we can't be friends (wait for your love) is smashing. Shook?

naval23

Yeah, I thought it was a bad pick, didn't see it smashing, glad she proved me wrong!

• Like 4

No def not. First time I heard it it clicked immediately. Its also my favorite song of the album.

• Like 4

Yes and no. She put a lot of Mac Miller references in the MV which makes everyone feel sympathy similar to doing the same thing in TUN when everyone fawned over the Malcolm line.

A pretty calculated pivot to the era to switch from “Why do you care whose dick I ride” to aiming for sympathy when that backfired. It’s a Taylor level calculation but works. 

Good for her though, I’m not a fan of her after her for being a home wrecker but if we live in a world where Nicki Minaj still has fans then Ariana ain’t that bad.  

• Thumbs Down 19

No. The song is catchy and the music video is good.

• Like 6

The song is too good :clap3: her best single to date.

A little. Its sound is very european for the US but Ariana's melodies make it very accessible. 

spacer.png

no. she always wins in the end 

it’s an Ariana single album release week that’s expected 

4 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

A little. Its sound is very european for the US but Ariana's melodies make it very accessible. 

Really? I think it sounds very Jack Antonoff esque, with some slight Ariana R&B vibes thrown in..

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Yes and no. She put a lot of Mac Miller references in the MV which makes everyone feel sympathy similar to doing the same thing in TUN when everyone fawned over the Malcolm line.

A pretty calculated pivot to the era to switch from “Why do you care whose dick I ride” to aiming for sympathy when that backfired. It’s a Taylor level calculation but works. 

Good for her though, I’m not a fan of her after her for being a home wrecker but if we live in a world where Nicki Minaj still has fans then Ariana ain’t that bad.  

What are these Mac references that the GP is recognizing so easily and giving her sympathy for? I'm a casual fan and I can't tell. 

People just like the song and don't give a **** about her personal life either way. 

6 minutes ago, thirdward said:

it’s an Ariana single album release week that’s expected 

Not with the way "yes, and?" was going

yes! i loved the song immediately, especially with that gorgeous video, but i didn't see it being a success in the US at all. very very happy to be proven wrong!

A bit. I do like the song a lot, but I didn't think it would smash like this. Really happy for Ari though!

I liked it from the first listen, but wasn't sure how it would fare. Guess that wasn't of any issue!

I really like it so I'm happy for it and Ari! 

• ATRL Moderator
21 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Mac Miller references? :rip:

20 minutes ago, Gaia said:

I'm a fan since Yours Truly and have caught 0 Mac references, the music video is just inspired by the movie. If people make up **** to get likes that's not on Ariana. But that probably doesn't matter to you since you just wanted to troll and be insensitive. 

This song doesn’t have Mac Miller references be serious

people deflecting with the mac miller references

tenor.gif

Yes, only because I was hoping that boy is mine would smash instead. 

Would’ve been the second smash of the era after “fantasize” but I’m glad Ari’s talent persevered regardless of a lackluster lead single

30 minutes ago, Gaia said:

cbc lying GIF by Kim's Convenience

1 hour ago, Gaia said:

I also was noticing people online saying the video/album is a ode to Mac too and was confused but I guess his favorite movie was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind so that may be the references people are referring to with the MV. As a fan of his I didn't even know that. Probably fans jumping to conclusions with that, or maybe it was intentional. Who knows. I don't think it's to gain sympathy though that's a bit harsh :rip:

Edited by bad guy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.