we can't be friends (wait for your love) is smashing. Shook?

naval23

1 hour ago, Gaia said:

Yes and no. She put a lot of Mac Miller references in the MV which makes everyone feel sympathy similar to doing the same thing in TUN when everyone fawned over the Malcolm line.

A pretty calculated pivot to the era to switch from “Why do you care whose dick I ride” to aiming for sympathy when that backfired. It’s a Taylor level calculation but works. 

Good for her though, I’m not a fan of her after her for being a home wrecker but if we live in a world where Nicki Minaj still has fans then Ariana ain’t that bad.  

Don’t piss me off…..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gaia said:

Yes and no. She put a lot of Mac Miller references in the MV which makes everyone feel sympathy similar to doing the same thing in TUN when everyone fawned over the Malcolm line.

A pretty calculated pivot to the era to switch from “Why do you care whose dick I ride” to aiming for sympathy when that backfired. It’s a Taylor level calculation but works. 

Good for her though, I’m not a fan of her after her for being a home wrecker but if we live in a world where Nicki Minaj still has fans then Ariana ain’t that bad.  

Sweetie, WCBF was always meant to be the second single. The song was mostly made from the lyrics from the bridge of yes and 

1 hour ago, Jpkun said:

Really? I think it sounds very Jack Antonoff esque, with some slight Ariana R&B vibes thrown in..

Max Martin sweetie I’m SO sorry

35 minutes ago, bad guy said:

I also was noticing people online saying the video/album is a ode to Mac too and was confused but I guess his favorite movie was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind so that may be the references people are referring to with the MV. As a fan of his I didn't even know that. Probably fans jumping to conclusions with that, or maybe it was intentional. Who knows. I don't think it's to gain sympathy though that's a bit harsh :rip:

It was just his dog that she used in the video and I guess that he had an insta handle named after the movie 

Edited by dirrtydiana

1 hour ago, Gaia said:

This post is unhinged :rip:

no it's pretty safe and generic, but has a nice beat to it that carries the song

perfect background music-esque bop

14 minutes ago, ohwow said:

no it's pretty safe and generic, but has a nice beat to it that carries the song

perfect background music-esque bop

If you think it’s generic and safe then you must’ve missed that this song is her piece of me 

The SNL performance really elevated the song.

Not surprised! It's a really good pick for a single & one of my early faves 

There are already multiple dedicated threads for this song’s chart performance.

Yes because it's one of my least favorites on the album :rip: I'm glad she seems to have recovered from Yes, And? underperforming.

It sounds like a reject Taylor swift song so not surprised. 

I could literally hear Taylor swift in this song. Beat reminds me of something Taylor did too. 

Edited by Twixters
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

12 hours ago, Jpkun said:

Really? I think it sounds very Jack Antonoff esque, with some slight Ariana R&B vibes thrown in..

It does! Soon as I heard this song I got Taylor swift vibes lol 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Twixters said:

I could literally hear Taylor swift in this song. Beat reminds me of something Taylor did too. 

It has that same throbbing synthpop beat as Style. 

Ari did it earlier herself with Love Me Harder. Other songs in that style are True Disaster by Tove Lo, and Do What U Want by Gaga

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Parallel said:

Would’ve been the second smash of the era after “fantasize” but I’m glad Ari’s talent persevered regardless of a lackluster lead single

I don’t agree Yes And was lackluster. It did what it was supposed to, scored her another #1 and got her the hype needed to launch a record

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Twixters said:

Listen to NTWDT from vault

Very similar 

I am glad it became a hit cause this shows Max Martin is still the King

A career highlight if you ask me. Should have been the lead. 

Yes cause it's long song and sonically not what people expect Ariana to do.

Edited by Bencharmer

12 hours ago, Twixters said:

This comparison makes no sense. A big part of what makes the song special is Ari’s vocals and the way she emotes, both which she Taylor lacks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

it sounds suuuuuuuuper cute and its relatable, clearly cleaning the mess of yes on

3 hours ago, Weld_E said:

This comparison makes no sense. A big part of what makes the song special is Ari’s vocals and the way she emotes, both which she Taylor lacks. 

The way it is sung is not what I mean. It’s the song lyrical content and the instrumental. I could just hear Taylor all over it. 

3 hours ago, Weld_E said:

All of this 

30 minutes ago, Twixters said:

The way it is sung is not what I mean. It’s the song lyrical content and the instrumental. I could just hear Taylor all over it. 

What we’re not gonna do is gaslight the readers into thinking such an ethereal and personal song sounds like someone’s unreleased reject. :laugh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.