Is there any hype left for a Rihanna comeback, anyway?

perfect blue

Is there any hype left for a Rihanna comeback, anyway?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Is there still hype for Rihanna?

Rihanna lost interest in being an artist and releasing music despite the general public frothing at the mouth for a new Rihanna album for nearly a decade.

But as of recent I'm sensing a tide shift. The "comeback" soundtrack she released last year sucked, her recent public performances have been even worse than her usual (Indian wedding, SuperBowl) indicating that she still has no spark, and pop culture has moved on without her and is doing just fine. It really begs the question - would anyone even be stoked about her comeback?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonPill

• perfect blue

• airplane

• burninredhot

Yes. If she serves quality bops the gp will stan it hard. Rih is one of the only mpgs with balanced cross gender appeal. 

• Like 4

BrandNewBrandon

I think there's still hype left. Her soundtrack last year debuted at #2 and would've been top 5 with or without remixes. So she's still anticipated. But the more she waits the more irrelevant she'll get because that's just how it goes. 

But the project has to be filled with bangers or at least be good for such a wait. 

• Like 1

to answer the question, no. but she can still come back whenever she wants.

Her streaming numbers say yes. She's the only one getting in her own way. 

"Hype," I don't know, but her legacy streams are incredible. I would want her to come back with a new Rated R, or Talk That Talk but she probably wouldn't

Fatou-Blackswan.thumb.gif.29325684f8d0de

• Like 1

Cameltoe Chariot

There's been a LOT of historical revision around Rihanna - I get that there's plenty of nostalgia for her hits but she has been Jay-Z's pet project since he discovered her. She was on a constant release schedule for over a decade with albums pieced together by a massive team, and Rihanna's only contribution was showing up at the end to lay down vocals. Diamonds, written by Sia, is the perfect example: literally nothing changed between Sia's demo and Rihanna's final cut... and she even emulates Sia's accent :redface:

It's only been in the past couple of years where everyone seemed to decide overnight that she was this legendary icon of 2010s pop, and often gets listed alongside the likes of Beyonce, Taylor, Gaga and Adele now... and sure she has the same name recognition, but at this point she's a billionaire business woman and not much else. Her recent performance in India proves this lmao

I was getting dragged pre-Super Bowl and "Lift Me Up" for daring to question the hype for her and any future music, so I'm feeling particularly vindicated these days :sistrens:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 12

It would be huge news if she was making a comeback and the first day numbers would be pretty big for sure, but everything else depends on the music itself

The GP does not 'anticipate' music until there's some kind of announcement or launch....the fact that her catalog is strong on streaming should tell you that people will be perched when she actually announces or releases music.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rihanna doesn't work with hype

She makes hits

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well I care

5b39775a1fe9a89d4f95212ef7f2f4ba.gif

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Cameltoe Chariot said:

There's been a LOT of historical revision around Rihanna - I get that there's plenty of nostalgia for her hits but she has been Jay-Z's pet project since he discovered her. She was on a constant release schedule for over a decade with albums pieced together by a massive team, and Rihanna's only contribution was showing up at the end to lay down vocals. Diamonds, written by Sia, is the perfect example: literally nothing changed between Sia's demo and Rihanna's final cut... and she even emulates Sia's accent :redface:

It's only been in the past couple of years where everyone seemed to decide overnight that she was this legendary icon of 2010s pop, and often gets listed alongside the likes of Beyonce, Taylor, Gaga and Adele now... and sure she has the same name recognition, but at this point she's a billionaire business woman and not much else. Her recent performance in India proves this lmao

I was getting dragged pre-Super Bowl and "Lift Me Up" for daring to question the hype for her and any future music, so I'm feeling particularly vindicated these days :sistrens:

Very much that, I was taught that she was a generic label puppet quick lil singles artist up until ANTi, then she suddenly became a musical genius and a visionary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

7 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

Rihanna doesn't work with hype

She makes hits

There will always be hype for a return of Rihanna. She has the eternal it factor.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

There’s always going to be hype because she stopped abruptly. She didn’t announce it beforehand or do a goodbye tour, so people are still thirsty. If her and Tyla were to collab it will smash. I could hear Rihanna doing Water.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't there be? 

Her performances have always been bad and her live vocals have always been mid.

Her talent or lack there of has never been a problem for the GP, they love her because she is pretty, has a cool personality and makes hits.

Edited by chaeyonce

The hype exists, it's just dormant until she actually drops/teases something

Well yes of course. The "comeback" that sucked still debuted with 7,000,000 streams and #2 on the Hot 100. No matter how long it takes people will be perched when she drops. 

• Thanks 1

as soon that woman step on a stage, people will remember the tragedy her career was

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Rihanna can take as long as she wants and her “comeback” will be huge. She is on no timetable. 

• Like 1

I used to be a big stan but I stopped caring much about 4 years ago. Now I almost forgot about her. I rarely stream her music anymore except for Rated R when I'm moody or Skin when I daydream about my crush.

• Like 1

Rihanna is a studio singles artist, she will thrive in the streaming era. For my sake she needs to return ASAP so her stans can reframe their negative energy into positive energy, 'cause their vitriol for Taylor is becoming increasingly unhealthy....

XJ507Mz.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

her last single was a huge bomb. the hype died in 2016.

Edited by halcyonday
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.