Black women in country music

RihannaRTT

As pretty much everyone on this website is aware, Beyoncé released two songs this past month from her upcoming country album Act II. The general concept of this and the previous era being to reclaim black-originated music genres that are now erroneously seen and gatekept as white-exclusive music spaces - particularly within areas such as country radio and country's awards circuit. Fast forward to now; Texas Hold Em has reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, the UK Singles Chart and other major markets across the globe. 

While fantastic and record-breaking on its own, the success of the song is also prompting listeners to indulge in music by other black country artists. As a regular country listener, it can be hard to find releases from these artists due to a lack of platforming for them within the genre. The fear is that country spaces accept Beyoncé for this era but choose to not highlight any other black women, effectively changing nothing in the long run despite the intention of the era.

To improve visibility, use this thread to share and listen to releases from black ladies in country music. Here are some I regularly listen to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3

2 hours ago, orange22 said:

Love her omg

A lot of black women skew more towards the folk / Americana side of things:

This legend is self-explanatory. 

She won her first Grammy this year for the song “Eve Was Black” off of this album. She was also one of the acts to perform on stage with Joni Mitchell.

She’s featured on “Texas Hold Em” playing viola and banjo, but her own music is fantastic. Every song on her most recent album sounds like a damn classic. (She was also part of the group Carolina Chocolate Drops back in the day).

Yola considers herself a “genreless” artist, but this debut album was classified as Americana by the Grammys. She performed her nominated song “Faraway Look” during the preshow a few years ago and knocked it all the way out of the park—it’s one of my favorite songs of the last 5 years. 

Rhiannon Giddens and Allison Russell teamed up with Amythyst Kiah and Leyla McCalla a few years ago for a whole joint album. 

Giving an honorable mention to this song. It was cowritten by Donna Summer, making it one of the only songs written by a black woman to go #1 on the country charts. Reba also covered it in the 90s. 

Edited by Achilles.
  • Thanks 1

I love this and think it's really important and handy to have this thread. I myself made sure to include a lot of the artists that have been named here in my TEXAS HOLD 'EM playlist to make sure that Black women in country get their fare share of attention too, not just Beyoncé as that is ultimately what she's trying to say with this. But I'd also like to point out that it's been reported that many of these artists have already seen a big increase in streams since Beyoncé released her country songs, so the concept is working!!

1 hour ago, swissman said:

I love this and think it's really important and handy to have this thread. I myself made sure to include a lot of the artists that have been named here in my TEXAS HOLD 'EM playlist to make sure that Black women in country get their fare share of attention too, not just Beyoncé as that is ultimately what she's trying to say with this. But I'd also like to point out that it's been reported that many of these artists have already seen a big increase in streams since Beyoncé released her country songs, so the concept is working!!

stan yola and tanner adele :clap3: 

4 hours ago, pisuke said:

Omg. I didn’t know Tina Turns The Country On! existed until she died, and it wasn’t available on streaming at the time. Glad to see that it’s been uploaded sometime since then so that this part of her legacy can be celebrated by fans! And those credits—Dolly Parton, Bob Dylan, James Taylor, Kris Kristofferson. Wow.

Listening now. :duca: 

thanks for all the suggestions so far y'all :heart:

Edited by RihannaRTT

Tanner Adell is sooo good. Talented, beautiful and makes great songs :jamming:

Fantastic initiative and thank you guys for sharing all those, I wasn't familiar with most. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another new release. Pretty folky. If you like Kacey's new album, you might enjoy this

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.