Which Pop Girlie’s 10 yr career trajectory surprised you most?

Iaintsorry

which pop girl’s career are you most surprised about how it turned out and wouldn’t have seen coming 10 years ago back in 2014? You can only pick one.

in 2024:

Adele - Vegas residency

Britney - retired and out of conservatorship 

Beyonce - Country music 

Xtina - Vegas residency

Gaga - Movie career

Katy - American idol

Rihanna - retired from music, makeup mogul

Taylor Swift - re-recordings and dominating

Miley - Critic praise and Grammy win

Madonna - Greatest Hits Tour

Mariah - collabing with Ari + Xmas fixture

JLo - back together with Ben and TIM..T vol.2

Ariana Grande - more focused on a musical

Nicki - Pink Friday 2 + comeback

Selena Gomez - droplets girly

Notable mentions to artists who debuted around 2014:

Megan Trainor - one minor hit, but mostly gone

Iggy - retired

Lorde - downhill since Royals

Edited by Iaintsorry

Gaga. 10 years ago I expected her to be 8-9 albums deep into her career by now.

I did not anticipate Taylor having more music than her given how Gaga used to talk about music.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 7

Rihanna retiring in 2016 .. I was hoping she have another 10 years in her in 2014 :weeps:

now im here only stanning guys because girls will not hit the same like she did with me .. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Iaintsorry said:

Lorde - downhill since Royals

What is this?

What downhill and what are you talking about?

Why is she on the same category as Meghan Trainor and Iggy Azalea?

Do you even listen to her or know her?

She still has 21 million monthly listeners on Spotify and her recurring streams are extremely good (especially compared to some of the other artists you listed in this thread) and this is all after an apparently "extremely flopped tanked" album. 

People will always be interested for a new Lorde album. Remember Solar Power the single's first day numbers.

She's not trying to be an MPG or a hitmaker. She does what she wants to do.

She is not over and will never be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I never expected Gaga to become the polar opposite of her younger artist self

• Like 3

Honestly, I'd say Beyoncé releasing country music. 

Honorable mentions:

Rihanna - retired from music, makeup mogul

Taylor Swift - re-recordings and dominating

Ariana Grande - more focused on a musical

6 minutes ago, Bloody Willy said:

I never expected Gaga to become the polar opposite of her younger artist self

There’s truth to this. 
She literally has a whole different outlook on her music career today 

• Like 1

Nobody in 2014 would've guessed Dark Horse will be Katy's last #1 so her 

Also Rihanna retiring. People might have expected her to slow down but 8+ years without an album is :wave:

Edited by burninredhot

Rihanna. She used to be dragged for releasing music yearly. Now she doesn’t release music at all. 

Lady Gaga pivoting towards acting. I expected it in a way, because she always seemed like theatre kid. But I also expected her to have more albums. Between now and 2014 she’s released two studio albums. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alldeezy said:

Rihanna retiring in 2016 .. I was hoping she have another 10 years in her in 2014 :weeps:

now im here only stanning guys because girls will not hit the same like she did with me .. 

ugh don’t get me started

And the fact that back then we thought the drought before Anti was gonna be the worst of it all

Ellie Goulding - only releasing 3 albums in 10 years is just... :redface:

1 minute ago, Tropez said:

Between now and 2014 she’s released two studio albums. 

I knew this consciously, but seeing it typed out... :deadbanana4: 

• Like 1

Honestly no one in 2014 would have predicted Rihanna retiring from music.

The overall lack of output from most of the girls in this list is the most shocking and unpredictable part of it. Gays that love pop girls have NOT been eating well in the 2020s unless they are a Swiftie or a K-pop fan :skull:

Least surprising:

-Taylor: if you were alive in 2014 and the 1989 era didn’t clue you in to her ambitions of becoming the biggest star of the century, were you actually even alive?

-Mariah: Christmas Queen 

Moderately surprising:

-Gaga: transition to acting was the most natural career progression for her, but it was a bit surprising how quickly and successfully she made said transition

-Katy: plenty of people probably foresaw her decline, but who could have guessed how quick and definitive it would be?

Most surprising:

-The Rihtirement

-Yeehoncé

Nobody could’ve predicted in 2014 that Taylor would have tenfold more success in 2024

• Like 1

Rihanna cause even though 2014 was the start of R8 drought era, i was still thinking she would drop R8/Anti by November 2014 then continue the annual or bi-annual releases again with some brand deals here and there (like Fenty Puma and MAC cosmetics)

honorable mentions:

Miley getting her flowers.mp3

Katy becoming a nostalgia act + idol judge 7 seasons deep (that's more seasons than she has albums :dies:)

• Like 3

Rihanna retiring from music and Taylor Swift being more popular than she was in 2014 

• Like 1

Definitely Rihanna. It's insane to think that I was in my early 20s when she last released an album. 

lol for me, it's definitely Mariah and Ariana collabing for a quick lil remix because if you know, you know lol. Also, Lady Gaga turning into just some actress named Stefani Germanotta. That woman lived and breathed her music, now it's almost like she never happened. 

The rest of these are not all that shocking. Even Rihanna's rih-tirement. As successful as she's been, her heart was never fully into her music career or being an artist like some other girls. It was mainly a means to an end.

Edited by Soda Pop Queen
  • Thanks 1

Leona Lewis 

I was sure she was gonna be an mpg in the long run :rip:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kiss It Better said:

Katy becoming a nostalgia act + idol judge 7 seasons deep (that's more seasons than she has albums :dies:)

only one less season than Paula.

honestly Gaga

not the acting because that feels like a natural progression for her career, and she’s great 

but becoming this GOOP/Kardashian LA hybrid that hawks pharmaceutical **** is kinda gross, and the total opposite of who she started as. I fully understand the reasons why she distanced herself from liddos etc, but this is NOT it 

• Thanks 3

• 10 years so from 2024:

Gaga - after Artpop i never would imagined she would slay the movie scene and release something like Joanne. I also thought she would release Lg 8 by this time
Rihanna - I thought she would release more albums like 3 or 4 since 2014. NGL i never imagined she would STOMP on a make up scene like that. I am so happy for her <3
Taylor - literally dominating pop scene - never could have imagined

• Thanks 1

rihanna - never imagined her just giving up on music

gaga - didnt see her having more success as an actress

GaGa becoming a Big Pharma shill :ahh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.