Does Taylor S have the weakest lead singles of any pop girl?

GraceRandolph

Poll  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Does she have the weakest leads?

• Yes, she does
    • No, someone else has weaker leads

Does she?

LWYMMD was and still is legendary, she scored gold with that one

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No. Lady Gaga does

Just Dance: dated

Born This Way: dated

Applause: mid

Perfect Illusion: noisy garbage

Stupid Love: dated

• Like 3
  • Thanks 24
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 22

• ATRL Moderator

Of the ten she has released, only two or three haven't become enduring, beloved, or iconic defining songs for her.

I'd say those are pretty good numbers.

The "Taylor Swift has terrible lead singles" narrative has caught on for no discernible reason when the only truly unforgivable one is ME!

Taylor S most streamed first singles

Love story 1.7M streams 

shake it off : 1.4M streams 

Anti hero  1.9M  streams

Look what you made me do : 888K streams

cardigan : 1.6M streams

Lady G most streamed first singles

just dance: 888K streams

Born this way: 354k streams 

rain on me: 375K

applause: 391K streams

stupid love 109K streams

A no? :ryan3:

Edited by vale9001
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16
  • Thumbs Down 7

2 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

Of the ten she has released, only two or three haven't become enduring, beloved, or iconic defining songs for her.

I'd say those are pretty good numbers.

The "Taylor Swift has terrible lead singles" narrative has caught on for no discernible reason when the only truly unforgivable one is ME!

Tim McGraw is also weak, as is SIO and WANEGBT. 

• Thumbs Down 18

Her leads are better than most people's. Like, what are you even on? Crack? Weed? Drug?! 

• Confused 1

The circlejerk already in here, go take a room :skull:

OT: besides ME!th I dont see it tbh. 

Edited by TSwiftie

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Tim McGraw is also weak

That is incredibly subjective. I personally think it's a beautiful country song.

3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

as is SIO and WANEGBT. 

Shake It Off may not be to everyone's taste, but it is a perfectly executed version of what it is trying to be - hence it arguably being one of the best-known songs of our era. The same goes for WANEGBT. There's a legitimate argument that the RED singles were the birth of Taylor Swift The Phenomen as we now know it.

8 minutes ago, By the Water said:

the others I can understand, but this one... really??? it's an incredible pop song, with enough idiosyncrasies to make it far above mid. the bridge is gorgeous, the lyrics are insane and kitschy in a good way, her vocals slay, the chorus is pop perfection :gaygacat6:

3 minutes ago, Rep2000 said:

Her leads are better than most people's. Like, what are you even on? Crack? Weed? Drug?! 

Better than Madonna’s? Better than Katy’s? Better than Gaga’s? Better than Kesha’s? Better than Beyoncé’s? Better than which pop girl exactly? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 minutes ago, By the Water said:

Ok this is a spill, but still stronger than at least half of Taylor’s leads. 

Cardigan alone negates that theory. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

Better than Madonna’s? Better than Katy’s? Better than Gaga’s? Better than Kesha’s? Better than Beyoncé’s? Better than which pop girl exactly? 

oh wow okay spill a bit... Madonna and Kesha both tend to have amazing lead singles for sure! Raising Hell is the only one of Kesha's first singles that I'm not a huge fan of, but I still understand why she chose it as a lead. personally I would've gone with Kinky or High Road, but Raising Hell definitely has a vibe that encapsulates the ethos of the album

If you asked in 2019 I'd be inclined to say maybe. But the 1-2-3 punch of Cardigan - Willow and Anti-Hero put her in a very different position. Plus she had quite a few strong leads in the past: Tim McGraw - Love Story - Mine - WANEGBT. Her questionable run of leads started with Shake it Off and finished with ME, but two of them ended up being huge hits, so ye, I think the only terrible choice was ME. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

Frankly all of them. 

Can you even name Katy's or Gaga's all lead singles from top of your head (well, that bar is also too low since they have like 5 albums/lead singles)? 

Yeah most of them are tacky, unlistenable messes.

2 minutes ago, Rep2000 said:

Frankly all of them. 

Can you even name Katy's or Gaga's all lead singles from top of your head (well, that bar is also too low since they have like 5 albums/lead singles)? 

Yes I can. What does that have to do with quality? Why are Swifties shifting focus OFF of quality and onto streams or song recognition. The GP probably can’t name Florence’s leads but they are also stronger than Taylor’s. 

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

Yes I can. What does that have to do with quality? Why are Swifties shifting focus OFF of quality and onto streams or song recognition. The GP probably can’t name Florence’s leads but they are also stronger than Taylor’s. 

You literally can't claim that hers is the weakest when you can tell that Tim McGraw is her first single while you can't even name others'.

The quality is what mandates if those singles are memorable or not. 

She has the weakest everything - singles, albums, visuals etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 21

LWYMMD brought me in and Anti-Hero brought me out

you said you've had enough of taylor s thread and now you made another? what happened? has nobody irl paid some attention to you or something?

anyway, no. she does not.

Edited by liam13
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

cardiGOD is one of them so automatic no :giraffe:

They're a bit of a mixed bag but the bad ones are bad enough to make her a strong contender for the tile.

LWYMMD has to be one of the cringiest releases by a major pop star ever. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.