Did ticket scalpers overestimate Justin Timberlake's popularity?

SoldierofLove

ATRL gays kept telling me that Justin's tour is selling well but I had a hard time believing that.

Upon further investigation, his tour technically is selling well. But I'm seeing a lot of resale tickets. As you can see, there are a sea of pink seats still available for these four shows. This is the case with many others.

Will the scalpers have to reduce the tickets to $20 to sell them off? 

Did scalpers overestimate his popularity?

What does this mean for his touring prospects in the future?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by SoldierofLove
  • Thumbs Down 1

His tour is doing fine. This happens to literally every major act. :giraffe:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

BrandNewBrandon

Oh please. When his concerts were announced outside of the US there were thousands upon thousands in the queue so I doubt it's not going to sell out :rip:

• Thanks 1

ATLRs please learn how the touring and ticket sales industry works before making threads about it, I am so beyond tired 

Edited by Mr. Mendes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

40 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

I had a hard time believing that

It's not our fault you rather believe delusions. 

41 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

Upon further investigation

You mean obsessions. 

42 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

I'm seeing a lot of resale tickets

That's normal with EVERY concert. You ok?

42 minutes ago, SoldierofLove said:

Will the scalpers have to reduce the tickets to $20

I Hope so, so YOU can go :heart2:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

ATLRs please learn how the touring and ticket sales industry works before making threads about it, I am so beyond tired 

Well then can you explain ?

Are you for real? In all screenshoots provinced most of the tickets aren't available. The seats were either bought by consumers or resellers and the ones left had a bad view or are platinum (basically a portion ticketmaster selects to make people buy overpriced tickets, but when It's closer to the date, they became standard tickets If no one purchases). 

The "worst" is Sap Center, but there's still 2 months to sell. 

Literally every single concert they sells well has a ton of resale tickets. It's the norm. It's like you've never bought concert tickets before. 

Doubting Justin's tour is selling well and then posting mostly sold out/close to sold out shows :toofunny3:

This happens to everyone, especially now with scalp market and expensive dynamic pricing being through the roof.

I'm assuming OP is a deluded britney stan bc that ticket map looks like any other perfectly-normal and successful arena tour to me :rip:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, reymiu said:

Well then can you explain ?

Happy to.

Having been a box office hawk for both film and touring for the last several years, we've seen a lot of big changes in regards to both industries when it comes to sales and audiences purchasing behavior. It used to be commonplace in both for advance sell outs, but in a post pandemic world this is becoming more and more rare. 

When it comes to touring specifically this is down to two things. One is audiences have gotten used to Ticketmaster's pricing lunacy and have learned that prices drop like a rock on the day before and day of a show so shows that are destined to sell out will almost certainly not do it until the day of the show unless you're just a truly massive artist like Taylor or Olivia. Two is audiences are much, much more acquainted with ticket resale now than they used to be. 

While these resale marketplaces have been around forever, they've really grown to be a powerful force in the touring world since the resumption of touring post-pandemic. Audiences are more willing than ever now to bypass Ticketmaster altogether and purchase their ticket from a reseller. As such, reselling has become a profession all of its own. 

If you look at resale sites, you'll notice the same tickets are typically listed on multiple sites and that includes Ticketmaster itself. Many of those seats shown on the OP you'll be able to find listed somewhere like StubHub, SeatGeek, Viagogo, TickPick, etc as well. Sellers are posting multiple listings for the same tickets all over because it increases their chances of someone buying them because they know audiences are educated enough on the process to go looking for cheaper deals now. 

So when you log onto Ticketmaster and see that a show is not completely sold out and it's only a week away, you'd be foolish to call it a flop like many people do. Those seats will be sold by the time the artist is on stage. I sat in my seats for Beyonce, Madonna, and The 1975 all three and refreshed Ticketmaster and watched seats sell right in front of me. 

Similarly, if you log onto Tickermaster and see a bunch or resell seats available, or log onto SeatGeek or StubHub etc and see the same, it's not a case of resllers overestimating, it's resellers listing all over the place and audiences waiting until the last moment to buy. Instant sell outs are gone for the most part, and resale is becoming more and more preferred especially as Ticketmaster gets more and more controversial. 

