US lawmakers attempts to ban TikTok again!

Cesar

A powerful House committee advanced a bill on Thursday that could lead to a nationwide ban against TikTok on all electronic devices, renewing lawmakers’ challenge to one of the world’s most popular social media apps and highlighting unresolved fears that TikTok may pose a Chinese government spying risk.

The measure that sailed unanimously through the House Energy and Commerce Committee would prohibit TikTok from US app stores unless the social media platform — used by roughly 170 million Americans — is quickly spun off from its China-linked parent company, ByteDance.

If enacted, the bill would give ByteDance 165 days, or a little more than five months, to sell TikTok. If not divested by that date, it would be illegal for app store operators such as Apple and Google to make it available for download. The bill also contemplates similar prohibitions for other apps “controlled by foreign adversary companies.”

It’s the most aggressive legislation targeting TikTok to come out of a congressional committee since company CEO Shou Chew testified to lawmakers last year that the app poses no threat to Americans.

“Today, we will take the first step in creating long-overdue laws to protect Americans from the threat posed by apps controlled by our adversaries, and to send a very strong message that the US will always stand up for our values and freedom,” said Washington Republican Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, the panel’s chair.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/07/tech/congress-bill-bans-tiktok-america/index.html

The country falling apart and they are focusing on an app for dancing kids

I think it’s fine to admit TikTok has a lot of negatives and something needs to be done.   But to also say banning it is a stupid political move for both parties. 

• Like 2

Swear they do this like every 3 months… but yet when it comes to guns or Women’s rights the government gets real quiet 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

I think it’s fine to admit TikTok has a lot of negatives and something needs to be done.   But to also say banning it is a stupid political move for both parties. 

Something needs to be done about what exactly?

Ban it and save humanity. Please. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

just ban it already

• Like 3

But what’s the replacement 

Just now, WEEKND said:

Nothing there is no need for it. 

• Like 1

Take notes from India lol

21 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Do you even know what the bill is about? :skull: 

Is It Over Now?.mp3

Argylle promo is starting :duca:

After this they should 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, WEEKND said:

Bring back Vine :clap3:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WEEKND said:

If this actually happens Reels and YouTube Shorts would probably be the immediate replacements

Lots of small businesses have taken off because of TikTok so taking that away will be a huge blow to people. There is no point in this other than "China bad!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ATRL needs to integrate short form videos into the site to take advantage of the ban :duca:

19 hours ago, GhostBox said:

Very that. I don’t care for it personally but there are a lot of people who would be outraged if it was banned altogether. 

Good, wipe it from the internet please 

TikTok has helped promote so much music, TV shows, and movies as well.

20 hours ago, Caesar said:

TikTok’s biggest problem (from lawmaker’s perspective) is that it has radicalized young people against the state of Israel, so it needs to be stopped. Gutting TikTok is probably one of the top social priorities of the ADL and AIPAC right now.

1 hour ago, ClashAndBurn said:

TikTok’s biggest problem (from lawmaker’s perspective) is that it has radicalized young people against the state of Israel, so it needs to be stopped. Gutting TikTok is probably one of the top social priorities of the ADL and AIPAC right now.

They have been trying to ban TikTok way before this conflict blew up 💀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GhostBox said:

They have been trying to ban TikTok way before this conflict blew up 💀

Yeah, but I’m saying why those efforts have gotten such a renewed push in recent months. The Israel lobby views it as a threat, and it is by far the most powerful political force an Washington that always gets what it wants.

27 minutes ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Yeah, but I’m saying why those efforts have gotten such a renewed push in recent months. The Israel lobby views it as a threat, and it is by far the most powerful political force a Washington that always gets what it wants.

Yea I agree with that. 

Also of you look at the bill it doesn’t necessarily “ban” it, it will just force them to sell to an American  company.

so I think even if this passes(it seems it will and Biden will sign it)  it TikTok will be here to stay 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.