Barbie failed to win most of the Oscars it was nominated, why?

Space Cowboy

I liked it a lot but it was nominated in/won exactly what it should have. 

31 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Lord of the Rings, EEAAO, Oppenheimer, Parasite, and Gladiator all did well with the mass culture and won BP. 

I’m using mass culture interchangeably with low culture as described here:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_culture

(primarily because I didn’t want to give people the impression that I was saying liking Barbie makes someone uncultured).

I’d distinguish Barbie from the movies in bold, as I’d consider them as having more of a middlebrow sensibility to varying degrees. They’re movies that appeal to mass society, but they’re also movies that people feel “smart” for getting/following, regardless of how complex the movie actually is. (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlebrow)

Obviously Barbie has the “Gender Studies 101” angle going for it, but I think given its cross-generational appeal, and the kind of built in following of the brand, it doesn’t register as “a dumb person’s idea of what the smartest movie of all time is” like some of these do (which isn’t to say any of these movies aren’t excellent). 

• Like 1

After the big box office success the nominations were its reward, it was not Oscar worthy.

It shouldn't even be nominated at first place :suburban:

I have yet to see it 

but I am pretty sure it’s overrated by the gays :giraffe:

2 hours ago, shimind said:

It was a cute lil summer movie with a political propaganda. Basically the Top gun maverick of 2023

this comparison is SENDING me :hoetenks:

• Haha 1

Ferreira got nominated for Supporting Actress is the most disgusting thing that happened last award season :suburban:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oppenheimer elevated its status as an awards season contender the same way that Barbie boosted Oppenheimer’s success at the box office. Getting multiple nominations was already a huge win.

1B box office > Oscar tbh

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, shimind said:

im sure greta thenberg will be crying tonight with 1.5 billion in her bank account :giraffe:

925056538891145246.gif?size=96&quality=l

the thing the movie was about.

it's a fun, campy movie that doesn't take itself too seriously and oscars don't like that 

The movie was only nominated for ratings. It’s clear the Oscar’s could care less about it. 

I mean you seen the movie? It’s ******* horrible so the cast should be happy they got any nominations in the first place.

• Like 1

I put off watching that movie for months cuz I could tell it sucked. Against better judgement last week I tried it. Barely made it one hour and stopped watching. How on earth was that movie a hit? I swear the world has lost its mind.

Edited by Mons†erMuscle™
  • Like 2

I mean, 20 mins and I couldn’t continue to watch it. To cringy for my taste also it doesn’t look like a movie to me, idk.

well neither did Camila's Cinderella. Both movies are quite similar. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.