped working with her ex, She'kspere. :mandown:

14 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Her voice is so annoying :gaycat7:

And if this isn't an indication idk what to tell you:

this was a bop tho :jamming:

54 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

"Don't Think I'm Not" is a cute song and hit #24 on the Hot 100. 

"What I'm Gon' Do to You" is a good album track.

TBH if that's all that can be said about an album it doesn't seem like a very good one 

• Haha 2

She has a bad / really divisive vocal tone but her penmanship was solid. She's very hit or miss overall even as a songwriter. 

Both of Kandi's albums are cliche and generic af but she has some gems on them. Her voice is an acquired taste that works in moderation. She's good for a hook, a background vocal or in harmony with her groupmates. Kandi is just somebody that doesn't need a full length album jjkdkls i suspect that she's gotten the message from the GP. Kandi is also an inconsistent songwriter but her main talent is constructing catchy, memorable melodies. 

No Scrubs 

Bills Bills Bills

Bug A Boo

Tardy For The Party

Don't Think I'm Not

Fly Above 

Legs To the Moon (A kii)

Are all earworms because of the melodies she helped construct, that's why a few of them have been sampled several times. 

so to answer your question... all of this + lack of promo 

Edited by Bey_Rihstan

3 hours ago, PrettyHurts said:

this was a bop tho :jamming:

Dog What GIF by MOODMAN

xtiliyan

For starters her name is Kandi

1 hour ago, xtiliyan said:

For starters her name is Kandi

:rip:

extremely high competition at that time, generic music and lack of promo. easily put DTIN in last few tracks of NOW! compilation and being one of most bland track there

we need more tardy for the party

8 hours ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

Both of Kandi's albums are cliche and generic af but she has some gems on them. Her voice is an acquired taste that works in moderation. She's good for a hook, a background vocal or in harmony with her groupmates. Kandi is just somebody that doesn't need a full length album jjkdkls i suspect that she's gotten the message from the GP. Kandi is also an inconsistent songwriter but her main talent is constructing catchy, memorable melodies. 

No Scrubs 

Bills Bills Bills

Bug A Boo

Tardy For The Party

Don't Think I'm Not

Fly Above 

Legs To the Moon (A kii)

Are all earworms because of the melodies she helped construct, that's why a few of them have been sampled several times. 

so to answer your question... all of this + lack of promo 

This. Also There You Go (p!nk) is another great example of Kandi's great writing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.