Calls for legal action after ‘unimaginable suffering’ filmed at Devon pig farm

GraceRandolph

Undercover footage of pigs at a Devon farm showing them exposed to “unimaginable suffering” has prompted calls for legal action against the owners.

The film crew said the video of pigs being kept in filthy, cramped conditions – featuring instances of cannibalism and malnourishment, as well as animals with untreated, bleeding wounds and hernias – was filmed at Cross Farm in Holsworthy, owned by WJ Watkins and Son.

In one clip, a screaming pig was trampled on and bitten by her pen-mates and apparently died in front of the crew from Glass Wall Films.

A spokesperson for WJ Watkins confirmed he was aware that covert filming took place on the farm in October, but declined to comment further, referring the Guardian instead to the National Pig Association (NPA).

On the basis of the footage, filmed across four non-consecutive nights, the solicitors firm Advocates for Animals has sent a letter of complaint to Heart of the South West trading standards alleging “several potential breaches of the law” at the farm, which is part of the Red Tractor scheme, used to mark food produced to a “high standard”.

In 2017, Animal Equality investigated the same farm, estimated to hold 12,000 pigs, and said they found animals living in leaking, dilapidated buildings covered in slurry and forced to lie in their own waste, as well as two pigs with large hernias left in pens with other pigs, pregnant pigs kept in barren, concrete pens without any enrichment, and pigs that had had their tails docked.

Christopher Shoebridge, from Glass Wall Films, said: “We were interested to document how animal welfare has improved over time on British farms, and so we visited a farm where improvements had been promised. It was a huge shock to us that, far from being improved, things were just as bad, maybe even worse than before.

Full article:https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/10/calls-for-legal-action-after-unimaginable-suffering-filmed-at-devon-pig-farm

• Like 1

Who cares? The pigs are going to die anyway and we are going to eat them anyway because they’re delicious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 27

1 minute ago, Space Cowboy said:

Who cares? The pigs are going to die anyway and we are going to eat them anyway because they’re delicious.

I see you’ve taken a break from sharing far-right antisemitic tweets from Lauren Witzke to throw innocent animals under the bus. I guess it’s all fun and games until these hog farms start giving people cancer or these wretched conditions lead to the next global pandemic.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

I see you’ve taken a break from sharing far-right antisemitic tweets from Lauren Witzke to throw innocent animals under the bus. I guess it’s all fun and games until these hog farms start giving people cancer or these wretched conditions lead to the next global pandemic.

I support Palestine, I’m against the palestine genocide and I consider Israel a terrorist state, but i guess you tried :smile:

OT: Pigs stay delicious 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Space Cowboy said:

I support Palestine, I’m against the palestine genocide and I consider Israel a terrorist state, but i guess you tried :smile:

OT: Pigs stay delicious 

Guess I won’t burden you by sharing stories of animal abuse as well. 

this is horrifying to see, especially as a vegan :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is so sad! My bacon deserves a better life. 

• Haha 1

haram

people who don't consider the suffering of other beings will always be a hindrance to society, humanity and the planet as a whole.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Mass consumption needs curbing. Let these animals live a life instead of being confined to a cage just so people can eat them 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Karla Cabello said:

people who don't consider the suffering of other beings will always be a hindrance to society, humanity and the planet as a whole.

Honestly people who excuse animal abuse are just the worst of the worst. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

it really says a lot about them. if they excuse animal abuse, they can excuse any type of abuse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People who don’t care about the suffering of non-humans are missing something in their souls.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Well it really depends considering raising animals for slaughter is considered abuse, even if the animals are raised in “good” conditions, yet a majority of the planet and people you’ll ever know eat meat.  I guess it’s just where the line should be drawn in regards to treating animals who are raised to die.

Regardless, animals should never be treated anything like what you shared.  

Edited by Archetype

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.