Skills/Languages you've learned as an adult

Sailor Moon

People say that it's hard to leard new skills or languages as an adult (18+), so I wanted to ask if you've learned any new things as an adult, could be things like painting, instruments, languages ...

As I got older I realised I was really good at playing the meat flute

• Haha 2

Started learning Japanese at 19, then Korean at like 24. I'm planning to learn how to play the synthesizer and make electronic music in general this year.

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 2

I learned Swedish as an adult. The process of learning is still ongoing

Edited by Princess Aurora
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, jonapova said:

As I got older I realised I was really good at playing the meat flute

your posts are so funny (I'm being genuine) and I feel like you're hot irl, are you single?

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

you can feed depression and anxiety sweet and fatty treats to keep them at bay. i did not always know this :WAP:

5 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

your posts are so funny (I'm being genuine) and I feel like you're hot irl, are you single?

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952iqx84r49xrpc57aswgn

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RideOrDie said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952iqx84r49xrpc57aswgn

nothing works anymore, I had to try ATRL at some point 

• Haha 6

I only learned to crack an egg

properly when I was 25 :dancehall:

im still learning how not to give a phak. it really does give you peace of mind :celestial2:

Pleaseeeeeee, the thought of adults having difficulties learning new languages as opposed to children is crap. You will never reach native-like speech but at the very least you can become fluent if you are actually serious. So no Duolingos and stuff like that. 

Learning aptitude matters a little. What you need is motivation, free time, good resources and language input every day. 

• Like 4

Yes im learning 2 languages successfully (English is also not my native language) and started playing guitar as an adult and want to learn how to play piano. I'm trying to adapt the mentality that age doesn't matter. Start new things at any age 

Edited by honestopinion
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

I only learned to crack an egg

properly when I was 25 :dancehall:

I still can’t do it and I eat eggs everyday. I always have to pick the pieces from the pan while making them 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

I’m not single, sorry. But you made me smile haha, I don’t mind showing you the pen15 :heart2:

• Haha 3

instruments: appalachian dulcimer, autoharp, bisernica

(all the other instruments i play i’d started learning before i was 18)

skills?: cooking and stuff i think. especially regarding uhmmm things involving rice on the stovetawp 

languages: i’m currently teaching myself russian on duolingo and b*tch this time i am DEDICATED thanks to my vyvanse world :heart:

Edited by JoeAg

48 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

i’m single!! hmu lol (i know this wasn’t directed at me, but in the future it could be 😉)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

i’m single!! hmu lol (i know this wasn’t directed at me, but in the future it could be 😉)

omg not this thread turning into Tinder :fan:

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, JoeAg said:

instruments: appalachian dulcimer, autoharp, bisernica

(all the other instruments i play i’d started learning before i was 18)

skills?: cooking and stuff i think. especially regarding uhmmm things involving rice on the stovetawp 

languages: i’m currently teaching myself russian on duolingo and b*tch this time i am DEDICATED thanks to my vyvanse world :heart:

omg good luck! russian is my native language, you can message me if you wanna have some practice 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, honestopinion said:

omg good luck! russian is my native language, you can message me if you wanna have some practice 

thank u :heart2: idk why it’s what i’ve told myself I’ll stick to, but I think i’m determined to get good at it for some reason this time (rather than the like 5 other times i’ve tried to get into the habit of using duolingo when i was in my early 20s)

3 minutes ago, stupidjock said:

omg not this thread turning into Tinder :fan:

I’m a top

Just now, jonapova said:

I’m a top

well, I'm in love with you

sorry about ruining this thread :rip: On topic - I tried to learn new language but I decided it's just not really for me. I'm going to this place once a week to draw/paint and I honestly love it even if it's kinda useless in general. I also learned how to work out, especially this year I'm going to the gym a lot and I had some sessions with trainer to be sure I know what I'm doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stupidjock said:

well, I'm in love with you

sorry about ruining this thread :rip: On topic - I tried to learn new language but I decided it's just not really for me. I'm going to this place once a week to draw/paint and I honestly love it even if it's kinda useless in general. I also learned how to work out, especially this year I'm going to the gym a lot and I had some sessions with trainer to be sure I know what I'm doing.

I started the gym last year too. I’d love to learn a new language but I fear it’s too late now, I’d need a proper tutor as I get too easily distracted when I’m doing it alone.

I like playing tennis but I don’t get to play it much cos all of my friends are absolutely rubbish and it’s annoying

1 hour ago, JoeAg said:

girl ditch Duolingo immediately, get yourself a notebook, a pen and a self-study book if you want to be truly dedicated :redface: 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.