Bigger decline: Speak Now, Happier Than Ever, or Guts?

BtDecember

Bigger decline: Speak Now, Happier Than Ever, or Guts?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest decline?

• Fearless —> Speak Now
    • WWFAWDWG —> Happier Than Ever
    • Sour —> Guts

12 minutes ago, KKCuteCat said:

I hope you didn't mean it's a bad thing cos Avril outlasted most of her 00s peer. And also outsold them. 

Which 00s peers?

I certainly didn't mean it in a horrible way. But Avril is not that big after Goodbye Lullaby.

Impact wise if feels like HTE was less talked about 

both GUTS and HTE have bigger hits than Speak Now 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

Which 00s peers?

I certainly didn't mean it in a horrible way. But Avril is not that big after Goodbye Lullaby.

Do the math girl. How many aritst debuted in 2000s and how many artists can still tour in arena level venue in 2024?!

Her album sales surely wasn't that strong after GL but she's remembered and still sell out arena tour in 2024. Only few of her peers can do that. 

36 minutes ago, KKCuteCat said:

Do the math girl. How many aritst debuted in 2000s and how many artists can still tour in arena level venue in 2024?!

Her album sales surely wasn't that strong after GL but she's remembered and still sell out arena tour in 2024. Only few of her peers can do that. 

Bey, Pink, Taylor, Britney if she wanted...

1 minute ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

Bey, Pink, Taylor, Britney if she wanted...

That's 4 of million aritsts debuted in 2000s. I didn't say she outlasted all of her peers. I said MOST OF. Only like 1% of the 00s artists are still known and touring now. Get real girl!

Guts. HTE (song) saved the mismanaged HTE era and there's nothing like that left on Guts.

Edited by Life Savers
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, krustysalt said:

GUTS looked like the bigger decline only because SOUR is bigger than WWAFA so the decline seems greater. Speak Now still felt like a big album even after a decline.

GUTS is still triple stomping HTE week on week since release. The gap will only increase with the tour boost :grump:

Album streams on their 161st day

GUTS – 7.6M

HTE – 4M

Billboard 200 sales on their

23rd week: GUTS – 1.3M units

50th week: HTE – 1.3M units

Biggest hit streams on their 235th days

Vampire – 2.4M streams

HTE – 1.18M streams with tour boost

Album tracks over 100M streams after 160 days

GUTS – 5

HTE – 0

:cm:  Pretty much all of this.....SOUR outdid WWAFA by so much that even though GUTS is doing better than HTE Olivia couldn't make up the difference.   So yes I guess Olivia's decline would be larger but she still ends up higher than where Billie ever was.  

• Like 1

Guts, the era came and went. At least HTE kept going thanks to the title track.

4 hours ago, Life Savers said:

Sour. HTE (song) saved the mismanaged HTE era and there's nothing like that left on Sour.  

Yes you are correct, all of the SOUR songs are out and 7 of those 11 SOUR tracks are currently out streaming that supposedly savoir HTE (song).  With those numbers the HTE(song) is no better than the lower performing SOUR tracks.

4 hours ago, RoseBud said:

Yes you are correct, all of the SOUR songs are out and 7 of those 11 SOUR tracks are currently out streaming that supposedly savoir HTE (song).  With those numbers the HTE(song) is no better than the lower performing SOUR tracks.

I made a typo and wrote Sour instead of Guts. We’re comparing sophomores. Regardless, it’s not really streams that I was thinking of. Therefore I Am peaked at 2 but that’s not what people remember or what gave Billie a new wind. HTE reminded people why she broke big in the first place and why she’s a distinct artist. I like Guts and Olivia so I’m rooting for her, but it’s evident she’s having an issue carving a niche on the market that’s her own. To my original point, lost because of the mistake, I don’t think there’s a song on Guts that can do that for Olivia. Ballad could have potentially done that, but her era was badly managed too. 

this is hard between happier than ever and guts. i think they are both very similar in terms of commercial success and impact - and i think both are seen as artistic leaps forward. i’d lean towards HTE, but i’m biased because i like guts more. 

all i know is PEAK now is sitting pretty with its million copies opening week and 2 grammys :ryan3:

decline is absolutely relative, thats why i think sour - guts is the biggest decline.

SOUR > WWAFAWDWG > Fearless in terms of overall commercial success. Yeah sure Fearless was Diamond but SOUR and WWAFA would've done way more had they been released in the same climate, based on relevant metrics today both eclipse Fearless with ease.

But the follow ups independently are Speak Now > GUTS > HTE, Speak Now was local but concentrated her domestic power even further, this was her fanbase solidified era. 5M sales too with 1M debut. HTE had poor singles rollout but great streaming, GUTS may have had 2 Top 10s and a #1 song but it kinda just came and went. HTE was definitely just a release that just was there, same with GUTS, but at a smaller scale, people didn't like Billie too during this time.

Contextualized tho, the biggest to smallest with respect to their previous eras were definitely Speak Now > HTE > GUTS, Speak Now fell from a shorter point because Fearless never peaked as high as SOUR or WWAFA commercially, WWAFA and SOUR are usually pitted with one another and SOUR competes with WWAFA on album numbers but washes it with ease in the singles department. Bad Guy may be one of the biggest songs of all time but Olivia had DL + G4U + Deja Vu on her hands (more impressive getting 3+ megahits in one album than 1 generational smash that forever defines ur commercial singles success). GUTS was a fall from such a high place of smashery compared to HTE from WWAFA its incomparable.

GUTS is the biggest decline easily.

• Like 1

Well Speak Now was a HUGE improvement from the trash that fearless was. But I love all 3 of SP/HTE/Guts so this is hard.

Speak Now > Fearless
Happier Than Ever > WWFAWDWG

Guts > Sour

The ladies all upgraded in their songwriting and productions. :bird:

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 1

happier than ever was a non-event

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.