Which recent J-word comeback tanked more: Jennifer Lopez vs. Justin Timberlake

Kayseri Mantisi

?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Jennifer Lopez
    • Justin Timberlake

Thoughts? :celestial5:

Who charted on Billboard Hot 100? (One of them even failed to crack into the Bubbling chart and it’s that one)

Edited by shakeyourbombom

You’ll have to wait and see. Justin’s new album debuted with around 6M streams :heart:

J.Lo is still a big celebrity, she is more than music and charts. She still looks good and can still perform. And her Superbowl show was good

Edited by Shimenawa
  • Like 5

Honestly, what exactly is the definition of “flop” or “tanked”? Is it to perform poorly in comparison to the industry standard? Or is it to perform well below individual expectations? If it’s the former, then both flopped but JLo flopped more. If it’s the later definition, then I’m not sure either really tanked at all. Their albums and singles performed exactly as I would have expected them to perform based on their recent career efforts.

Edited by Anomaly

JLove is winning this one Dear ATRLer

4 minutes ago, HardBambi said:

JLove is winning this one Dear ATRLer

Thank you for your contribution to my thread dear precious ATRLer HardBambi 🙏🏻

Jennifer did objectively far, far worse but the bar was also far, far lower for her.

Justin has always been a much bigger album seller than her, especially in the US and his set-up for this specific era was also far more grand. She made her album on a small label, mostly with an in-house team of non-hitmakers. Justin teamed up with Calvin Harris, Louis Bell and Cirkut, had a major multi-format radio deal for his lead, much better playlist placements and has actually been trying to lay a foundation for a musical comeback for months, with the *NSYNC reunion and the Timbaland / Nelly Furtado single, that also had major radio deals. He should be doing better 

• Like 2

JLo's last album (which was also a flop) was released a decade ago. Her last real hit was in 2016. She's still a successful actress so she'll be fine

JT's last album was 6 years ago and had a top 10 single

JLo had nothing to lose with this album (and nobody really cared), meanwhile the public have turned on Justin

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

You’ll have to wait and see. Justin’s new album debuted with around 6M streams :heart:

That’s more than Jennifer’s entire first week, it’s not a wait and see situation 

• Haha 6

JLo had an ATRL banner. She won. :clap3:

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

Jennifer did objectively far, far worse but the bar was also far, far lower for her.

Justin has always been a much bigger album seller than her, especially in the US and his set-up for this specific era was also far more grand. She made her album on a small label, mostly with an in-house team of non-hitmakers. Justin teamed up with Calvin Harris, Louis Bell and Cirkut, had a major multi-format radio deal for his lead, much better playlist placements and has actually been trying to lay a foundation for a musical comeback for months, with the *NSYNC reunion and the Timbaland / Nelly Furtado single, that also had major radio deals. He should be doing better 

Their promo marketing is basically a radio deal vs a whole $20-30 million budget visual album, high budget Apple Music show and Dolby Atmos ad with the lead single spammed

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Thoughts? :celestial5:

and prayers 

• Haha 2

The one from the Bronx :-*

JLo did worse numbers but JT was always the bigger singer plus he's male, so his flop is just as bad imo.

*Yawn* come up with something new. 

Maybe they should release a joint album.

Justin's comeback is worse. When we compare:

JT:

• Major Label Release + Promo: RCA Records
  • Last Release: 6 Years Ago
  • Last First Week #s: 293,000 units
  • Last Single Run: (2) Top 10 Singles, (4) Top 100 Singles

JL:

• Independent Release + Promo: No Major Label Backing + Self-Funded
  • Last Release: 10 Years Ago
  • Last First Week #s: 33,000 units
  • Last Single Run: (1) Top 20 Single, (2) Top 100 Singles

It's apples & oranges at this point. Regardless of name recognition, an artist with a major label machine has way more resources for commercial success than a self-funded, independent artist. Jennifer's comeback was way more impressive considering she did it all on her own at 54, with music being her secondary skill as an entertainer. For Justin, music is his primary skill, he's only 43, and his release history has been more consistent. Most artists at Jennifer's age cannot replicate such an elaborate release on their own. 

Edited by jakeisphat
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Popboi. said:

Their promo marketing is basically a radio deal vs a whole $20-30 million budget visual album, high budget Apple Music show and Dolby Atmos ad with the lead single spammed

Exposed, she did SNL and Jimmy Fallon too

Edited by shakeyourbombom

3 hours ago, John Slayne said:

JLo did worse numbers but JT was always the bigger singer plus he's male, so his flop is just as bad imo.

Britney’s revenge definitely hurt him

I despise people who are so frolickingly pressed in this thread and on the internet in general. 

I sometimes wish the tables were turned and a huge chunk of the GP would root for your failings and wish you all the worst stuff possibly imagined. 

That being said: I love both albums. I like JT's more though. 

I bet most people on ATRL and on the internet haven't even listened to either album, and yet have formed an opinion. That is why I demand IQ tests for opinions. 

Dear lord, help us all. 

Justin's music career had more relevance and has had actual radio hits in recent years.... to flop this bad... yikes!

J. Lo. "Selfish" by Justin charted in the Top 20 on the Hot 100, and he will definitely sell more than 21,000.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.