Bigger decline: Speak Now, Happier Than Ever, or Guts?

BtDecember

Bigger decline: Speak Now, Happier Than Ever, or Guts?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest decline?

• Fearless —> Speak Now
    • WWFAWDWG —> Happier Than Ever
    • Sour —> Guts

All these albums were released right after their breakthrough albums (Fearless, WWFAWDWG, Sour). They are definitely declines from their predecessors, but which one is the biggest decline among them?

Keep it cute :cm:

happier than ever, not just decline but she lost so much fans

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Speak Now debuted with 1 MILLION sales in its first week. I wouldn't consider that a big decline from Fearless :ryan3:

Anyways the biggest decline out of them 3 was certainly SOUR to GUTS in terms of quality, sales, and charts. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 4

I’d take any of these three any day over the smash albums that preceded them

• Like 2

SOUR - 11.5B streams

GUTS - 2.3B streams

Objectively the biggest decline of the 3.

• Like 16
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

22 minutes ago, wish said:

SOUR - 11.5B streams

GUTS - 2.3B streams

ouch. 

I still think overall it’s still a big success tho. The individual album tracks are doing great numbers. It’s just that SOUR was a once in a generation success. 

• Like 5

Guts by a long shot. One of the biggest sophomore declines of the 21st century.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 10

24 minutes ago, wish said:

SOUR - 11.5B streams

GUTS - 2.3B streams

My goodness :deadbanana4:

• Thumbs Down 7

Guts and it isn't close, all three "decline" eras were some of the biggest music releases of their respective year though so who really cares :deadbanana4:

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

27 minutes ago, wish said:

SOUR - 11.5B streams

GUTS - 2.3B streams

But one has been out for like 5x longer and has multiple huge smashes, so this comparison doesn’t really work

it’s pretty hard but Guts is probably the biggest decline of the three, even if it’s not as big a decline as you’re all making it out to be

Sadly Olivia

Speak Now still gave Taylor 2 Grammys and gave her first 1 million debut album

She just failed securing Pop success that era

Billie still has Happier Than Ever, but even we didnt count it, she still has Therefore I Am

Meanwhile Vampire is less successful than HTE, not give her any Grammy, and not marking other hit

This is sad cause all these 3 albums are all my favorite, especially GUTS, I am rooting for the album so bad

• Thanks 1

I think what makes Guts' performance seem worse is that it had everything to go right. Same rollout as Sour, a #1 lead single with radio support and a lot of promo. HTE's rollout was a whole mess and there was a bit of a hate train it had to go against. Speak Now lacked big pop crossover singles but it still smashed then and it stood the test of time looking at its TV performance

• Like 6

Olivia easily. Her career seems to be going an Avril Lavigne type trajectory. Meaning she will smash with her next album :gaynetcat4:

But I think Billie is in a way better spot and will go on to have more longevity than Olivia.

1 hour ago, wish said:

SOUR - 11.5B streams

GUTS - 2.3B streams

:tsk: This is apples and oranges.  GUTS has only been out 5 months with her worldwide tour starting this week.  HTE is at 5.0B and has been out 2 years longer.  I bet GUTS easily gets there given two more years.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

GUTS

• Thumbs Down 3

Objectively this :spacer.png

HTE felt like the bigger decline for sure, especially with no radio hit…

GUTS looked like the bigger decline only because SOUR is bigger than WWAFA so the decline seems greater. Speak Now still felt like a big album even after a decline.

GUTS is still triple stomping HTE week on week since release. The gap will only increase with the tour boost :grump:

Album streams on their 161st day

GUTS – 7.6M

HTE – 4M

Billboard 200 sales on their

23rd week: GUTS – 1.3M units

50th week: HTE – 1.3M units

Biggest hit streams on their 235th days

Vampire – 2.4M streams

HTE – 1.18M streams with tour boost

Album tracks over 100M streams after 160 days

GUTS – 5

HTE – 0

Edited by krustysalt
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, RoseBud said:

:tsk: This is apples and oranges.  GUTS has only been out 5 months with her worldwide tour starting this week.  HTE is at 5.0B and has been out 2 years longer.  I bet GUTS easily gets there given two more years.  

But WWAFA has 10B. Sour is the bigger album, therefore Guts performing at HTE's level makes Guts the bigger decline. :celestial5:

I love Billie but kinda felt like Happier Than Ever

WWAFAWDWG was so massive and HTE kinda came and went. I get Guts winning the poll, but at least it had Vampire. HTE did have the title track but it felt so long after the era had started… idk.

2 hours ago, Big Bad Wolf said:

Olivia easily. Her career seems to be going an Avril Lavigne type trajectory. Meaning she will smash with her next album :gaynetcat4:

But I think Billie is in a way better spot and will go on to have more longevity than Olivia.

I hope you didn't mean it's a bad thing cos Avril outlasted most of her 00s peer. And also outsold them. 

4 hours ago, krustysalt said:

GUTS looked like the bigger decline only because SOUR is bigger than WWAFA so the decline seems greater. Speak Now still felt like a big album even after a decline.

GUTS is still triple stomping HTE week on week since release. The gap will only increase with the tour boost :grump:

Album streams on their 161st day

GUTS – 7.6M

HTE – 4M

Billboard 200 sales on their

23rd week: GUTS – 1.3M units

50th week: HTE – 1.3M units

Biggest hit streams on their 235th days

Vampire – 2.4M streams

HTE – 1.08M streams with tour boost

Album tracks over 100M streams after 160 days

GUTS – 5

HTE – 0

You expect us to believe those numbers? :rip: HTE title track was pushing 2M streams daily around that time & the album around 5M. She's still doing 3.3M daily now 2.5 years after release.

After ~165 days:

Spotify Weekly Top Albums (Global):

#20 Happier Than Ever

#23 Guts

Apple Music Top Albums (Global):

#9 Happier Than Ever (Total: 4.580 points)

#16 GUTS (Total: 2.670 points)

Tracks over 200M streams:

HTE - 5

GUTS - 3

We can do this all day :coffee2: Guts and HTE are doing pretty much equally, Guts is only bigger in the US while HTE was bigger internationally. Guts is the bigger decline bc Sour was a bigger album. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

I love Billie but kinda felt like Happier Than Ever

WWAFAWDWG was so massive and HTE kinda came and went. I get Guts winning the poll, but at least it had Vampire. HTE did have the title track but it felt so long after the era had started… idk.

Objectively, Billie suffered from a hate train at the time and HTE (the song) saved the whole era from a total flop and also she won Oscar in between the era. I know that has nothing to do with the album but it saved Billie's reputation in general so that should count. 

Guts, on the other hand, went unnoticeably. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.