Are you prepared for the Fourth Industrial Revolution?

Gelato

We're at the beginning of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. AI, robotics, 3D printing and further automation will transform our lives and have potentially bigger effects than any of the previous revolutions.

There's good reason to think the number of job losses will be monumental. People will have to get even more used to training and retraining - potentially over a 60-70 year working life. Social skills, emotional intelligence, and technical skills will be required in addition to cognitive ability to "keep ahead of the machine".

These issues are all discussed in a 2018 speech by the former Chief Economist of the Bank of England, Andy Haldane.

So, ATRL, are you prepared for the storm ahead? Or do you not have a job to begin with?

Edited by Gelato

I thought it already started :-*

• Thanks 1

Just now, Princess Aurora said:

I thought it already started :-*

"We're at the beginning of the Fourth Industrial Revolution"

• Haha 1

I think it's going to spur a political revolution.

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

I think it's going to spur a political revolution.

Hopefully 

Just now, Gelato said:

"We're at the beginning of the Fourth Industrial Revolution"

To answer your question, I am. From a social-cultural aspect, I'm not so sure.

I am a mechatronics engineer so this is basically how I make money

Yes. I’m excited yet nervous. As a designer AI does so much of the brain work now which means my work is easier. It’s a great tool that’s still learning. 

That said I’m also not fond of the idea of the mega rich replacing workers with tech because it’s cheaper. Amazon warehouses for example have replaced a lot of roles with robots, e.g. parcel sorting 

I think the whole class/status system needs to be dismantled. No place for it in this world anymore 

? Industry 4.0 is already a thing. We’re already heading towards Industry 5.0 honey

4 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

? Industry 4.0 is already a thing. We’re already heading towards Industry 5.0 honey

All of the things touted as part of the Fifth Industrial Revolution are mentioned by Haldane in his speech as part of the Fourth.

I don't think the Fifth is a useful paradigm - we're only at the very beginning of the Fourth and there's too much overlap between what defines the Fourth and Fifth.

• Like 1

:khalyan2:

I think engineers are safe

• Like 1

They can produce as much stuff as they want with this AI and ****... but whats the point? u need real people with money to buy those products? if people wont have jobs who is going to buy all that stuff made with help of AI? 

I feel bad for my graphic designer friends. They are going to be out of a job in 5-10 years 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.