Will Shakira be the one to revive Cardi B’s career?

KatyPrismSpirit

“Puntería” is the name of the upcoming collaboration between Shakira and Cardi B, scheduled for release later this month. Will this collaboration be the one to revive Cardi’s career again? Cardi B hasn’t had a hit big song since 2021’s “Up”. Since then she had released a streak of underperforming singles:

Rumours (with Lizzo)

No Love Remix

Hot Sh*t (with Kanye West & Lil Durk)

Despecha Remix

Put It On Da Floor Again (feat. Cardi B)

Point Me 2 (with Fendi Da Rappa)

Jealousy (with Offset)

Bongos (feat. Megan Thee Stallion)

Like What (Freestyle)

None of these singles had any remarkable commercial success and performed poorly compared to her pre-2021 run. She however did manage to score a decent one week top 10 hit with a remix to Glorilla’s “Tomorrow” single.

Will Puntería with Shakira break the streak of underperforming singles by Cardi B? 

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit
  • Confused 1

Did Com Calma remix revive anything? Guess we'll have to wait and see!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Prodigal Self said:

Did Com Calma remix revive anything? Guess we'll have to wait and see!

i mean, she released Never Really Over right after it :clap3: A certified non-flop bop

She should release Rumors remix featuring Meredith Marks (the nastiness)

She’ll be fine. The Shakira collab could be big internationally, but not as well in the US

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OSH will just say the song was successful because of Cardi, oddly enough. 

• Thanks 2

It'll be a cute moment due to Shakira and then everything will go back to how it's been. Cardi was popular in the mainstream awhile ago now, I feel like she's not taken seriously in hip-hop anymore (the Shakira song wont help that) and really just has few remaining gays and gp pop fans leftover checking for her, I think Bongos showed that. 

Edited by Afterglow
  • Like 1

I think she’s just trying to secure her Latin base in case her April release doesn’t work just my take.

I mean everybody is saying is a hot track, it will probably be a cute moment for Shakira since she’s giving us something different for her never done before, but I think cardi is just trying to get her name out there again.

im sensing an underperformance

They need each other. Shakira's album is like 90% features for a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

4 hours ago, XDNA said:

The same goes with other artists but the most they can do is 1M per day for the whole album

9 hours ago, Afterglow said:

It'll be a cute moment due to Shakira and then everything will go back to how it's been. Cardi was popular in the mainstream awhile ago now, I feel like she's not taken seriously in hip-hop anymore (the Shakira song wont help that) and really just has few remaining gays and gp pop fans leftover checking for her, I think Bongos showed that. 

I mean... Bongos had several factors going against it. First of all, it wasn't a great song, I was underwhelmed from my first listen, and now it's just okay at best. Especially when held against WAP. It was also a tropical, summer-sounding song released in September which was a very weird choice.

12 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Rumours (with Lizzo)

No Love Remix

Hot Sh*t (with Kanye West & Lil Durk)

Despecha Remix

Put It On Da Floor Again (feat. Cardi B)

Point Me 2 (with Fendi Da Rappa)

Jealousy (with Offset)

Bongos (feat. Megan Thee Stallion)

Like What (Freestyle)

"Underperforming singles" and yet a lot of them went Top 15 (Rumors Top 5) whilst others were lucky to chart at all as they were collabs with newer artists (like Fendi Da Rappa) :coffee2: maybe not amazing in comparison to her staple hits, sure, but really not as bad as you make it out to be :skull:

1 hour ago, shakeyourbombom said:

The same goes with other artists but the most they can do is 1M per day for the whole album

I gave my opinion on the original questions posed with a fact. If you don't like it 1. grow up or 2. make a new topic. 

25 minutes ago, XDNA said:

I gave my opinion on the original questions posed with a fact. If you don't like it 1. grow up or 2. make a new topic. 

That fact you posted is based on your perspective and I can disagree.

7 hours ago, XDNA said:

Shakira can get enough streams. Not everybody can. :heart: 

Shakira’s solo “Dia de enero”, released in 2005, is getting 494,000 daily streams, which is more streams than some certain new releases.  :gaycat2: “Whenever Wherever” is also getting 419,000 daily streams. And those are facts. :gaycat4:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

Shakira can get enough streams. Not everybody can. :heart: 

Shakira’s solo “Dia de enero”, released in 2005, is getting 494,000 daily streams, which is more streams than some certain new releases.  :gaycat2: “Whenever Wherever” is also getting 419,000 daily streams. And those are facts. :gaycat4:

Well yes those are her classics. But this topic is about recent songs. Since it's asking about reviving their career.

As a fan of both ladies I'm cheering for them and I look forward to the collab.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

GIFMaker_me.thumb.gif.b73b6c629ccf7d5305

No, she's done and if it happens strangely, it would be a joke because in the rap culture, you depend only in your lyrics and talent, not the visuals or pop singers, and even when it comes to mainstream rap music, you can't depend on a pop singer to make it work, so either way it's not good for her.

It should be seen as a fresh collaboration, not as a career revival, but I'm sure that cardi is taking it as an attempt to a rebirth of her career. 💀

Edited by A.R.L

neither are relevant on their own to revive anything

• Thumbs Down 2

8 hours ago, blueberries said:

neither are relevant on their own to revive anything

Shakira is happily flopped with her 5.4 million sales album. Can't say the same for Christina Aguilera (4K albums).

5,400,000-4000 = 5,396,000

Gracias

Edited by shakeyourbombom

Looks like Cardi is the bigger star here. The only one out of these two too. 

• Thumbs Down 2

Ddd

So to recap, Belcalis did it herself by securing a currently stable T10

Shakira might have flopped but she's a bonafide LEGEND regardless and she loves Cardi; Cardi obv stans her DOWN, and so they had a cute moment

Both won; looks like there's only one loser here!

GIFMaker_me.thumb.gif.b73b6c629ccf7d5305

• Haha 1

With "Enough" flopping and the Shakira collab also tanking. I'm going to say no! Career still in the dumps. :cm:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.