This is why I cannot help but cringe when people make these threads here or on Twitter about how an artist's tour is flopping based solely on Ticketmaster seating charts 3 months before a show. 

Make your thread when the show is actually happening and there's a sea of empty seats in front of the artist. Then we can have that conversation. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Happy to.

Having been a box office hawk for both film and touring for the last several years, we've seen a lot of big changes in regards to both industries when it comes to sales and audiences purchasing behavior. It used to be commonplace in both for advance sell outs, but in a post pandemic world this is becoming more and more rare. 

When it comes to touring specifically this is down to two things. One is audiences have gotten used to Ticketmaster's pricing lunacy and have learned that prices drop like a rock on the day before and day of a show so shows that are destined to sell out will almost certainly not do it until the day of the show unless you're just a truly massive artist like Taylor or Olivia. Two is audiences are much, much more acquainted with ticket resale now than they used to be. 

While these resale marketplaces have been around forever, they've really grown to be a powerful force in the touring world since the resumption of touring post-pandemic. Audiences are more willing than ever now to bypass Ticketmaster altogether and purchase their ticket from a reseller. As such, reselling has become a profession all of its own. 

If you look at resale sites, you'll notice the same tickets are typically listed on multiple sites and that includes Ticketmaster itself. Many of those seats shown on the OP you'll be able to find listed somewhere like StubHub, SeatGeek, Viagogo, TickPick, etc as well. Sellers are posting multiple listings for the same tickets all over because it increases their chances of someone buying them because they know audiences are educated enough on the process to go looking for cheaper deals now. 

So when you log onto Ticketmaster and see that a show is not completely sold out and it's only a week away, you'd be foolish to call it a flop like many people do. Those seats will be sold by the time the artist is on stage. I sat in my seats for Beyonce, Madonna, and The 1975 all three and refreshed Ticketmaster and watched seats sell right in front of me. 

Similarly, if you log onto Tickermaster and see a bunch or resell seats available, or log onto SeatGeek or StubHub etc and see the same, it's not a case of resllers overestimating, it's resellers listing all over the place and audiences waiting until the last moment to buy. Instant sell outs are gone for the most part, and resale is becoming more and more preferred especially as Ticketmaster gets more and more controversial. 

This is why I cannot help but cringe when people make these threads here or on Twitter about how an artist's tour is flopping based solely on Ticketmaster seating charts 3 months before a show. 

Make your thread when the show is actually happening and there's a sea of empty seats in front of the artist. Then we can have that conversation. 

Legitimate question, outside of any feelings on Timberlake: the whole point of ticket resale is for the reseller to sell the tickets at a higher price than originally purchased. If it's as common as you say for people to wait until last minute, when the reseller has already (probably) slashed the price to avoid losing all the money, then what's in it for the reseller? I was under the impression their whole point was to sell the tickets in advance, at a higher price, to people who weren't able to snatch seats from Ticketmaster directly before the sell-out. 

45 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Happy to.

Sorry but I'm still so confused

Why would a person voluntarily buy a ticket from a reseller at the last minute for more than what they would have paid in advance on Ticketmaster 

Nahhh I think there are plenty older ladies who want to see his show.. If the prices would be lower it would sell out quickly.

13 minutes ago, KFC said:

Why would a person voluntarily buy a ticket from a reseller at the last minute for more than what they would have paid in advance on Ticketmaster 

FOMO, more time to save and paying in advance might actually be more expensive cause of dynamic pricing.

27 minutes ago, KFC said:

sometimes u ask a friend what theyre doing, then they say "i alr told u five times... im going to see beyonce this weekend" and then u go oh yeah i guess im free lemme check ticketmaster

also ppl are willing to spend more when they actually get to do smth in that very moment ive noticed. "im not paying 80 bucks for a JT concert tf" vs "oh damn JT is playing tonight and theres still a ticket for a 100 bucks!!"

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.